Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

spekkio

Arcane
TheGreatOne

You can read my opinions about RE4 and 5 here:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...u-wasting-time-on.50372/page-195#post-3311835
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...u-wasting-time-on.50372/page-241#post-3795274

Neither 4 nor 5 are "horror games". The only horror element in 4 is the starting area (as you mentioned), which goes to shit fast. As action games, I liked 5 better (more satisfactory shootan, less QTEs). Both are shit games, but RE5 can be IMO enjoyed under certain conditions.

BTW liking or not liking some shit is 98% subjective. Why do you care if liked some game more than some other one?
"BBut BRO, shit#1 is better than shit#2, not the other way around!".

tumblr_inline_n4foafra0C1sew80h.jpg

Kisses and all.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Neither 4 nor 5 are horror games but 4 does a much better job of maintaining the image. That one part near the end of the game where you have to push a metal crate while an immortal enemy is chasing you is one of the most tense moments in the series, even if it is very short. There's also the section where you play as Ashley and can't defend yourself, nothing like that in RE5.
4: 1/3 of the game is set in a dark village: 1
5: 3/3 of the game is set in sunny Africa: 0
4 has chainsaw wielding potato sack head and regeneradors&Iron Maidens: 1
5 has a Pyramid Head clone (who dies almost instantly) and a potato sack head rehash: 0
And it has ZOMBIES WITH GUNS: -1 (the last section of RE4 was bad but it didn't have chest high walls and popamole combat where you get in firefights with zombies)
4 has creepy music (mostly in the first chapter): 1
5 has... I don't even remember what it was. Hans Zimmer knock off music?: 0
BTW liking or not liking some shit is 98% subjective. Why do you care if liked some game more than some other one?
"BBut BRO, shit#1 is better than shit#2, not the other way around!".
I don't care about your personal preferences, but Codex is pretty much the only gaming forum I know where "c'mon bro every one is entitled to their own opinens!!" plebs/neofags and subjectivism aren't a widespread problem.
5445.jpg

Besides, at quick glance your reasoning seems retarded. You ranted and raved about the awfulness of RE5 a lot more and gave the vanilla game a lower score and only upped the it because of a mod that fixes problems that are inherent to the games bad design.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The village is DARK omg so spooky.

Because fire fights with zombies are scary.
Technically speaking, guns are much more scary than pitchforks and knifes.

Neither 4 nor 5 are horror games but 4 does a much better job of maintaining the image.
So RE4 isn't a horror game but I should somewhat pretend it is. Hmmm...

Anyway:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...y-horror-focused-game-if-re-remake-sold-well/

When it came to actually making RE4, Shinji would tell the development team “that fun gameplay is the most important thing.” The second thing is nothing, and the third thing “is to be scary.” Then, as we all know, Resident Evil 4 “sold really well” and is available on a multitude of different platforms.

But hey, a pseudo-horror atmosphere is the reason I play action games :M

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I liked RE4. It's the one that got me interested in the entire franchise to begin with, so I can't really bring myself to hate it.

:dance:

A horse of course

When I was a teenager, I had my hair cut and gelled to look like Seifer from Final Fantasy VIII :smug:

Best flat-chested medic: Rebecca

Rebecca was actually retconed to have a whiff of cleavage.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
The village is DARK omg so spooky.
So RE4 isn't a horror game but I should somewhat pretend it is.
That's kind of the point of horror retard. I didn't say that Resident Evil 4 is a legit horror game but that it establishes a horror mood far better than RE5, which has less quiet moments, less build up and a more bright and less threatening setting.

Technically speaking, guns are much more scary than pitchforks and knifes.
No they're not. Crude melee weapons are more scary because being hit with an axe/butcher knife/mace hurts like fuck and takes many agonizing, bone shattering blows to kill you where as a bullet can kill you almost instantly. Even when a bullet doesn't kill you, the energy is concentrated on a far smaller area, meaning a penetrating effect (hollow points aside) rather than a sloppy blow that hits a large area of your body. Some one with a melee weapon is going to chase after you while some one with a gun is going to stand still and aim at you. Remember how in Texas Chainsaw Massacre and all the other iconic slasher flics the big scary guys stood still, held their breath and concentrated really hard to make a shot? No, they chased after their victims, which causes more panic and prolongues the tension.
And zombies firing guns is retarded, there's no exuse for that. If you're getting into a firefight, then an opponent that isn't slow and brainless is far more menancing. Liike Predator.

But hey, a pseudo-horror atmosphere is the reason I play action games :M
Worked pretty well in Thief. Return to the Cathedral, Robbing the Cradle. And I didn't say that people play RE4 because of the horror, just that it does horror better than RE5.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
And I didn't say that people play RE4 because of the horror, just that it does horror better than RE5.

Sure, you're right here, but both games do horror so poorly that it doesn't matter which one is even worse than the other one. They are third person shooters, and since RE5 does the action stuff better, it's more enjoyable to play.

Lerk

Learned
I'm currently ploughing through RE6. I have to admit, it is every bit as bad as I'd been lead to believe. Capcom don't seem to have decided whether they were making a game or a movie, so they turned out something that failed at being either. At least RE5 had a game amidst the wreckage.

I heard that Revelations/2 is a return to some measure of old school form. Is this true? I really need to wipe this turd off my shoe.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I heard that Revelations/2 is a return to some measure of old school form. Is this true? I really need to wipe this turd off my shoe.

Yes. They are no hardcore survival horror games, but certainly a big step to the right direction. Revelations 1 goes full retard with the action in few parts, but it's otherwise very good. Revelations 2 has even less shooting.

ultimanecat

Arcane
No love for the random human-trafficked teenager they got to play Jill in the original PSX version?

tumblr_nj96o3wzLJ1shrrj0o1_500.jpg

Supposedly she's an Irish actress, although Shinji Mikami stated in an interview she was a high school girl who couldn't act and made shooting difficult

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
No love for the random human-trafficked teenager they got to play Jill in the original PSX version?

tumblr_nj96o3wzLJ1shrrj0o1_500.jpg

Supposedly she's an Irish actress, although Shinji Mikami stated in an interview she was a high school girl who couldn't act and made shooting difficult

She's lovely
:love: But there's too little material. Overall, the FMV stuff in the original version is just plain awesome, especially Chris and Wesker. Kinda reminds me of Evil Dead with the low budget and campiness.

A horse of course

Finished the obscenely difficult Resident Evil: Gaiden using the VisualBoyAdvance emulator. For anyone who liked the resource-management aspect of survival horror, this title will not only give you a blowjob only a vacuum cleaner could match, it will also finger your asshole as a bonus.

The basic level design and player trajectory is very similar to traditional titles - explore a semi-linear location and find missing keys to open up the next floor, then turn around and run halfway across the map to trigger the next scripted event (sometimes finding your original path blocked off). When a zombie spots you, it will lunge and initiate combat. Combat is RT first-person and involves hitting the fire button when the speeding highlight is in the middle of an enemy selection bar. Closer enemies have larger bars and suffer more damage, but of course can now damage you with melee attacks. There's a good chance that being attacked by one enemy will drag nearby foes into the battle and sometimes spawn new zombies from the side of the screen. None of the foes (aside from a boss) hae ranged attacks and zombies are the only enemy type you'll face, with blue variants being stronger, faster, more alert and farther-reaching with their melee attacks.

Technically, you have a "party" of sorts once Barry, the protagonist, picks up Leon Kennedy and Lucia, a survivor. Although you can switch between them and assign them their own weapons, I didn't see the point to this since only one character can attack at a time. I suppose it helps spread damage across the party, but there are certain points where you'll randomly lose control of someone, only to switch back to them much later with the same health they had when they left. Later in the game, this lead to an impossible situation where a miniboss would be fought immediately after regaining control of Barry and would instantly kill him due to his low health, forcing me to go back two save points to before I lost control. A rather annoying oversight.

It is literally impossible to complete this game without running past as many enemies as possible, AND switching to your knife to fight the dozens of trash mobs you can't avoid in the tight corridors. Not only will enemies constantly respawn, but constant backtracking is necessary to try and find that ONE random zombie who happens to have a key item on them somewhere. Moreover, the bosses you run into require your best weapons to fight - and a lot of ammo to go with them, as after the first boss, encounters are no longer about inflicting maximum damage to a boss, but inflicting a consistent amount of damage within a short time period to keep pushing the enemy back, which in effect means pulling off almost-perfect consecutive critical hits seven-to-fifteen times with your best armaments.

There are ony three save slots for the fourteen scripted save locations in the game, and they're pretty well paced since you're going to want to reload and think about taking a different route or finding more items when you run into an impossible scenario.

The plot is typical of RE: Escaped B.O.W. in an isolated location, Umbrella special forces coming to clean up and steal the research, double-crosses etc. I'm not going to bother spoiler-tagging the ending since it's a fucking gameboy game and is non-canonical anyway - Leon appears to be either dead or vanished and has been replaced by a special green-blooded Tyrant that disguises itself as the original. I like to think this is commentary on Resident Evil 4 :smug:

N.B. There are NO waifus

Retrogamer did a feature on the game a while back, uploaded by BioHaze:
vGwRsVI.png
x0NCyGO.png
yRgrIKT.png
wFaF6sg.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Luka-boy

Arcane
That was probably the most informative post I've ever seen about Gaiden. I've always heard it was shit without any reasoning behind those opinions, but it seems there's some pretty hardcore resource management in the game, which sounds like a big plus to me.

I can't get over this photo from that magazine scan, though :lol:
1gfpnn.jpg

A horse of course

I've always heard it was shit without any reasoning behind those opinions, but it seems there's some pretty hardcore resource management in the game, which sounds like a big plus to me.

Well it's undoubtedly a trial-and-error sort of resource management. The ideal way to play would be to kill and explore as much as possible after a save point, then reload it and avoid the rooms/enemies that take up your ammo without giving anything useful in return. In REmake I felt like most rooms had something useful, even if it wasn't useful at that particular time (spare grenades, magnum clips etc.). I'm not really a fan of that aspect of SurvHor anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom