Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rejoice: There Will Be More Mass Effect After Trilogy Ends

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Bioware Co-founder Greg Zeschuk reveales BIO-Plans for the ME-Universe.

"We're actually going to continue to use it for stuff and we're going to continue to make games there," Zeschuk said. "Believe me, we have our work cut out for us for the next little while getting Mass Effect 3 done after this. Don't worry if you love Mass Effect, there will be more Mass Effect in the future."
For a moment I thought they wouldn't continue to use it for stuff... ahhh relief

As for what will happen in Mass Effect 3, Zeschuk didn't elaborate, only saying that the third game in the series is currently in the planning stages and that it will feature the same persistent game save system featured in Mass Effect 2.
Which means there will be a tremendous amount of persistent C&C that will let the Codex C&C crowd be sozzing all over their pants (thx Sillelak).

As for the soon to be released Mass Effect 2, "it's definitely bigger than [the first Mass Effect], probably about one and a half times [the length], maybe a little more" Zeschuk said. In addition to being Emotionally Engaging, "There's a lot more you can do, a lot more you should do."
Emotionally Engaging - are you ready to make decisions? Are you ready to make choices? Are you ready to face the consequences?

sheek

Arbiter
What does the title "Mass Effect" come from anyway? Does it refer to something in the world lore, or plot device in the 1st game?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Maybe it comes from the medical term. WHO KNOWS??? THE MISTARYS OF BAYOWER!!!!

Joghurt

Augur
I always thought that Mass Effect had something to do with those biotic powers and shit. Like the Force in Star Wars. Maybe I'm wrong because I am just guessing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mass Effect is crappily described by "when you make a hyperspace jump from gate to gate it's called a mass effect" in the game, but does it sound cool eh

Joghurt

Augur
found it

Inside the game universe, mass effect is a newly discovered (for humans anyway) physics phenomenon that has properties along the lines of other physics forces such as gravity and electromagnetism. It’s what physicists in real life are currently calling "dark energy", as an explanation for the accelerating expansion of the universe — which has only recently been discovered and flies in the face of the previous notion that the universe’s expansion should be slowing down because of gravity.

random_encounter

Educated
Here's the wiki'ed version (found here):

A partial explanation:

Mass effect fields are created through the use of element zero. Element zero can increase or decrease the mass content of space-time when subjected to an electrical current via dark energy. With a positive current, mass is increased. With a negative current, mass is decreased. The stronger the current, the greater the magnitude of the dark energy mass effect.

In regards to biotics:

Many biotics can also use mass effect fields which are biologically generated and controlled. This requires intensive training, and cybernetic implants, but can produce impressive offensive or defensive effects. Some biotics' talents are not strong enough to be offensively viable, but all biotics are sensitive to the presence of mass effect fields.

Could also be serving double duty as a reference to their whole "carrying over decisions" thing with save imports, thus having a "mass effect" on future storylines.

Silellak

Cipher
random_encounter said:
Could also be serving double duty as a reference to their whole "carrying over decisions" thing with save imports, thus having a "mass effect" on future storylines.
Yeah, pretty sure I heard them mention this specific definition before, as well.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Cool.

P.S. LOLZ @ the continued proven idocy of of metalcraze. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I dont see how anyone could spend 80% of there time fighting in ME, PST, or FO unless you are a grind freak.

This is great news. I love Mass Effect, but I cried whenever I remembered we would only be getting 2 more of them. :roll:

Kaanyrvhok said:
I dont see how anyone could spend 80% of there time fighting in ME, PST, or FO unless you are a grind freak.

Its certainly possible in ME on harder difficulty levels. The other major time sink, of course, is running back and forth around the stupidly large and annoying maps inbetween killing things.

TripJack

Hedonist
random_encounter said:
Mass effect fields are created through the use of element zero. Element zero can increase or decrease the mass content of space-time when subjected to an electrical current via dark energy. With a positive current, mass is increased. With a negative current, mass is decreased. The stronger the current, the greater the magnitude of the dark energy mass effect.

That might be the stupidest made-up science-fiction concept I have ever read in my life. Is all that information actually pulled from the game? Or maybe some companion book (I'm sure they made at least one)? Either way. Jesus Christ. I'm certain a 5-year old with a halfway-decent imagination could come up with something better.

Element zero? Praise Allah that is straight retarded. And what exactly is a negative current...

I can't believe people think this shit is good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"That might be the stupidest made-up science-fiction concept I have ever read in my life."

Stop the lies, start the truth.

'Nough with the bullshitz, k?

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
This isn't a big surprise. I don't think that Bioware would have invested so much to in game lore otherwise.

Probably bioware is trying to start at least two big game franchises; Mass effect and dragon age.
It's anyones guess if the idea comes from EA's marketing department.

Difera

Educated
So we can look foward to not see the end of ME's story by the third game... it'll probably end up like Half-Life's story...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom