Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

bonescraper

Castle is the point where the game goes from a horror atmosphere with a spooky cult, insane and hostile locals, and a decaying village filled with all sorts of sick shit, to a completely bugfuck insane action movie with weird puzzles, magma pits installed with machines that spit fire, and a giant mecha statue of the insane midget owner of the castle.
Exactly. I think i like RE4 the least out of the whole series because of that. Not because it's necessarily a bad game by itself, but because it starts really atmospheric, yet ruins all mystery and horror somwhere after the first quarter of the game. It really is that big of a deal for me, RE4 could be the best RE game atmosphere-wise, but it ends up being the worst. At least with RE5 and 6 you know what you're getting into from the start.

ultimanecat

Arcane
To me, the castle chapters are probably the peak of RE4's gameplay, even if they do indicate the beginning of the decline in atmosphere.

The last couple times I've decided to do a run-through of RE4 for old times' sake, I had to mentally push myself a bit to finish once I hit the island. By that point, the atmosphere is completely off the rails with the sort-of creepy medieval cultists replaced with some strange Mad Max aesthetic, and most of the set-pieces are variations on seeing how many enemies you can handle at once.

That being said, RE4's inconsistencies are still pretty fun compared to the El Gigante fight in the jeep that I failed over and over again in RE5.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Think you guys kinda misunderstood. I still enjoyed the Castle section, just as a sort of corny, borderline horror comedy ("NO THANKS, 'BRO'") rather than a straight horror experience after the village section. Plus as ultimanecat says the game still has plenty of spooky moments after, the introduction of Regenerators in particular.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To me, the castle chapters are probably the peak of RE4's gameplay, even if they do indicate the beginning of the decline in atmosphere.

The last couple times I've decided to do a run-through of RE4 for old times' sake, I had to mentally push myself a bit to finish once I hit the island. By that point, the atmosphere is completely off the rails with the sort-of creepy medieval cultists replaced with some strange Mad Max aesthetic, and most of the set-pieces are variations on seeing how many enemies you can handle at once.

That being said, RE4's inconsistencies are still pretty fun compared to the El Gigante fight in the jeep that I failed over and over again in RE5.

I've always liked the Los Illuminados monks which reminded me of the cultists in Blood. Their haunting and creepy voices were great.

3426monks_copy.jpg

A horse of course

I'm still pretty early into Code Weronika. It's crazy how much ammo I'm being given, though there are a huge number of rooms where it's very difficult to dodge the zombies. The Bandersnatch made me laugh :lol:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I'm still pretty early into Code Weronika. It's crazy how much ammo I'm being given, though there are a huge number of rooms where it's very difficult to dodge the zombies.

Oh, you'll need that ammo...

bosses.jpg

A horse of course

I'm still pretty early into Code Weronika. It's crazy how much ammo I'm being given, though there are a huge number of rooms where it's very difficult to dodge the zombies.

Oh, you'll need that ammo...

bosses.jpg

Is there a Resident Evil game that DOESN'T have Tyrantbutt?

Last edited by a moderator:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just finished HD Remaster and it was pretty awesome. I have never played the original, so I had no idea that the game was so heavy on puzzles and exploration, but it was a pleasant surprise. The game also looks amazing, especially considering that it's based on the 2002 Gamecube remake.

Only things that annoyed me were the occasional retarded camera angles and the camera angle switching that messed up my sense of direction and controls and got me caught in a deathtrap twice :argh:

A horse of course

It felt to me as if Woad Weronika had more puzzles than REmake. I even had to WRITE STUFF DOWN

:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

for one of them (the clock rotation/digits puzzle in the office with the secret passage to Alexia's retreat).

Last edited by a moderator:

dunno lah

Arcane
Speaking of writing down clues for puzzles, did any of you complete the clock rotation puzzle in RE3's clock tower the right way i.e. not brute forcing through it like a certain somebody?

A horse of course

It seems like Gun Survivor can't be played on pcsx2 without horrible black lines through it. I'll probably give it a go but otherwise I'll move straight on to Revelations. I played an hour or so of Gaiden (the gameboy one) and I doubt I'll touch either of the Outbreaks or Umbrella Chronicles 2.

Speaking of writing down clues for puzzles, did any of you complete the clock rotation puzzle in RE3's clock tower the right way i.e. not brute forcing through it like a certain somebody?

I haven't played RE3 since I was a youngster so I can pretty much guarantee I was using a walkthrough

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I enjoyed the both Outbreak games a lot back in the days. It have some nice and interesting ideas, but the chapters were short and the allies AI was improvable.

latest

And Alyssa was a nice waifu too :desu:

A horse of course

I've started Resident Evil: Dead Aim AKA Gun Survivor 4: Biohazard

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

There doesn't seem to be any way to play at 1080p without the black lines but I've gotten used to them and pretended it's part of the dev's autistic vision.

A horse of course

Finished Derp Aim. I was under the impression it was a prototype for The Umbrella Chronicles (an on-rails lightgun shooter), which is incorrect. Whilst you can use a lightgun, this is only relevant in first-person shooting mode. You actually control your character in a manner similar to Resident Evil 4 - 3rd-person, over the shoulder with shitty turning (at several points I was grabbed by zombies before I could walk into a door at the right angle). I quite liked the ealy sections on the cruise ship - there was a bit of backtracking and exploration, though no secrets or puzzles. There were a few jump scares with enemies falling out of closets, suicide victims reanimating on their ropes, zombies hidden in bathrooms and such, which worked well in the 3rd-person camera. There were some really silly instances where zombies would spawn completely out of nowhere, with no logical explanation as to how they even got there (muh verisimilitude). After that it's a trip to the tunnels and of course the mandatory Umbrella labs, which are pretty short. The paltry length of the game was a little sweet and sour - you always felt you were just a few minutes from the next story beat or new area, which helped keep the skeletal narrative feel tight and concentrated and let me play through the whole game in just three 1-2hr sittings, but it also meant the cruise ship missed the slight sense of menace Revelations was able to build up with The Queen Zenobia (which Capcom quickly did their best to fuck up too).

None of the other RE characters appear in the game in any form at all - it's just the amusingly-accented Bruce McGivern, Fong Ling (what is it with Capcom and Chinese spies?) and a transexual Tyrant with armoured high heels. Which was refreshing for a RE game (I doubt they would ever risk a title without Jill/Chris/Claire/Leon these days) but means the game is probably non-canon.

A horse of course

KnWt3Jy.png

:desu:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom