Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Ventidius

Arbiter
Have you played Mercs 3D? It is essentially the same system as 4/5, no drawbacks at all, no "cooldown", just more comfortable and smooth, and that game retained the skill ceiling of the older Mercs, even if it lowered the skill floor a bit with that feature. The only issue was the crappy portable controls that didn't gel well with the shooting mechanics, but that shouldn't be a problem in other platforms.
But you've seen gameplay from RE2Remake right? There is a drawback when you move while aiming. So I keep my question.

Well, you quoted me analyzing some of the previous combat systems with their pros and cons, and how Capcom could learn from them for the new remake, I wasn't exactly defending the new one. Not that there is much to defend atm, is there? We don't know much about it yet, and videos can only go so far in giving you an idea of how it will be. We'll have to wait and see until it comes out to know how it stacks up overall to the previous systems.

Did you play Resident Evil 1 as Chris? Ammo and inventory management is peak there. Chris has less inventory slots, finds less weapons, and less ammo overall. Also no lockpick, but small keys. Meaning carrying even less healing or armament for a period.

Played it as both him and Jill. But I already said that first game was the only one where I really thought inventory management was a thing that had to be thought about. Although later stuff like REMake it's not really a problem. Actually played through it first as Chris when I got it for the Saturn, so I was pretty surprised when I went over to Jill and I started with a gun, didn't have to have keys, and was just able to bypass the panio and shotgun puzzle, and the Plant 42 boss fight. Although I got pretty good at killing zombies with my knife as Chirs in that version.

While i'm okay with the direction of the camera and combat they're going for this game, i'm disappointed that they didn't make the inventory menu real time like it was in RE7. Having to access the item menu when there's enemies around really creates nerve wracking tension. Granted it doesn't happen that often in RE 7 since you have 4 quick weapon slots and a quick heal button, but when you have to, *muwah*. Also I think they should of brought back the spare magazine mechanic from RE: outbreak. If you didn't have one in your inventory your character had to reload the hand gun by bullet, by bullet, by bullet. It would be great to have the player to solve a puzzle to get one as a reward.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Jordan Mcewen has been confirmed as the actress portraying Claire redfield in the remake

DhfJcsfX0AIumCo.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/jordan.mcewen/

Japan love these skinny ladies

kalganoat

Savant
and her ingame model looks nothing like her. Same with Leon.

What's up with capcom's inability to scan people's face?

Machocruz

Arcane
In a way, you can think of earlier RE, especially 1, as simulations of zombie fiction. A knife isn't particularly good against something that can't feel pain. Melee in general is a non starter -suplexing a zombie in something like Dawn of the Dead or Return of the Living Dead (video game developers won't touch that movie's very-hard-to-kill take on zombies) would just get a character bit or brought down by the rest of the mob. You can only carry so much on your person. Ammunition is finite and static in the world. I think this was interesting and unique at the time, although it's been done better now by games like Cataclysm that take simulation and survival 1000x further. By the time RE4 comes around, all pretense of survival simulation has been completely shed, to the detriment of what made the other games stand out, but to the benefit of a standout action game. The arcadey bombast that Japan is so good at comes to the fore. You can even supersize your briefcase at a nutjob vendor.

Two different styles of game design. Some people out there feel the need to try to massage RE4s design into something it's not to defend it against those who say it's not really RE, which is true if you are of the mind that origins and established (gameplay) themes are definitive. If you reskinned RE4s characters and items to have no relation to the previous games -med packs instead of green herbs, Joe Gunz instead of Leon Kennedy, etc- I doubt anyone would think that it's tied to the others in any identifiable and crucial way. And that's ok, it is what it be.

Momock

Augur
Yeah but no. The game has some quirks/features that come directly form classic RE, that wouldn't be there if it was totally something new and not related to RE in some way, and these quirks made the game what it is (awesome).

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah but no. The game has some quirks/features that come directly form classic RE, that wouldn't be there if it was totally something new and not related to RE in some way, and these quirks made the game what it is (awesome).
Devil may cry disagrees with you since it was a re4 prototype and you can still see the similarities with re.
Like what?

Deflowerer

Arcane

The point of contention isn't that RE4 is if it's a good or bad game, majority of both sides agree that it's good, but rather that it's a resident evil game or not.

Of course it is, since it's set in the same universe.

Not to mention the escalation of the conflict in RE universe towards global bioterrorism was there from Day 1.

Last edited:
Limited camera perceptive, lock on feature, the flavor text when you examine crap, keys and locked doors (although most of the time is just locked until your defeat the baddies in the room). Although specifically with RE4, enemies drop currency, there is health upgrades you find around the game, you buy upgrades in a shop (in DMC1 it's either before a mission or at certain statues), a good chunk of the game is in a castle.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Of course it is, since it's set in the same universe.

Not to mention the escalation of the conflict in RE universe towards global bioterrorism was there from Day 1.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Would you still say it's a RE game if RE4 was just RE themed checkers?

Give me a break, I could pull the same strawman by asking if anything with fixed camera perspectives, locked doors, a mansion and zombies would still be a Resident Evil game if it was called La Creatura.

Machocruz

Arcane
Limited camera perceptive, lock on feature, the flavor text when you examine crap, keys and locked doors (although most of the time is just locked until your defeat the baddies in the room). Although specifically with RE4, enemies drop currency, there is health upgrades you find around the game, you buy upgrades in a shop (in DMC1 it's either before a mission or at certain statues), a good chunk of the game is in a castle.
I meant how does DMC reveal the similarities between RE4 and, say RE 1. Feels like a bridge between the two poles. DMC had camera perspectives like classic RE, which 4 doesn't have, mixed with camera tracking, which RE4 does have. RE4's aiming is completely manual, unlike the other two. Flavor text they all share but I'm not sure if I'd call that a significant or crucial design similarity. Same with keys, which is just general adventure game shit. The items stuff and the castle definitely is similar between RE4 and DMC, no doubt.

But it's interesting how Capcom games inform each other. You can trace Dragon's Dogma all the way back to Magic Sword, for example, and of course the Monster Hunter similarities. SF2 informed a ton of their games.

And thanks for reminding me how awesome DMC1 was. It was as much of a game changer as RE1 and RE4.

Give me a break, I could pull the same strawman by asking if anything with fixed camera perspectives, locked doors, a mansion and zombies would still be a Resident Evil game if it was called La Creatura.
If it played and felt the same as resident evil isn't not a strawman but the truth?:positive: I mean most people consider dark souls to be a sequel to demon souls even though demon souls was a sony exclusive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom