Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

spekkio

Arcane
This looks totally shit.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
- There are constant references to the original Resident Evil
-They say those who expect this to not feel like Resident Evil will probably be pleasently surprised, it oozes with charm of the series and has a number of moments that may make old-time fans nostalgic.
-Apparently references to all entries of the series is huge, there's nods to everything from the original to RE6. You might be surprised how clever some of them are, and the magazine says while they can't say what they are, some of them are glorious.
--"The moody environment is only the first layer of the onion that is re7. As you remove layers, you will shed tears of nostalgia. at last!" (The corridor with bluish glow picture)

:argh:

This shit isn't fun, it's just annoying. Constant references and callbacks just come off as desperate, obnoxious, try-hard and juvenile and they only appeal to teenagers (who read this stuff on the internet etc.) and retards because they can constantly feel awesome and clever because they got the reference.

Also, this modern first-person horror is shit.

Also, no Jill, no buy (until 75% off).

Brother Rat

Novice
I haven't played any of the Resident Evil games, but some of the rule 34 they've spawned is pretty good. Shame there won't be any waifus in this one. Definitely decline.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
When is the remake of RE2 coming out? That's the only thing I'm interested in.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
It looks and from what the guy said sounds a lot better than I thought it would be. Damn shame they made it with VR in mind though and also looks a little bit too clunky and slow for my liking.

garren

Arcane
Patron
First person horror games are cool, but I'm not sure it's the right choice for resident evil.

I wish they made more new games in the vein of RE 1-3. Just copy the RE1 remaster formula, I heard it sold pretty well.

Hell, make a spinoff series with a new name using the old formula, like revelations 1-2 didn't follow the main numbering.

A horse of course

Mikami stated that the shift happened in Resident Evil 4 due to several failed attempts at creating a proper sequel (resulting in Devil May Cry and multiple abandoned prototypes, google "Resident Evil 3.5") and Capcom quite flatly threatening to shut down the series if the fourth game didn't expand the game's audience.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just copy the RE1 remaster formula
Wasn't the shift to action primarily because the remaster didn't sell up to expectations?
I doubt it, they sold over a million copies of the HD remaster.
talking about when the remaster originally released.

Mikami stated that the shift happened in Resident Evil 4 due to several failed attempts at creating a proper sequel (resulting in Devil May Cry and multiple abandoned prototypes, google "Resident Evil 3.5") and Capcom quite flatly threatening to shut down the series if the fourth game didn't expand the game's audience.
this, but it paid off because RE4 was great.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Just copy the RE1 remaster formula
Wasn't the shift to action primarily because the remaster didn't sell up to expectations?
I doubt it, they sold over a million copies of the HD remaster.
talking about when the remaster originally released.

this, but it paid off because RE4 was great.
That probably had more to do with the remake being exclusively made for the fucking gamecube. And Resident Evil 4 was utter shit, but I won't get into that anymore.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You really can't convince the kids that played these pseudo-action games that RE4 ruined the formula thou. Good of you for trying, but their 'objections' turn around 'fixed camera' and 'tank controls' to try to get some legitimacy, which only shows they're mentally deficient because fixed camera had much more pleasant scenes (especially in code veronica that had pans) and RE4 over the shoulder camera made for tank controls 10 times worse than any other RE, where you actually couldn't turn without moving iirc.

Kids today get excited about moving a camera like it was some fundamental rule of gaming interaction, when a good camera should be transparent or completely irrelevant (like a fixed one is).

What really gets me going about the decline of RE is rpg elements (what else would invent the abomination called level scaling) and their tie in to multiplayer. Pretty pathetic, and RE4 is not when it got actually unbearable.

REmake had a wii version actually. It's what i prefer, if you use the classic controller.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
You really can't convince the kids that played these pseudo-action games that RE4 ruined the formula thou. Good of you for trying, but their 'objections' turn around 'fixed camera' and 'tank controls' to try to get some legitimacy, which only shows they're mentally deficient because fixed camera had much more pleasant scenes (especially in code veronica that had pans) and RE4 over the shoulder camera made for tank controls 10 times worse than any other RE, where you actually couldn't turn without moving iirc.

Kids today get excited about moving a camera like it was some fundamental rule of gaming interaction, when a good camera should be transparent or completely irrelevant (like a fixed one is).

What really gets me going about the decline of RE is rpg elements (what else would invent the abomination called level scaling) and their tie in to multiplayer. Pretty pathetic, and RE4 is not when it got actually unbearable.

REmake had a wii version actually. It's what i prefer, if you use the classic controller.
You don't have to convince anyone that RE4 ruined the RE formula. It is quite apparent that Capcom or whoever wasn't following the RE formula in developing RE4 and it didn't matter. Resident Evil 4 stands very well on its own and succeeded in what it wanted to be, it had no pretense about being a survival horror game in the vein of RE1 - 3.

In the long run a moving camera was superior to the fixed camera, especially for an action game. Just like how a moving camera worked far better when Devil May Cry started using it and when the 3D zelda's started using it too. This isn't new shit either, its quite old.

That probably had more to do with the remake being exclusively made for the fucking gamecube. And Resident Evil 4 was utter shit, but I won't get into that anymore.
Resident Evil 4 is the best Resident Evil and its Capcom and Nintendo's fault for exclusivity. Still doesn't matter though because the best RE was released.:P

Ash

Arcane
RE4 is the most fun and enjoyable singleplayer RE, but I'm not sure if it's the most fully realized, most horrific, most artistic of the bunch. That would go to RE1 (original release from 1996) :obviously:

sullynathan

Arcane
also, quick question. Why did RE5 remove the inventory of RE4 and go back to RE1 style one-slot per item inventory? The former is superior to the latter. Can you upgrade your inventory space later on?

is Edward The Mediocre , Ed123 's alt?

Ash

Arcane
Co-op.

Proper Grid based inventories, glorious as they are, demand extensive management. That + co-op = arguments to hurry the fuck up managing your inventory. Currently that only happens in the mid-mission screen, but mid-game it'd be a bit of a clusterfuck for a straightforward action game.

considering 5 is a co-op game at heart the system they went with makes a lot of sense.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Resident Evil 4 is a very fun action game to play but it should have been a spin-off or something. The original formula is much more interesting and unique.

Only if you think that NuDOOM is better than the originals, you fucking pleb.

What I noticed from RE4 when it was released was while a enjoyable game, had noticeable flaws that would not be corrected and only would get worse as the series went on. The sense of horror was still here and there in RE4, but was clearly nonexistent by RE6. The chapter system in re4 allowed you to backtrack for the most part but in re6 it became nothing more than a stupid checkpoint save system. QTEs were novel at first in RE4, were fucking annoying by RE6. Giving enemies guns seemed like a bad idea considering that xbows were a pain the ass already and the chain gun enemies were only on the island in RE4. I honestly get the same vibes about NuDoom that I had when I played RE4.

sullynathan

Arcane
Only if you think that NuDOOM is better than the originals, you fucking pleb.

What I noticed from RE4 when it was released was while a enjoyable game, had noticeable flaws that would not be corrected and only would get worse as the series went on. The sense of horror was still here and there in RE4, but was clearly nonexistent by RE6. The chapter system in re4 allowed you to backtrack for the most part but in re6 it became nothing more than a stupid checkpoint save system. QTEs were novel at first in RE4, were fucking annoying by RE6. Giving enemies guns seemed like a bad idea considering that xbows were a pain the ass already and the chain gun enemies were only on the island in RE4. I honestly get the same vibes about NuDoom that I had when I played RE4.
I have no clue what you're talking about Ed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom