Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Remember Me

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Remember that there are both "sex-positive" and "sex-negative" camps within modern feminism, and also that feminists can and will twist absolutely anything in the entire world until it's an illustration of how middle-class Western white women horribly oppressed.

An attractive female lead might be praised by some feminists, but others will start whingeing that she's too curvy and therefore a sex object for teenagers to ogle (because male sexuality is shameful and wrong), or that she's too thin and that this sends a message to female ham planets that being obese is unattractive (derp), or that she's too attractive and represents unrealistic standards of beauty, or that she's a straight Caucasian rather than being a butch black lesbian....

You can't win, really. Studies have shown however that female-only leads reduce sales numbers, which likely has less to do with misogyny and more to do with 1.) reality, in which the vast majority of women avoid physically difficult or dangerous pursuits; and 2.) the sexual negativity and shame that feminism has instilled in young boys for the last couple of decades.

Borelli

Arcane
The memory mixing looks very cool and cyberpunkish but in the game it's all either cinematics or PRESS THIS BUTTON OVER HERE gameplay. They should have made a movie out of this. The minimap at the bottom right looks not completely linear but still too linear for my taste seeing as this is some kind of a stealth game and one that is set in a metropolis of all things.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Watched a preview the other day on youtube, name of the guy escapes me right now, he was pretty critical of the game, especially the combat, the character movement and world traversal.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yep, hardly sexualized at all...
She's not completely white, toned, and has a somewhat-masculine face without much makeup; I approve. I don't understand the toe shoes though and that picture's missing the lip scar.

Studies have shown however that female-only leads reduce sales numbers,
"Studies"
David Gaider said:
Is conventional industry wisdom correct?
Let’s take a look at female protagonists. Conventional industry wisdom is that games with female protagonists aren’t marketable– but did these games all fail to sell? And, if they did, was it solely because they had female protagonists? And such a small number of titles constitutes a pattern?
Are we then to accept the opposite: that a game which has a male protagonist and sells well does so solely due to that? What about the ones with male protagonists that don’t sell well– are those for other reasons?
Conventional industry wisdom is funny that way. We come up with these reasons as to why games succeed and fail, which genres are dead and what the limits are, and everyone swears up and down that’s how it is… until someone else comes along and proves them wrong in a way they can’t ignore.

So conventional industry wisdom is us trying to come up with explanations that mostly reinforce our own assumptions– and in there we find privilege.
People get defensive when you bring up privilege, because they think you’re calling them racist or sexist or homophobic. That’s not what privilege is about. Privilege is about not seeing something as a problem because it’s not a problem for you. If you’re a group that’s catered to, you believe that’s the way it should be… that’s the way it’s always been, why would it be a problem for anyone?
Indulge me for a moment: imagine that, since games were first made, all major characters were black. Every hero, everyone who does something virtuous, they’re all black. Good white characters are few and far between, mostly minor or “the white guy on the team.” And a white female character? Almost unheard of. For years and years, that’s how it’s always been.
Ludicrous? Of course it is. How could a white person imagine the context where such a thing would be possible? We live in a society where our world view supported almost exclusively, where imagining it otherwise is bizarre. And if your response is instead “that would be great”, I’m pretty certain that if you ask anyone actually in that position they’d say it’s not great. Privilege doesn’t need to be a bad thing, so long as you recognize it and understand how it informs your decisions.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Yep, hardly sexualized at all...
She's not completely white, toned, and has a somewhat-masculine face without much makeup; I approve. I don't understand the toe shoes though and that picture's missing the lip scar.

Studies have shown however that female-only leads reduce sales numbers,
"Studies"
David Gaider said:
Is conventional industry wisdom correct?
Let’s take a look at female protagonists. Conventional industry wisdom is that games with female protagonists aren’t marketable– but did these games all fail to sell? And, if they did, was it solely because they had female protagonists? And such a small number of titles constitutes a pattern?
Are we then to accept the opposite: that a game which has a male protagonist and sells well does so solely due to that? What about the ones with male protagonists that don’t sell well– are those for other reasons?
Conventional industry wisdom is funny that way. We come up with these reasons as to why games succeed and fail, which genres are dead and what the limits are, and everyone swears up and down that’s how it is… until someone else comes along and proves them wrong in a way they can’t ignore.

So conventional industry wisdom is us trying to come up with explanations that mostly reinforce our own assumptions– and in there we find privilege.
People get defensive when you bring up privilege, because they think you’re calling them racist or sexist or homophobic. That’s not what privilege is about. Privilege is about not seeing something as a problem because it’s not a problem for you. If you’re a group that’s catered to, you believe that’s the way it should be… that’s the way it’s always been, why would it be a problem for anyone?
Indulge me for a moment: imagine that, since games were first made, all major characters were black. Every hero, everyone who does something virtuous, they’re all black. Good white characters are few and far between, mostly minor or “the white guy on the team.” And a white female character? Almost unheard of. For years and years, that’s how it’s always been.
Ludicrous? Of course it is. How could a white person imagine the context where such a thing would be possible? We live in a society where our world view supported almost exclusively, where imagining it otherwise is bizarre. And if your response is instead “that would be great”, I’m pretty certain that if you ask anyone actually in that position they’d say it’s not great. Privilege doesn’t need to be a bad thing, so long as you recognize it and understand how it informs your decisions.
So where is that female only game that sells COD copies?

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
^ oh ffs sake Blaine, how many topics are you going to infest with your attack on a small group of retarded people? You're fast becoming like HHR or the other single-issue codexers, spamming your personal crusade in every thread regardless of the topic.

another troll, another Codexer jumpin' at it
You wish. Wish one of these fuckers is the troll? Sincerely i dont know...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
tomb_raider_sales_chart.jpg

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
tomb_raider_sales_chart.jpg
7 million copies are hardly COD grade copies me thinks(its actually half the sales of a random COD). There is also the fact that recent games are selling even less. Dunno bro/sis, there is also the evidence that girls are more into facebooks/the sims than some random action game involving females. I bet the majority of the sales in Tomb Raider is from misogynerds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
7 million copies are hardly COD grade copies me thinks(its actually half the sales of a random COD). There is also the fact that recent games are selling even less. Dunno bro/sis, there is also the evidence that girls are more into facebooks/the sims than some random action game involving females. I bet the majority of the sales in Tomb Raider is from misogynerds.
Back to Gaider's first paragraph. :M

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Back to Gaider's first paragraph. :M
Ok, so lets wait till a action game with female only brotag achieves 15 million sales... Until that day, i keep my realtalk opinions :)

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Is this less or more important than the fact that this game looks like shit
The one affects the other. A game where your gender role is of some importance to the designers is always going to be shit. Whilst it's easy to ignore a guy in an armour suit, and is the go-to solution for a genderless game, a female character almost always is either objectified (third person games in general with female leads) or the gender of the character plays some significant role to the story arc. Neither does any good at all.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why people lose so much time with gender bullshit? How about, start making games where the protagonists aren't retarded and the story makes sense for a start? Video game female characters are heavily "sexualized" because, take away the sexuality and they are empty shells as their male counterparts when you take away their fake macho bravado, both are tactics used to hide lazy writing and to easily create motivation and characterization for writers that don't have a clue to what they are doing. David Gayder talking about privilege and female protagonists , the king of the "subservient 12 years old waifus since BG 2"... Oh, the irony, if he can't make secondary female characters with brains in his games, imagine his ideas for a female protagonist . People are talking about sexism as if there is alot of great writing on gaming industry nowdays focused only on men, when in reality most games stories are crap nowdays and guess what: Crap is highly "sexualized".

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey guys, what is this thread about? /Jaesun

Seriously, Blaine, stop going all hoopy on us and don't drag this stupid bullshit into every thread that even remotely touches on the subject. You are like a reverse Roguey and it's getting old fast, as it has with the original.

buzz

Arcane
The mind screwing gimmicks is like Ghost Trick.
Anyway, the only thing I dislike about this one is that it's just another fucking cyberpunk game. I'm so goddamn tired of seeing glitches, robots, computery shit and so on.
Why can't this game be about a gypsy witch/assassin (like the fortune teller gypsy in Ultima) who does various shenanigans with her powers in Paris during the late Middle Age/earlyRenaissance? That would improve this game 10 times and it would still stick to its common gameplay elements, and it would also be closer to the AC clone that it wants to be.

buzz

Arcane
Yeah, but Remember Me seems to be as well about changing the outcome of a scene by modifying various variables within it. Only that it's inside someone's memories rather than time manipulation. I haven't played GT in a while so maybe I'm wrong

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
^ oh ffs sake Blaine, how many topics are you going to infest with your attack on a small group of retarded people?

It only stands out to you because anti-feminism is a sore point for you. Fewer than 1% of my posts even mention feminism.

Also, you're not the first feminist to place all the ills of feminism at the feet of "one small group of retarded people." The no true feminist argumentation is de rigeur these days.

Finally, it's not an attack on a group of people—it's an attack on a poisonous and hateful ideology. I'm sure you realize that my attitude towards you is cordial despite having learned that you're a male feminist.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
^ oh ffs sake Blaine, how many topics are you going to infest with your attack on a small group of retarded people?

It only stands out to you because anti-feminism is a sore point for you. Fewer than 1% of my posts even mention feminism.

Also, you're not the first feminist to place all the ills of feminism at the feet of "one small group of retarded people." The no true feminist argumentation is de rigeur these days.

Finally, it's not an attack on a group of people—it's an attack on a poisonous and hateful ideology. I'm sure you realize that my attitude towards you is cordial despite having learned that you're a male feminist.
Bro, he is worse than a feminist, he is a social scientist. Just look at social scientist doing their works in Denmark:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Blaine, come on man, look at the evidence. It's clear from my interactions with you and Roguey that even though I share more ideology with Roguey I clearly have expressed more disdain for Roguey's way of arguing than yours. If this was really about me disagreeing with your opinion, don't you think it's odd I've criticized Roguey more than you?

No, this is about you, as evdk completely correctly finds, becoming the anti-feminist version of Roguey to an increasing degree. You bring up feminism in more and more threads that have nothing to with it and when you do, it's less and less to argue some relevant point and more and more to call some random gal you hate a retard.

he is worse than a feminist, he is a social scientist.

I study economics, political administration and The European Union. I wouldn't call me a social scientist, but I am an academic in the field of social sciences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom