Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Replaying Warcraft III

MilesBeyond

Cipher
I feel like they realized that though and that's why TWT renamed Gyrocopters and Steam Tanks to Flying Machines and Siege Engines hahaha.

Always thought they did that because Games Workshop's legal team came knocking.

Oh! I never even thought of that. That being said, I can't imagine GW has those things trademarked. Especially since Gyrocopters and Steam Tanks have both actually existed in history. Apparently actual steam tanks were mounted with flamethrowers, which is pretty rad. Though I don't think they ever saw action. They were developed at the tail end of WW1 and were... kinda shit.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Seeing how WarCraft has always... fed off of Warhammer, I naturally assumed that dwarven gyrocopters would at the very least cause GW to stir trouble. Maybe they didn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell of actually getting a court ruling, but Blizzard decided to avoid any possibility of that happening at all?

Keep in mind that GW's legal dept. is... rabid to say the least. They attempted to copyright "space marine". Wouldn't put it past them to attack Blizzard.

Last edited:
The time for GW to attack Blizzard with their team of lawyers has long passed by at least 20 years. There's no way they'd be able to out-money Blizzard now, and least of all out-lawyer them (look up Blizzard's scandal with KeSPA).

Keep in mind that legally if you want to hold on to your trademark you need to actively defend it. e.g. if a dozen games rip off Warhammer a little and GW lets it slide, then another game rips off Warhammer a bit more and GW decides that the line has been crossed, the fact that GW refused to take action in previous cases is considered evidence against them and can lead to losing the trademark to the public domain. The courts don't like it when companies cherry-pick who to go after. So its the kind of thing that they would probably ask Blizzard behind the scenes to make some small changes and avoid a pointless court battle.

deama

Prophet
There's a nice lorerunner series made by some autist that explains the lore/universe in great detail, fun stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_esqj8zEM

Damn, the warcraft 3 custom map era was such a golden time, holy-shit was it good. Does anyone happen to know what happened to it? I remember it starting to die off around 2012/2013, or at least it felt like it cause I couldn't find any more new maps (at least good ones) and updates started to fall off.
Anyway, from all the campaigns I played, "the chosen ones" was the best one.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
WoW and professional DOTA updates happened probably.

There's only so long you can work with an older game.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nah, W3 is still pretty alive, new solo campaigns are still being made, game is still updated, and updates are not minor nor technical - Blizzard recently basically lifted (from 8 mbs to like what, 126 mbs?) the size limit of online multiplayer maps, which led to an even greater surge of GSG maps (Lordaeron: the Aftermatch, Lordaeron: the Aftermatch and the Forematch, and so on). Game is alive, very much so, people even play old DotA still (it’s shit, but I think it counts).

Watching Pedorunner is a waste of your fucking time.

deama

Prophet
Nah, W3 is still pretty alive, new solo campaigns are still being made, game is still updated, and updates are not minor nor technical - Blizzard recently basically lifted (from 8 mbs to like what, 126 mbs?) the size limit of online multiplayer maps, which led to an even greater surge of GSG maps (Lordaeron: the Aftermatch, Lordaeron: the Aftermatch and the Forematch, and so on). Game is alive, very much so, people even play old DotA still (it’s shit, but I think it counts).

Watching Pedorunner is a waste of your fucking time.
Hmm, interesting, might go back into it. When was this map size restriction lifted?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In December 2016, it was patch 1.27b.

Custom maps modding scene is right now incredibly varied, you can really play a lot of things. Surely, playerbase is lower than 2-3 years ago, but it’s still going strong. Blizzard is regularly updating the map rooster for the Battlenet, new maps are being made for it, so so-called professional gaming is alive, and as for customs you can really play many different kind of maps. There’s even a 2-player coop campaign remake of official W3 and TFT campaigns, it’s a lot of fun.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
In December 2016, it was patch 1.27b.

Custom maps modding scene is right now incredibly varied, you can really play a lot of things. Surely, playerbase is lower than 2-3 years ago, but it’s still going strong. Blizzard is regularly updating the map rooster for the Battlenet, new maps are being made for it, so so-called professional gaming is alive, and as for customs you can really play many different kind of maps. There’s even a 2-player coop campaign remake of official W3 and TFT campaigns, it’s a lot of fun.
Oh nice, might give that ago with a m8.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just have a gander at the hiveworkshop for all your map needs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom