Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

REDACTED [CYOA]

asxetos

Augur

Holy Cow

[tachyon tight beam/clearance cio transmission received @rho_71.1441.4729.3530 relayed @pnode_77.1441.5240.5315, pnode inoperative. Anomalous behavior of parent node troubling. Initiating wormhole broadcast @all 7000 series pnodes/clearance N32. Probability of breach minimal.]

240 seconds, Sol Standard. The glitch in the autodiagnostics system was fairly easy to find, once contextualized: the system was forcibly shut down and hard rebooted at some point in the past. Inference suggests the same has happened to all other dynamic systems, although the hard reboot failed with most. The archival database is not a dynamic system, however, and that doesn’t explain its malfunction. Nonetheless, without an update from Parent Node, the archives are the only hope you have of uncovering what may have caused this, with low probability. The autodiagnostics’ timeline was disrupted and it won’t be restored on its own. This is somewhat reassuring; the probability of you being compromised is now lower by an order of magnitude.

260 seconds, Sol Standard. No response from Parent Node. You glance at commset’s monitor, reflecting the familiar faint green glow. RHO 71 has apparently pinged Parent Node as inoperative. Could this have been a coordinated attack? If all Parent Nodes within range of RHO71 are inoperative, you are essentially stranded until a Nexus can be contacted. Troubling. You glance at autodiagnostics’ readout of the other Core Intelligences. CIs 1 and 2 were brought online at 800 and 400 seconds, Sol Standard, before your reanimation. They have exhibited no activity since. They have been destroyed, with high probability. Effects of a botched stasis reanimation? Enemy attack? Unknown. Without macrodiagnostics or direct physical investigation (impractical), unknowable.

270 seconds, Sol Standard. Cis 4, 5 and 6 remain dormant. Without the cryptographic q-core, you do not have the clearance codes to force their activation. Circumstances suggest that Node 7741 has been compromised by effects within the local planetary spatiotemporal system and from further up, extending at least to Parent Node 770. Possibly beyond. Yet, without the necessary information, you cannot act. Nonetheless you bring out from stasis your slaved guard drones: these should be enough to deter any immediate low intensity physical/informational attack.

300 Seconds, Sol Standard. No response from other Parent Nodes yet. If the pattern remains, CI4 will be brought online (though not necessarily operational) within 100 seconds, Sol Standard. Action is required once again.

1) Investigate macrodiagnostics system, bring online if possible.

2) Investigate archival database index, repair if possible.

3) Investigate cryptographic q-core, repair if possible.

4) Investigate perimeter defenses, bring online if possible.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
4. Sounds like the system is booting us up in 400 second intervals due to the previous unit being destroyed. Sounds like we have less than a 100 seconds before whatever is attacking us finds us.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now that you know the state of the information you are receiving it's definitely time to bring perimeter defense online.

Especially given the possible destruction of some defense already.

Option 4

There is 100 seconds until CI4 automatically comes online which is probably roots way of making sure we don't all get destroyed by the sjw space enforcers.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Now that we're done jerking off our cyber-selves, let's go with 1) and get some real situational awareness.

It's too soon to check the archives, there are more pressing concerns. At the same time, perimeter defense is not that pressing a concern cause we already deployed guard drones. Considering only 5 minutes passed in between updates, we're not gonna get nuked in the next 5. Contacting other CIs seems premature, we'd be sending out a signal for all to hear. Maybe whatever took out the Parent Node will be aware of us if our reach exceeds our grasp.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guard drones are only good for immediate physical defense.

To prevent heavier enemies from getting onto ship perimeter defenses are a necessity. The invaders most likely sent in the light attack forces first to set off any traps and identify major defenses so the heavier attack forces know where to focus their attention.

Holy Cow

Guard drones are only good for immediate physical defense.

whereas i am not in the habit of doing this because failure amuses me, i will point out (this time) that i wrote 'Nonetheless you bring out from stasis your slaved guard drones: these should be enough to deter any immediate low intensity physical/informational attack.' so this attack has as much a chance of being a DDoS/virus/network shutdown as it has of being an actual all-out attack, according to your (our? mine?) evaluation

edit: assuming it's an attack at all :smug:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Anybody here to actually help should be smart enough to give a newly awakened node time to come to terms with its situation before inserting itself all up in it's bizness.

This is either hostile or disrespectful. Either way it deserves defensive posture and possible counter attack.

Baltika9

Arcane
1, let's find out what happened to the other nodes before we dedicate ourselves to defense or information gathering.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
2 > 1

We need data more than blind defenses. A physical external attack would not be able to pinpoint the physical location of various core intelligences as they come online, and destroy them surgically as has been happening, so this destruction is hacking or just a cascading systems failure. We may have to die, but getting more information on the nature of the problem for the next CI will give him/her/it/xir more time to take action.

You glance at autodiagnostics’ readout of the other Core Intelligences.

We are glancing. We have biological optics. We are disappointingly not a prosperian AI subroutine. We are still thinking in impersonalised technical jargon, however, so this leads me to believe we are an advanced race of space autists. Possibly with penises, although possibly evolved to reproduce asexually.

Holy Cow

We are glancing. We have biological optics. We are disappointingly not a prosperian AI subroutine. We are still thinking in impersonalised technical jargon, however, so this leads me to believe we are an advanced race of space autists. Possibly with penises, although possibly evolved to reproduce asexually.

this is a good point, but it tells you more about the format of the CYOA than the story within it. I've found that stories in which the protag/narrator is completely alien is a hard thing to stay invested in (no surprise there), and a lot more so in a CYOA. so concessions are made. Im using seconds Sol Standard because of that reason, as well as other measurements that are gonna pop up soon. They're an arbitrary decision so as the whole thing doesn't appear to be written in nonsensical gibberish. We organic intelligences need points of reference, after all. I'll say this tho: the 'protag' of this CYOA could have just as easily consulted the diagnostics without glancing at its monitor. I'm just using human-like stuff where I can because there's already a lot of inhuman stuff to deal with

asxetos

Augur
It took us a bit more than a 100 seconds to fix the personal diagnostics.
I dont think we have enough time to go for more information and also get the defences up before ITZ.
Voting 4 just in case.

Jester

Arbiter
Screw this. Dirty Harry is only solution, we will (mby) ask questions after we stop shoting.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We can monitor the activities of previous CIs. Can we leave a message that a CI4/5/6 would be able to receive upon reactivation if they are operative?

If so, I vote for 1) macrodiagnostics. If our predecessors have been destroyed through external means, the others will learn about it and will be prepared. If it is a cascading failure... well, it would be worth knowing, too. Perhaps the following CIs would be able to isolate/disconnect themselves from whatever is coming, buying them more time to act.

If we can't contact them - well, then self-preservation takes priority.

Holy Cow

We can monitor the activities of previous CIs. Can we leave a message that a CI4/5/6 would be able to receive upon reactivation if they are operative?

assuming they become operational after (if?) being activated, everything 'you' know will be transferred to them, yes

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We need to stop acting like a meatbag and accept our multi-core nature. :salute:
assuming they become operational after (if?) being activated, everything 'you' know will be transferred to them, yes
Is the process automatic? What kind of network are we in, I wonder.

If the nodes were dead on arrival, and we just happened to be the first one relatively intact, it means that ITZ has already passed. At most, we will be dealing with the consequences.

If, however, the first two nodes were functioning upon the reactivation, and were subsequently destroyed/shut down, it means they have failed to contact us and transfer any meaningful data about their predicament. If the pattern continues, the ITZ might be able to get to the CIs one by one while they perform their routine checks.

I wonder if CI3 isn't already doomed regardless of our choices. :?

Maybe we should force the reactivation of all the other cores with 3) before we shut down.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
2) because we don't even know what we don't know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom