Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Released: Grim Fandango remake... for PS4, Vita and PC.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't use exactly the same meshes and animations ?!
This would be awesomely lazy.

I'm pretty sure that's what they did. No other reason to leave the legs and arms as separate elements.
I would have expected they'd re-render the backgrounds, but fuck, at least they didn't apply some shitty effects on them to make the look "next-gen" or whatever.

Deleted member 7219

I'm not Double Fine's biggest fan but I do want this game. I guess I'll wait for it to get really cheap in a sale so I don't have to give them too much money.

Athelas

Arcane
Good to see the discussion has shifted from complaining that Double Fine would ruin the game by changing too much (pre-release) to complaining that Double Fine didn't change anything and has kept the original experience perfectly intact now that the game has been released. :M

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This is a not a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they had released the original exactly as it was, just updated to run on modern computers, and with a GOG-like release price, we would have been all over it. This is just a blatant cash grab. As much as i hated the Monkey Island special editions, at least they did put some effort there.

Athelas

Arcane
This is a not a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they had released the original exactly as it was, just updated to run on modern computers, and with a GOG-like release price, we would have been all over it. This is just a blatant cash grab. As much as i hated the Monkey Island special editions, at least they did put some effort there.
You can apparently turn off the graphics gimmicks and it costs less than 12 bucks (plenty of games on GOG cost more). So it is essentially what you describe.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You can apparently turn off the graphics gimmicks and it costs less than 12 bucks. So it is essentially what you describe.

It's 14.99€ on Steam.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What Athelas said. look at the options screens I posed above. You can turn off anything you don't like. Also the point and click change seems more significant and actually good compared to Monkey Island where they replace great looking art with average looking art.

Athelas

Arcane
You can apparently turn off the graphics gimmicks and it costs less than 12 bucks. So it is essentially what you describe.

It's 14.99€ on Steam.
I'm talking about the GOG price.

Athelas

Arcane
Not in principle, no. We can be grateful that Tim Schafer is not George Lucas, but this release has no business being called a "remastered" edition.
It has been remastered (controls and graphics have been changed), but the changes can be disabled. It's the best of both worlds.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I disagree. The benefits you cite are only indirectly related to the quality of the work they have done on this release, which from what i see is pretty damn shoddy. In principle, this is a bad enhanced edition. We can be grateful that it offers the possibility to play the game as it was, but Double Fine still gets no credit for their "remastering".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
but Double Fine still gets no credit for their "remastering".

Why? They didn't Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V'd the fanmade mod, they did their own (although) similar remastering. They remastered the music as well, which the fanmade mod didn't. The new control schemes are also better than the fanmade mods. So the "DF didn't do anything in this version" is pure bullshit.

Come on, they re-released the game on a good price (GOG version) which is great in itself. They remastered bits are also nice, and if someone doesn't like it, they can switch it off. There is nothing wrong with the release.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not in principle, no. We can be grateful that Tim Schafer is not George Lucas, but this release has no business being called a "remastered" edition.
I think remastered is the perfect description. When music is remastered they don't re-record it. They just mess with the levels on each track a bit. That's essentially what this is.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Mmmh, alright. I'll see if i can hold by disgust for Double Fine long enough to consider this. But i ain't paying full price.

tuluse

Arcane
Mmmh, alright. I'll see if i can hold by disgust for Double Fine long enough to consider this. But i ain't paying full price.
If you had a perfectly good record, I wouldn't suggest buying a remastered CD either unless you were a huge fan.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Isn't this the first chance consumers have to buy this game in over a decade, apart from second-hand? And isn't it supposed to be really good? That should mean it's worth the asking price of $14.99, regardless of what they changed (unless they fucked it up, which they didn't).

tuluse

Arcane
Isn't this the first chance consumers have to buy this game in over a decade, apart from second-hand? And isn't it supposed to be really good? That should mean it's worth the asking price of $14.99, regardless of what they changed (unless they fucked it up, which they didn't).
Not if you own the game already, which is my point.

If you don't and you haven't played it and you like adventure games, then yes this is definitely worth $15.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Some of those classic games would be worth paying full price even now, so that's not really much of a question. This discussion is a bit academic anyway, since we don't really have much of a choice but accept what is being offered to us.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Not if you own the game already, which is my point.

If you don't and you haven't played it and you like adventure games, then yes this is definitely worth $15.
Are they claiming you should buy it again if you already own it? I tried playing it before, but could never get it to work.

cw8

Cipher
I don't get terribly happy when my favourite classic games gets re-remastered releases sometimes:

23tmih1.jpg

throwaway

Cipher
I won't compain if the exposure means that there will be more people who hold Manny on a higher regard than the infantile dross we get served as video game characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom