Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

4X Remnants of the Precursors - MOO1 remake

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by RayF, Mar 31, 2016.

1. RayFgender: ⚧ Pretend Studios Patron Developer

RayF
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    That's very possible. The point of scaling based on galaxy size is to ensure that you haven't researched all of technologies before you meet another race. It scales up by galaxy size and scales down for number of opponents.

^ Top  
  2. Endemicgender: ⚧ Prophet

Endemic
    Parrots:
    There are other ways to mitigate that though, like allowing more than 20 opponents. Making the first fuel tech cost 35000RP is a little silly don't you think? Even at 1000 systems it's too high, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    ^ Top  
  3. RayFgender: ⚧ Pretend Studios Patron Developer

RayF
    Parrots:
    That's a lot silly, in fact. I could also more severely scale the tech cost on tech level. There's certainly some tuning that could happen here.

Just curious, how large of a map are you playing that 20 opponents isn't enough?

^ Top  
  4. Endemicgender: ⚧ Prophet

Endemic
    Parrots:
    I was testing the larger galaxy sizes to see if my PC could handle them. 471k has a bit of slowdown, but 100k is flawless.

20 players is fine for 1k, but anything above that gets rather empty.

^ Top  
  5. RayFgender: ⚧ Pretend Studios Patron Developer

RayF
    Parrots:
    The really large maps are mainly there for testing memory and for people who want that "alone in the vast universe" experience.

You can't easily populate a huge galaxy with empires because empires are complicated. They build ships, make decisions, wage wars, research technology, etc. They don't scale very well at all unless you gimp them. The Next Turn processing for something like 10,000 AI empires would take hours and probably melt down your CPU.

That maximum galaxy size (471K on your PC) is calculated from your PC's total memory. I would totally expect it to slowdown after a while. That's good feedback and I can tune the algorithm to be a lower number.

^ Top  
  6. Endemicgender: ⚧ Prophet

Endemic
    Parrots:
    You could always have a "bring a supercomputer for this setting" warning ;) I don't have the greatest PC in the world, just a Phenom II with 8GB of RAM.

Tried the latest version, appreciate the changes to fleet splitting :) Keep up the good work, I look forward to the beta phase.

^ Top  
  7. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Joined on the 4th of July
    Parrots:
    Oh yeah, I got almost a million star galaxy! Very nice! Slow, but maybe even playable. I didn't try that more than a few turns and went for a much smaller galaxy.

There's some issues with font scaling. Version 4.08.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Endemicgender: ⚧ Prophet

Endemic
    Parrots:
    Ray uploaded 4.09b last night, have you tried that version?

^ Top  
  9. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Parrots:
    Nope, but 4.09b's notes don't seem to mention anything about this, so I thought I'd report it.

^ Top  
  10. Endemicgender: ⚧ Prophet

Endemic
    Parrots:
    What resolution are you running?

^ Top  
  11. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Parrots:
    1920x1080

It's fine if there's less options.

^ Top  
  12. Endemicgender: ⚧ Prophet

Endemic
    Parrots:
    Interesting...I'm at 1920x1200.

What happens if you change res? The game's set to run windowed so it will automatically adjust to be slightly smaller than your desktop.

^ Top  
  13. RayFgender: ⚧ Pretend Studios Patron Developer

RayF
    Parrots:
    omg that is funny and definitely a bug. Let me look at it tonight.

^ Top  
  14. Endemicgender: ⚧ Prophet

Endemic
    Parrots:
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. RayFgender: ⚧ Pretend Studios Patron Developer

RayF
    Parrots:
    Alpha 4.12 is out. https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/13/alpha-4-12-is-ready/

Just so you guys know, as a software developer I am a huge believer in rapid turnaround for fixes. That's why you see smaller patches every night instead of huge patches every few weeks. This allow testers to get fixes in their hands asap and keep playing. No one likes to invest hours in a game only to get stuck on a bug and then have to wait forever for a fix to finish it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Endemicgender: ⚧ Prophet

Endemic
    Parrots:
    I get the impression that the range circles aren't intended to be moving around with the mouse cursor. Probably a bug?

^ Top  
  17. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Parrots:
    Yeah, range circles are certainly broken.

About AI... not sure if this has been addressed somewhere, but why are my neighbours constantly bombing my colonies when we aren't even at war? Don't remember it being like this in the original.

^ Top  
  18. RayFgender: ⚧ Pretend Studios Patron Developer

RayF
    Parrots:
    Yeah, that slipped into 4.12. There's a 4.12b now specifically to fix that. Sorry! Shit happens.

^ Top  
  19. RayFgender: ⚧ Pretend Studios Patron Developer

RayF
    Parrots:
    Oh, it was definitely in the original. I will agree that it's a little confusing, but people seem to like it.

Declarations of war are really just pieces of paper in this game. If you want security, sign a non-aggression pact.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Parrots:
    I guess it was easier to ignore when it was just occasional bombing. Now the AI seems to be much more aggressive. Now they're also sabotaging my factories right after going "Peace be with you, friends!" in the diplo-screen. :shittydog:

Alright, no complaints about that then.

But overlay is still broken during the colony pop-ups at the beginning of turn:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  21. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Parrots:
    About name lists for stars by the way... could you combine them? Getting lots of duplicates on bigger maps and it's a bit silly when there's just one naming theme for every star in the galaxy (excluding homeworlds)

^ Top  
  22. RayFgender: ⚧ Pretend Studios Patron Developer

RayF
    Parrots:
    The original game had a list of about 105 names for the maximum size galaxy. Remnants has lists of 120+ names, unique for each race. However, if you are playing with duplicate races (because you selected more than 7 opponents) then those duplicated races will use the same lists.

I'll see if I can maybe offset their system name selections so that they immediately start at the same spot in their list. That should help a lot

^ Top  
  23. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Parrots:
    The way it seems to be working at the moment is that only the player's name list is used. Ie. I'm Psilons and every star is some scientist even though there are five other races in the game as well.

^ Top  
  24. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Parrots:
    lmao. first I complain about aggressive enemies, then I win diplo-victory without a single war.

:neveraskedforthis:

^ Top  
  25. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Parrots:
    Inconsistency in visuals between Orion and Remnants:
    In Orion when you trade a tech from someone it's that other race's scientist who presents the tech, in Remnants it's your own scientist.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)