Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remnants of the Precursors - Merry Christmas, bitches

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Here are some recent images added.. The voting screens for the Bulrathi and the Meklar. Reminder for MOO1 fans: the alpha starts on June 1st.

bulrathi_council_10.jpg

meklar_council_23.jpg

kyrub

Augur
I salute your efforts, Ray. Who is responsible for AI programming?

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
There's no sign-up. It starts on June 1st and lasts through the month. You can follow the blog at http://www.RemnantsOfThePrecursors.com or twitter at @PretendStudios to keep tabs on the project. I've set up a subreddit at reddit.com/r/rotp to handle questions/concerns about the alpha.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Just FYI for anyone interested. The alpha is going on now and a lot of useful feedback is feeding into the game. 6/30 is the last day the alpha will function so if you want to check it out don't wait until the last minute!

Naraya

Arcane
God damn it RayF. After finishing my first playthrough of RotP, I felt the itch and installed MoO yesterday. The interface feels so god damn clunky I'm unable to enjoy it anymore.

I'm loving RotP :D

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
God damn it RayF. After finishing my first playthrough of RotP, I felt the itch and installed MoO yesterday. The interface feels so god damn clunky I'm unable to enjoy it anymore.

I'm loving RotP :D

I am in the exact same boat! I'm trying to get through the Alpha action items as quickly as possible so that I can resume dev work.

Because, right now, I can't scratch my MOO itch anymore for the same reasons. Hopefully ROTP will be at that point in the next alpha (with tactical ship combat).

Naraya

Arcane
Keep up the good work man, I love the new art assets and can't wait to see those in game! :D

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
The main plan for the next alpha, art-wise, is to have the Sakkra and Darloks completed, along with all of the GNN screens. Word-wise, all of the intros and dialogue should be written for the 7 races in the game. Code-wise, I'm going to have the Intro UI, the Rankings UI and more diplomatic options added along with other general improvements.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Some sample artwork completed since the last alpha ended:

Here's a mockup of the introduction screen I'm wrapping up this weekend:
alkari_intro.jpg

Here's an example of the Sakkra soldier:
sakkrasoldier.jpg

Here's a GIF of the Silicoid ship landing animation:
silicoids_transport_ship_1229x768_02.gif

Forkrul

Novice
I never tried Moo1, but i love Moo2. What's better in Moo1? When you said colony improvements do you mean buildings or terraforming?

Naraya

Arcane
MoO 1 is, in my opinion, vastly superior to MoO 2. It has no colony-improvement nonsense, it's a strategy game on a greater scale. You should try it :)

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
I never tried Moo1, but i love Moo2. What's better in Moo1? When you said colony improvements do you mean buildings or terraforming?

Colony buildings are not in MOO1. Terraforming is.

It's a little bit of a mixed bag when comparing MOO1 and MOO2. From a game design standpoint, MOO1 is hands down a much better game than MOO2 and arguably one of the best-designed 4X games ever made.

However, MOO2 is 3 years newer and had a bigger budget (thanks to the success of MOO1) and there were considerable graphical improvements from 1993 to 1996. In addition, there WERE some additional features added that were well-done and did not break the game design -- most notably heroes and the Antarans.

However, MOO2 added colony improvements and individualized ship combat, both of which severely broke much better systems in MOO1. Like I said, it's a mixed bag.

MOO2 is an insufferable mess for MOO1 players, and MOO1 is clunky and ugly for MOO2 players.

To me, an ideal game would be a graphically updated version of MOO1 with heroes and Antarans from MOO2, plus the 3 additional races.

No major game developer has ever chosen to make this game, so basically I got tired of waiting and decided to do it myself.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Some sample artwork completed since the last alpha ended:

Here's a mockup of the introduction screen I'm wrapping up this weekend:
alkari_intro.jpg

So the Alkari are spilling into space because they're... cucked?

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Will the space battle map be bigger than in original MoO1?

Probably not. You have to be very careful when rebooting something that is already balanced so well. Sometimes innocuous changes that seem like improvements have unforeseen negative consquences. The standard rule of thumb for the first release is "if it ain't broke (in MOO1), then don't fix it".

I'm not a game designer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, so I'm not going to pretend to be one and try to sprinkle my "great ideas" around in the first pass of the code.

That said, there ARE things in MOO1 that are technically broke and are being fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom