Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs, tactical JRPG for PC from... Polan?

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by bonescraper, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Hey I actually like Grandpa at least until now. Though he seems like the "tutorial guy" to be honest

^ Top  
  2. Durwyngender: ⚧ Prophet

Durwyn
    Parrots:
    I very much like the game so far (about 2h in). That's already more than I can say about T:ToN, Wasteland 2 and PoE. Seems to have... I don't know... soul? It feels like people actually had fun creating it and honestly wanted players to have fun as well. Not the prettiest and most clever girl in the school but still the most charming one. Characters are likeable in quirky jrpg-done-right way, character mechanics and town bulding seems not too deep but servicable nonetheless and combat can be challenging at times. Hopefully it will stay this way till the end

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mark Richardgender: ⚧ Savant

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    Turns out it's a scheduling game. Every couple of months a debt collector shows up, and if he's not happy with your progress, it's presumably game over.

Thankfully that's where similarities to Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale end. Regalia seems more easy-going (at least initially, I'm only a few hours in) with a story populated by archetypes as charming as they are exaggerated. Speaking as a guy who loved Kelgar & Neeshka from NWN2, I'm smitten.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Grifgender: ⚧ Educated

Grif
    Parrots:
    Bought this on impulse. So far, really charmed by the atmosphere. There was love put into this game and it shows.

Been awhile since I found myself smiling while reading silly banter between characters. Light hearted games are just so rare these days.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Exactly what Grif said. It's a game where I actually have some fun in a light hearted atmosphere. Plus the combat is decent and if you try to get all side-objectives can be actually pretty damn challenging.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    I commend them for being lighthearted and often silly, but always, at least in my perception, just stopping shy from being annoyingly so.

One less atmospheric thing are the incremental +5% items, I hate that, but at least, that's not the only progression they have in the game.

And the UI is at times more complicated than it had to be, often requiring a few clicks too many for a simple goal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Maxiegender: ⚧ Erudite

Maxie
    Parrots:
    but who's the best girl?

^ Top  
  8. The Red Knightgender: ⚧ Novice

The Red Knight
    Parrots:
    That L key would be sooo much more practical if it were to highlight all untargettable grids with some colour, relative to the grid we'd point at with the cursor. Or highlight targettable ones instead. Maybe additionally highlight enemies too.

Pressing wait for 2 characters next to each other in the initative queue cycles between them (so I can't make both of them wait till slower enemies move).

There's a bug with the dog & the well event where negative results of it persist after you load the game and will be added to any other results you get from repeating it. Restarting the game fixes it (but doesn't help with the friendship camp event skipping).

Got first diplomatic letters at the beginning of chapter 2. Might be either because of it being the next chapter or because I encountered the two nations that sent me letters during dungeon clearing run I did at the end of chapter 1. There are two choices for each, one to boost relationship with nation A, one with the opposing nation B (there are two pairs of warring factions). Each letter increases friendship level by 1. Replying doesn't consume time. I wonder if there'll be some more complex diplomatic event(s) further down the line, or that high reputation will affect some dungeons (with neutral reputations you have both friendly CYOA events with people from these factions and combat nodes where you fight against them).
    Handwriting font for the letter content + normal one for delivery/after-reading/etc. comments. The text is crossing past the left letter border, making first words in some lines harder to read (no idea if it occurs in all languages or only applies to the PL version).

After taking a closer look at the diplomacy screen, friendship rewards for all nations are:
    lvl1 = two perks (mage accuracy and damage vs knight armour regen/turn, elven dodge and initiative vs imperial resistances), lvl2 = nation-specific accessories), lvl3 = character unlock , all levels bonus = national unit summon (consumable item?); level 4 seems to be required to complete two kingdom quests

Forging = picking a recipe from the list and paying for it with a few resources and a bit of money; no time consumed. For weapons it's around 3 types per character per quality tier, with one of them slightly weaker/cheaper. There are 3 quality tiers unlockable through friendship with forging characters. By the time I unlocked the blacksmith the lowest weapon tier became obsolete through after-battle loot and a round of fishing, but the second tier was worth it.

I take back what I said about obstacles - encountered some impassable fallen trees on the swamp that weren't blocking line of sight (that map also had randomised obstacle positions), and there was also a destructible enemy spawner. There even was an event that claimed it lowered battle difficulty for remaining battles. I hope there are more dungeons like this one.

First 1-2 chapters can give you the sense of urgency with their deadlines and it taking a while to complete any kingdom quest, but you eventually do enough minor things everywhere to trigger mass completions of quests and I started chapter 3 with its 5-quest quota already fulfilled.

More potato:
    One of innkeeper greetings is not translated ("♪ Every day's great at your Placeholder~! ♫").
    Hmm... from the first two girls:
    Signy is great at kiting, can dodge a lot, if you pump her initiative a bit she acts before anyone else and her AoEs are very nice and easier to use exactly when you want them (authority AoE has great range and the rest you can adjust with jump-positioning yourself and using one authority for a second strike). Her cross-shaped attacks are especially useful at backstabbing enemies around your tanks. The authority attack can also take down high-HP units if there's no other enemy in range to steal hits. She's somewhat less useful against groups of ranged enemies.

On the other hand, Aliss can just hide behind her summon, which is amazing at both distraction/tanking and working in synergy with her fire spam (he can deal some damage himself too). Her abilities I think deal more damage overall. If used right, fire wall will turn any battle against melee enemies into a group suicide (it requires some straight distances between you and the enemy to reach full potential though). The 3x3 fireball is amazing vs tightly packed groups of enemies and can be applied from safe distance. Fire shield buff can be cast to help any character engaging enemies with stun attacks.

Signy is great straight out of the box, with ability modifiers only making them better; Aliss needs to unlock modifiers to remove LoS restrictions from some of her abilities and without the summon she's too fragile if left alone (for normal battles with other party members present it rarely matters and with a perk or two she can stack some armour for late turns).

Haven't unlocked diplomacy characters yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    I just lost 40-50 minutes because the load button of my previous save was in the same exact position as the "Go to save menu" button in a camp. And I double clicked by mistake. :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. I'm With Her Severian Silkgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Are there any large maps with bridges and rivers? I think Shining Force had these, and they were nice. (Only jSRPG I've played besides FFT.)

^ Top  
  11. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I had one with one River and two bridges. But they did not play that big a role given that there were 6 Vs 4 characters.

Otherwise, the game was a very pleasant surprise. The silliness is bearable indeed, and the bonus objectives can be very hard to achieve. I really like the stronghold elements. They are simple, but they introduce some resource decisions.

I dislike the UI and the lack of in mission saves though. Some quests can be pretty long.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. lightbanegender: ⚧ Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    So this is out already? Cool! I remember using the pre-order system from their webpage a while after the kickstarter was over, so I should receive an email with a code of some kind. What I don't remember is if the pre-order was for Steam or GOG or even both.

^ Top  
  13. Maxiegender: ⚧ Erudite

Maxie
    Parrots:
    later in the game they introduce a wide variety of pretty inventive maps

my favourite is some dwarven outpost in the east - first you have to kill one of the officers hidden behind the lines, then turn back and escape to safety through a crowd of angry ashigaru

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Mark Richardgender: ⚧ Savant

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    Best waifu is Gwen, but there's a catch. She's your sister.
    :mixedemotions:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. The Red Knightgender: ⚧ Novice

The Red Knight
    Parrots:
    There's this one:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

And this if you count chasms as rivers:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Some maps - including these two - are used for several battles each, with some changes between them (like the 2nd one with different placement/number of chasm bridges, in addition to any changes to obstacles).
    As for the size... seems like most maps are 16x16 grids, with a few smaller or irregular ones thrown in. I don't think I've seen a bigger one yet.

I think there might be some randomness thrown into battle encounters, as I once avoided the second part of a two-phase battle (it's labelled as ambush, with enemies appearing on map corners and you getting "bonus" turn for any unit you haven't finished moving with yet but with any wounds and cooldowns from the first round persisting) by changing the order in which I was clearing dungeon nodes. It was an especially annoying ambush at that, with 5 red mages, 1 black mage and a side objective of not using authority points - and any not spent one greatly boosting the damage these mages dealt.
    She wants to marry the debt collector and considers it a punishment.

^ Top  
  16. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    I did this a bit earlier today, helps a lot if you use Theo and Signy who can "hop" around fastly :)

^ Top  
  17. Maxiegender: ⚧ Erudite

Maxie
    Parrots:
    wrong you heretic
    Henrietta best girl, all classy and suave and voluptuous and wears bitchin glasses

^ Top  
  18. The Red Knightgender: ⚧ Novice

The Red Knight
    Parrots:
    That be a monocle on a chain with a nose bridge that's not attached to anything on the other side. Either it's holding up with her willpower alone or it's some painful-to-wear clip.

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    The way the game pushes the cast onto you in the first few days / weeks doesn't feel very satisfying. Most just randomly show up in your castle while you are away. You return from a quest, give them a little pep talk and that's it.

^ Top  
  20. Grifgender: ⚧ Educated

Grif
    Parrots:
    Agreed. Diego and Grenn is by far the worst culprit of this. At least you needed a quest to unlock Signy, and Mort while Levant is telegraphed fairly early on. Maybe it'll change when I level their relations up, but they're also the most uninteresting character for these reasons alone.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Maxiegender: ⚧ Erudite

Maxie
    Parrots:
    they will remain as uninteresting

the devs are planning to add new companions in the future, apparently

^ Top  
  22. Grifgender: ⚧ Educated

Grif
    Parrots:
    I finished the game in a marathon towards the end. Had a twist I should have foreseen, but they pulled it off decently, nonetheless.

Cute game, entertained me for a good 30 hours or so, probably more since I still need to clear some dungeons, and unlock some of the rest of the relationship. Probably not much replay value, however.

On the other hand, I noticed scaling on the dungeon mobs, which sorta put a damper on the whole thing level thing. What's the point of having higher numbers if everyone's gonna be as high leveled as you? Bandits wearing daedric armour and wielding glass swords all over again. But that's about the only real complaint I have, aside from the niggling bugs.

8/10, I'd say, overall.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    I am almost done myself. I definitely agree with the level scaling. Hitting sacks of hitpoints gets old in the end.

I didn't like the companion relationship mini game either, as it usually boiled down to guessing what the game designer had in mind instead of making choices, but overall, the game stays solid until the end.

At least, Diego is unequaled when it comes to raw AoE damage. His ultimate ability allows him to plaster quite a large portion of the battlefield.

I find the main protagonist underwhelming, except maybe for battles where you need to last a very long time, and challenges where you are not allowed to miss.

I usually go with one tank (Griffith or Legion, but usually Griff. I would probably have taken Legion if I had maxed his friend meter), Siggy for her awesome single target damage (if you manage to make sure a single target is in range of her ultimate power), Diego for AoE fun, the kindling for her summoning ability, and Henrietta for the ability to give a second action to someone else.

I am not sure about the Kindling and Henrieta (but her range also helps when you have a challenge requiring you to draw first blood).

The dwarf samurai seemed great with his ability to stack actions, but I was underwhelmed by his damage. Maybe with stacked physical penetration + weapon damage?

Which characters do you use in your team?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    ^ Top  
  24. Grifgender: ⚧ Educated

Grif
    Parrots:
    I ended up with Kay/Griffith, Esther, Signy/Aliss/Diego, and Mort most of the time. Signy, Aliss and Diego needs no explaining; they're there because they deal damage.

Kay when I want my team to be empowered 24/7, and with the occasional shield, Griffith otherwise if I want a tank.

Esther is just superb once you unlock her skill morph that lets her deal 250% base damage on one target (2k!). You're basically guaranteed a kill every two turns, and while you're only limited to cardinal directions, you get unlimited range instead. Also comes with a deployable tank that can distract in a pinch, and some other more situational abilities. Handy, all in all.

Mort has superb mobility, and he comes out of the box with skills that let you adapt to any situation accordingly. An attack that silences(!). Huge AOE attack that gives him shield. A Pure attack that ramps up to ridiculous levels with debuffs. The only underwhelming thing is his ultimate, which simply copies a debuff onto every enemy on the field. Very situational, but you can copy things like Stunned or Silenced.

Grenn and Mifune on the other hand, are so one-note that taking them is often a liability. Dwarf has shit movement range, and while being able to stack attacks is cool, his damage is so shit that I ended up using him as a pseudo-tank instead. Grenn is... Grenn. No idea how to use him. Vanish takes one turn. Stabbing people takes another. Damage underwhelming even then. Stun on demand is okay, I suppose, but then you find Vanish has a long cooldown, which kills his usefulness completely anyway.

Will try the other diplomacy characters next, Henrrieta seems to be very strong.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    I just finished the game.
    I used Henrieta a litte in the end. She is pretty strong indeed, and her ability to give a free action to someone else is great, as it allows you to only stack + Init on her. Her base attack hits harder and harder every round.
    I will have to try Esther next time. I doube Henrieta can come close to her damage output (maybe if you only stack her base attack to +250% but it takes 10 turns...).

I took Levant instead of Griffith for tanking as I could get his resists up to 65% (for the elemental ones) or 94% for the physical one.
    With help from Kay, he could tank anything forever (I left him + Kay support taking hits from 2/3 rd of the opponents while Diego and Aliss/Signy cleaned the remaining third).
    Mifune is weak indeed, and I gave up on him. The perks he unlocks for other are even not so great.
    Grenn I did not use, but I have read he is mostly useful for missions where you need to last a given number of turns (as he can stealth everyone to make the end easier).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)