Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Released: Grim Fandango remake... for PS4, Vita and PC.

Cazzeris

A guy from another forum made this recretion of some of the game's first areas using Unreal Engine 4:

16279022925_84cbc733cd_h.jpg

16091470768_ca1a6fd31a_h.jpg

16092880599_e2d555cd7d_h.jpg

16092881179_3e883cf036_h.jpg

16253075216_b83a75f94b_h.jpg

16093147687_d8d56c9016_h.jpg

Definitely more elaborated than Double Fine's "Remaster".

Athelas

Arcane
A guy from another forum made this recretion of some of the game's first areas using Unreal Engine 4:

It is, but it also demonstrates you should be careful what you wish for.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm honestly impressed that the Steam version comes with the amazing Brazilian dub done in the 90's... the company who did those is long dead, Tim Schafer must have had a very draconian contract to be able to re-release it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm honestly impressed that the Steam version comes with the amazing Brazilian dub done in the 90's... the company who did those is long dead, Tim Schafer must have had a very draconian contract to be able to re-release it.
See? SEE? You have to repent and offer yourself to THE SCHAFER! :D

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

Aaaand this would be a remaster. This "new" Grim is a fucking joke. Just like I said in the Fahrenheit thread, this is just a fucking patch to update the game to modern PCs. Nothing more.

Athelas

Arcane
Uh...why are people praising that UE4 showcase? When I think noir-styled adventure game, I don't exactly picture blindingly bloom-filled environments.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
One of the notorious bugs in the original game was the orange guy (sue me for not remembering!) guy mouth being terribly animated due to the 'lipsync' being processor dependent or something.

I only played Grim Fandango once sometime in late 2002 during my chemotherapy. I don't really remember a lot of fine details from that time, but even I remembered that the big orange guy's name was Glottis.

So consider yourself served!

As for this "Remasterd" edition - On one hand, it works on modern computers and has a point 'n' click interface. On the other hand, pretty much everything else.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Yeah, remember when games released patches for free. It's always kind of sad when you look at the amount of hard work put into optimizing emulators, freeware, hell even cracks for games. These dedicated people update their shit endlessly, make sure that everything works across god knows how many OS and they do it all for free. Then there are shitty "young adults" with connections and management degrees taking over industries like games, completely uncaring in any way about anything except making profit AND crucially, being able to keep said profit whilst doing minimum amount of work.

Cazzeris

Uh...why are people praising that UE4 showcase? When I think noir-styled adventure game, I don't exactly picture blindingly bloom-filled environments.

Well, I've read that the guy who made it spent twelve days learning stuff about the 40's architecture and art styles and modelling Manny, and it took him a month to remake the scenario.

Sure, the result may not be the tastefully artistic work Grim Fandango deserves, but at least it demonstrates enough effort to charge $15 from it. The guy who made it is unemployed at this moment and I hate how Double Fine survives delivering these shameless cashgrabs and ignoring the fans' complaints on twitter while most indie devs have problems to get jobs even though they show enthusiasm and effort instead of empty promises.

Last edited by a moderator:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It doesn't matter that it looks worse, at least it's different!

Wulfstand

Prophet
The changes that have been made are quite few and require more patchwork, definitely. For example, the new models occasionally glitch, like Olivia's in year 2. If you actually use the added in interface for the inventory too often instead of the classical keyboard shortcuts, the game's interface freezes to the point where you can't move/interact with anything and no button does anything, leaving you only with pressing alt+f4. This last bit has happened to me quite often, and it's most frustrating when combined with me forgetting to save.
However, with a bit perseverance the game's playable (I've almost finished a full playthrough), and it's still gripping as hell. (it's now actually my favorite adventure game, I don't think that any other lucasarts game except for maybe MI3 and DotT have such a great combination of a great setting with fantastic characters, sets, voiceacting, humor and music)

m_s0

Arcane
They re-recorded the music, the graphical alterations go beyond improving the visual quality via going back to the original assets... So not a remaster, and it isn't a preservation. Not much of an HD version, either, come to think of it.

The new music is great, though, and I appreciate the concept art and the commentary. So, mixed bag as far as the quality is concerned, but the bonuses might make it worthwile if you're crazy about the game to begin with.
I don't get terribly happy when my favourite classic games gets re-remastered releases sometimes:

23tmih1.jpg
Agreed about the 4:3 complaint. Thankfully Double Fine thought of everything so you can play this film noir homage in glorous widescreen.

:retarded:

edit: read the actual review and at least the guy acknowledges that stretching 4:3 to 16:9 is not a good idea. Still, he does bitch about those pesky black bars so it's not much of a consolation.

pippin

Tim should have known better and just release this on GoG.
Anyway, I couldn't help but grin when, 2 hours after the official release, some gaming channels were already uploading videos to solve the tree pump puzzle in the petrified forest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom