Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 5 actually *is* terrible

A horse of course

RE6 is worse than RE5

The next person to post "b-bu-but X is fun in co-op" is cursed to see their first-born child die in their arms.

Couldn't stand more than an hour of RE6. 5 is decent fun despite annoying QTE sequences. I found AI partner competent enough on Veteran. Professional is clearly meant for co-op only though unless you do something lame like give AI magnum with infinite ammo.
Might buy Gold Edition at 75% off.

baturinsky

Arcane
I don't understand hatred for RE6. It's the first game in series that has humane controls. And you don't have to babysit your partner. QTEs are abundant, but easy.

spekkio

Arcane
So far RE5 Gold PC is typical Capcom:
- they removed Dx10 version entirely,
- performance is worse than vanilla,
- you can't import your old saves yet (they're still working on importing program),
- people report new bugs,
- you have to complete the game again to unlock all new features (since you can't import your old saves yet),
- vanilla currently costs 6,8 steuro, while the gold 19,6 euro - not that I plan paying for it...

:bravo:

DX10 was identical to DX9 anyway? Though the listed system requirements did puzzle me. Minimum reqs :
  • Processor:Intel Core™ 2 Quad 2.4GHz or better, AMD Phenom™ II x4 3.4GHZ or better
  • Memory:4GB or better
  • Graphics:512 MB VRAM, NVIDIA® GeForce 9800 series or better, ATI Radeon HD 7770 or better
  • Display:Minimum 800 x 600 pixel resolution

That system could run this game fully maxed out including AA at pretty much steady 60fps and now it's minimum? It didn't even need 4GB RAM, 2GB was fully enough. And I ran it on dual core CPU with a GTS250 which is equivalent to 9800 fully maxed back then. They didn't make any graphics changes, did they?

spekkio

Arcane
Some people claim that graphics look "slightly better" others say that textures are more blurry. :?

Ebonsword

Arcane
I don't understand hatred for RE6. It's the first game in series that has humane controls. And you don't have to babysit your partner. QTEs are abundant, but easy.

Exactly. The controls alone are enough to make RE6 better than RE5 (and RE4, for that matter).

Yes I couldn't stop admiring controls while being constantly interrupted by cutscenes and QTE sections. After an hour I just lost any hope of getting any actual gameplay. Didn't see the point of sticking with the game that seemed to actively try to make me hate it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Some people claim that graphics look "slightly better" others say that textures are more blurry. :?

People who unwittingly play their games on their shitty Laptop IGP instead the dedicated GPU complain all the time about performance.

There is no performance degradation in RE5 Gold, and DX10 was removed due to incompatibility issues in Win 8/10.

spekkio

Arcane
So, I non-removed the Gold version and performance seems fine (solid 60 FPS all the time). Newshit (clean save):

Unlockable characters for Versus mode:

eDSKtti.jpg

Which is unlocked right away:

eK2v14E.jpg

g5Z2pbG.jpg

While "Mercenaries" mode isn't. Weird.
There's also some new shit for collectorfags:

3AiyKpe.jpg

Two costumes are unclocked right away:

ORdAYNb.jpg

yn5MI3l.jpg

Some people baaaw that 2 costumes were removed from this version and you have to buy them separately. I think these are just locked for now, same way as in vanilla.
Anyway, the game itself looks the same as vanilla:

ESDfsfy.jpg

Except some weird "cel-shading" - more in "Screenshots" thread.

baturinsky

Arcane
Yes I couldn't stop admiring controls while being constantly interrupted by cutscenes and QTE sections. After an hour I just lost any hope of getting any actual gameplay. Didn't see the point of sticking with the game that seemed to actively try to make me hate it.
I have probably just get used to them enough to not notice anymore.They are simple and predictable enough, except maybe plane landing. I'm more annoyed by RE4 and RE5 cutscene going-cutscene going-or-wait-press the button-press the button-where is the button-you are dead QTEs.

Ackermanus

Educated
There's an option to automatically succeed in (most?) QTEs in RE6, came with a patch, at least on the PC version. Which is a godsend, because I can see the game being infinitely more enjoyable with it. Shame I never got to try it out because I wasn't sure if it also worked on gameplay QTEs, which would have made a lot of segments easier.

While on the subject, all in all I actually enjoyed that game. Agent hunt is fun (both as the zombies - pardon, B.O.W.s - and as the agents), at least once you get used to the creature controls, which I assume are clunky on purpose: agent hunt is hard enough on the humans as is, assuming you aren't a fag playing on the lower difficulties or with infinite ammo. Also, Leon's campaign is mostly entertaining, and Ada's campaign is incredibly fun early on. Played on Professional, with no continues (that is, when I died, I restarted from the beginning of that chapter - say 1-3 - else you recover your heath, making the game much easier).

I think the game loses its luster when enemies start using guns though. First because enemy weapons lack any real impact: you have to take 5-6 shots to lose a health bar (and thus get knockdown), so they feel less threatening even if, objectively, they often aren't (depending on how much cover you have). The exception (enemy snipers) can be neglected by simply sprinting. Second because, if you have cover, it becomes the worst kind of popamole possible: enemies aren't hard, but they take forever to kill (since usually your best bet is to shoot the head and then stomp them once they go down - but if you leave cover, you get filled with bullets).

That means that two out of four campaigns are "meh" most of the time (you do have sections against melee enemies). The others are far more entertaining, although in the later chapters they get quite easier because 1: ammo stops becoming an issue, so the hand-to-hand part of the game is mostly neglected, and 2: You level up your skills enough that enemies because far less of a threat. The firepower skill mostly just negates the enemy HP bloat, but the defense and breakout skills make the undead much less threatening. And of course, QTEs are bullshit.

So, while I am sad that this game means the old school REs are gone (I have fond memories of, as a kid, watching my cousin playing RE2), I think, if by some miracle they actually polish the game and focus on the better aspects of it (again, earlier parts of the two better campaigns) the series could become seriously fun, especially on multiplayer. Not betting on that happening though.

In any case, since I ranted long enough about RE 6, I'm curious about the fifth installment, as well as about Operation Raccoon City. I skipped both because this thread is the first place where I see prestigious individuals defending either game. Any of you fine gentlemen care to elaborate on why you think RE 5 (or ORC) is the superior game? And, on that note, would you recommend it over Revelations 2?

baturinsky

Arcane
ORC is a RE-themed poor man's Modern Warfare.
RE5 is worth playing at least once. Controls are inferior to RE6/Revelations, but way better than RE1-4. Sheva will spend ammo and be hit, requiring healing, but most of the time she act intelligently enough. She even collects nearby loot.

Last edited:

Ackermanus

Educated
Alright, gave in and bought RE5. Was only 7 euros on steam, so why not. Also managed to convince a friend that if he didn't get it, the terrorists would win, and he concurred. We'll likely be able to play tomorrow evening. Will bitch or fanboygasm post valuable impressions then.

ultimanecat

Arcane
RE5 is an acceptable co-op shooter and has a pretty nifty score-attack mode, if you're into those sort of things.

Playing the Story mode alone, however, was one of the more exasperating gameplay experiences I've had in recent memory - mostly because I really want to like RE games, and I also generally choose to play games on the hardest initial difficulty available. So don't do that unless the idea of arbitrary failure sexually excites you, as the game is not balanced around dragging the AI through kill box after kill box, your weaponry will be barely sufficient to get you through things, and any useful item the AI touches might as well be set on fire in front of you on the petty whims of its robot mind.

That said, the AI can use rifles somewhat capably, so if all else fails give it one and a few rounds and you can pretend for short periods like you're not playing the version of RE4 where the dog you save early on follows you and randomly chooses to eat found rat poison.

Never had big problems with AI on Veteran difficulty, pretty sure a lot of my friends would play even dumber. Gave her assault and sniper rifles and majority of healing items, worked out fine. Kept for myself pistol, shotgun, magnum and all grenades. I'd wager she saved my ass no less times than I've had to save hers and at least AI doesn't fail the damn QTE sections. Of course it's still AI and as such it can't be equal to a good human player, but as far as companion AI goes I don't recall playing a game with a better one.

bonescraper

RE5 is better than RE6, period.

The only thing i really dislike about this game is the inventory hotkey system in Mercenaries. I guess it works fine if you're using a gamepad (weapons are assigned to the cross selector?), but when you're using keyboard and mouse it really fucks up Mercenaries mode. Usually your weapons are bound to 2 4 6 and 8, and that fucking pisses me off. In the campaign you can shiwth weapon slots so you can eaily bind them to 1 2 3 etc.

Also, in the Lost in Nightmares DLC, the easter-egg fixed camera mode can't be played with keyboard and mouse.

Perkel

Arcane
It is only bad when you treat it seriously.
Same with RE4.

Still RE3 is probably pinacle of RE for me. Replayed it like 10-15 times on hard one after another to get cool shit.

It helps when you just stop thinking about story and if you didn't then it will give you nudge to do so when Chris will punch rolling boulder few times moving it away.

Getting that headshot while zombie is falling was a bitch though took me hours on mercenary mode.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Listen, it's a shit RE game. It was fun as hell playing with a buddy of mine, but it was an on-rails game.
I don't disagree. Bad RE game ... but good game. "On rails" doesn't characterize it that well either - although you move from set piece to set piece, most of the combat areas are interestingly designed and give you plenty of room to move and exercise tactics. Only the boss fights feel truly on rails to me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom