Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News Report: BioWare Montreal scaled down, Mass Effect series on hiatus

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 12, 2017.

1. Morality Gamesgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    I doubt SJW culture was the primary reason for Andromeda's failure (low production values and a dumb open world did that). However, SJW culture at Bioware did make them forget the fundamentals of entertainment in a way that even fully committed Hollywood SJWs like J.J. Abrams would never consider doing: sex sells, and everyone wants to be hot and have sex with hot people.

Even Gaider 100% knew that.

The goal is to take this kind of shallow wish fulfillment and turn it into a meaningful setting/story like the Witcher 3. The Andromeda team decided to grab the bull by the horns and attack the player's desire for wish fulfillment head on.

That sort of edgy artistic decision has little utility in a medium that is primarily rooted in entertaining people. Obviously, everyone wants to be an artist and challenge peoples' assumptions, but if you're working in the entertainment industry you need to be subtle about it.

• Agree x 7
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Build the Wall! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. taxalotgender: ⚧ I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I was waiting for the new trilogy to be completed to start playing it. I guess I can play it right now.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again cvvgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Yeah unless you're planning to enter hibernation you're safe booting it up now.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. naossanogender: ⚧ Cipher

naossano
    Parrots:
    I am surprised by how they hide those dead boobs.

• Yuge! Yuge! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Nihilistegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Nihiliste
    Parrots:
    In general I agree you can't chalk up all modern commercial failures to SJWism but in the case of Bioware it certainly plays a role.

In recent years, hires at Bioware have been just as much based on diversity as merit, which we know is a complete fail. The company also got away from focusing on you know, thinking about what players might actually find fun in lieu of making sure the right people with the right political message were in positions to make design decisions.

I know a few guys who used to work there and they confirmed the place had descending into SJW hell.

Bioware was also totally ok with going down the romance rabbit hole and replacing fans who actually liked RPGs with insane perverted dating sim fans who also managed to somehow be rabid SJWs. Which ever retard decided to write those minor romances for BG2 didn't realize he was spelling the future death of the company.

• Brofist x 12
    • Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Latrogender: ⚧ Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    it's not SJW

it's women

I blame women for everything, first they refuse to sleep with me, now they ruin my videogames

• Funny x 14
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    I don't think SJW'ism was the main reason for the failure, Infinitron 's theory seems to be more relevant in the grand picture. But SJW'ism helped to increase the "threats" to success and underscored their inability to adapt to the new marketplace.

If you do a SWOT analysis, SJW'ism adds very few opportunities and strengths while increasing threats and and weaknesses.

If you have Manveir spewing anti-white hate on Twitter, sane white programmers probably won't apply in numbers and quality you need. SJW'ism often comes with complacency, while CDP showed incredible ambition when embarking on the TW3 journey. Half-assing a "reboot" doesn't work. A self-confident project lead should have been able to convince the suits, that shipping the game with such animations will cost them.

Their focus on "dating" in the marketing may work on BSN, but the majority probably prefers pew-pew and the whole romancing is something you do on the side. Which dudebro (most ME sales where on the 360) wants to be asked by his mother, if he's playing the game where you can ride the bull have tasteful scenes with abominable aliens?

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    • Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Build the Wall! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again cvvgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    There was nothing wrong with having a romance with Liara or the high testosterone chick in ME1. It was decently done and added another layer to the game.

But they went crazy with it in ME2 - muh relaishunships, muh romances, fuck everything else. Turned a space opera into fucking Beverly Hills. Problem is millions of gamers loved it so they keep upping the ante until we got MEA with multiple gay options, transgenders and bestiality. In a way Bioware themselves were probably the least responsible for the IP going to shit - it was primarily EA greed and a retarded fanbase.

• Disagree x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    BullShit Net?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Azarkongender: ⚧ Arcane

Azarkon
    Parrots:
    People are talking about Bioware as though it's a person. It's not. It's a business company, and I doubt the people who owned it asked the employees whether they wanted to be swallowed up by the destroyer of game studios.

More likely, they were offered a price they couldn't refuse. The doctors made off with tens of millions and washed their hands of the whole industry. They got their dream retirement and are probably now off sailing the world. The rest of the company, not so much.

Bioware didn't choose. The owners did. Business decisions of this level aren't always made with the best interest of the company in mind. The doctors may well have known that Bioware would suffer for it. But why would it matter to them?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Best Deal! Best Deal! x 2
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Aenragender: ⚧ Guest

Aenra
    Amagad! Reaaally? Why, i'd never have thought that... let alone imply just that when i said "Bioware" did and "Bioware" didn't.. sheesh, thanks dude.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Mozggender: ⚧ Arcane

Mozg
    Parrots:
    Anyone else see that advertisement for Dove soap with a 5-alarm middle aged classic histrionic autogynephile? I doubt anyone on Earth imagines that sells soap.

There absolutely is something going on where simple profitability is sometimes willingly sacrificed to serve the elite narrative.

That said they could have pushed whatever contempt-magnets they wanted if the graphics and fetch quests were an incremental improvement on TW3 so it's obviously an ingrown toenail on a rotten leg.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. luj1gender: ⚧ Savant

luj1
    Parrots:
    Both neo-Bioware and neo-Obsidian are shit.

Bioware without Muzyka/Zeschuk is not Bioware.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Wonderdoggender: ⚧ Neckbeard Shitlord's alt

Wonderdog
    Parrots:
    There was non-shit obsidian?

• Edgy Edgy x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. TheSentinelgender: ⚧ Liturgist

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    There's a shit obsidian?

• Agree x 3
    • Edgy x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. naossanogender: ⚧ Cipher

naossano
    Parrots:
    I know that there is a lot of non-Obsidian shits all around.

^ Top  
  17. I'm With Her Mustawdgender: ⚧ for prison Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Though shit obsidian was only Obsidian....?

I'm confused..

^ Top  
  18. Bohraingender: ⚧ Learned

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    Montreal was one the three studios Bioware had, other ones being in Austin and Edmonton. ME:A was Montreal's first major title so they are basically delegated back to doing mobile garbage or something. Had it been the Edmonton studio that was getting downsized tumblrites would've flocked elsewhere, but this just means they'll keep on swarming on the pile of dung that is Dragon Age.
    And I highly doubt their average customer would've complained about the game if it had proper facial animations. The general public can recognize a throwaway plot from something that even remotely tries to not be one, but not much else. If SJW elements would bite their sales it would've made DA:I flop too.

^ Top  
  19. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    The lead animator had no previous experiences with games, much less animations. The project cost millions. Let that sink for a bit.

[​IMG]

But it is though. It is affecting their hiring process and development process. They are puting loons in charge of key aspects to fill the quota. That's madness.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. TheSentinelgender: ⚧ Liturgist

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    How can Obsidian be shit when Pillars of Eternity has been unanimously declared as the saviour of cRPGs and the greatest of the 2012~2015 renaissance?

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Kz3r0gender: ⚧ Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    :slamdunk:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Azrael the catgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Parrots:
    I think I remember saying something a few years back, about how franchise sales are governed by how well received the PREVIOUS game was, and how that would be really obvious if not for (a) Publishers not understanding games, especially the type that garner an emotionally attached fanbase, (b) developers having a tremendous financial and personal interest in not realising the obvious truth (pro-tip - explaining your game's failure to your publisher, by telling them that "actually, it's because our PREVIOUS game also sucked" is not a good survival strategy), and (c) publishers and developers somehow managing to make gaming the only industry that can survive by targeting lemmings, (aka 'people who pre-order', I mean nobody fucking buys their car, or even their next coffee a whole year before they've even laid eyes on it, and if they did and then whined that the barista had dropped his pants and laid a turd in their coffee, everyone would be laughing at them and high-fiving the barista for dealing justice where needed) and gamers keep buying into it. I don't care about idiots getting ripped off (I just wish they still did boxed copies, so that my imaginary turd-happy barista could lay his special pre-order reward in each one), but I do care that it distorts the market and convinces publishers to back the wrong horses, and then retreat to the safety of CoD clones because they've no idea why their product went belly up, I mean it's not like the haters whining about ME3's ending or gradual stripping of rpg mechanics were a significant part of the market, they can't be because ME3 sold fuckloads right? right?

• Brofist x 5
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again cvvgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Yes, games generally sell on the basis of the sequels. But it's more complicated.

The series certainly didn't decline commercially because of plots, endings or stripping of RPG elements. If it were so then ME3 wouldn't sell jackshit since ME2 had a terrible plot, even worse ending and stripped the character development to the bone.

Plus I doubt the ME3 ending fiasco was impactful in any measurable way since it was only the hardcore, emotionally invested manchildren who whined and projected butthurt. And ALL of them bought MEA anyway. Your average console owner didn't even register there's anything wrong with anything since he was distracted by watching football and talking to his roommates about beer while playing.

It was the millions of average consolers, not the tens of thousands of the ME "community", who didn't buy MEA this time around and there's only one reason - they saw all the memes on Youtube and elsewhere. The memesphere and negative publicity destroyed this game, not ME3 sucking.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Athosgender: ⚧ Arcane

Athos
    Parrots:
    But the shittyness of ME3 was also memed to the stars (marauder shield was another "arrow in the knee" basically) and even a distracted dudebro must have stumbled upon the memes in some pseudo-nerd online circle about videogames. This time the dudebro was also repelled by the evident absence of an asskicking protagonist at the center of the marketing campaign. Even the fucking body proportions of the characters scream "made by hipsters for hipsters".

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Westerngender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Western
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I can't agree with you here, I've noticed that once a person catches the mind virus their ability, humour and general competence enters a noticeable decline. In terms of an organisation hiring on the basis of meeting quotas, rather than the best talent will also have a devastating effect over the long term.

Besides there's still plenty of hype for non open world RPGs, the 'one city block' style still has a market, it just needs a competent, and well produced entry.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)