Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok I might be crossing the line here since this game isn't really an RPG but I think some of the open world fans might like it. Also, its on XBOX360 and no PC version yet (I kept hoping but doesn't seem like its coming)

It's an open world simulated western that is really well done, I have been quite impressed with it. There are no RPG style stats but you do develop honor and fame depending on how you act and the game does react differently to you whether you have negative honor or fame or positive. If you have high honor more people will ask you for help etc....

There are also game challenges that will allow you to get better outfits and stuff to provide better protection.

Only complaints are you cant talk to any NPC's that arent main story specific and many of the locations while explorable in the beginning dont have any scripted event happen until you get to a certain point in the main game.

Oh yea and its pretty easy but hey were talking about a game for the console generation.

Still if your looking for an open world Western its the best one I have played.

Anyone else play and what are your thoughts?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fucking mountain lions man.

Also, the final hub of the game has a bit of problem in that Marshton starts to behave non-sensically and out of character when it comes to Dutch.

It's also kind of funny that your bullet time ability's final upgrade actually makes it worse.

The duel mechanics also get kinda weird later on.

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
the best currentgen non-RPG game i've played (with uncharted 2 being very close). the only thing i didn't like were some of NPC, like Seth, who does not suit setting at all, but i cannot call them bad. however, everything else is excellent - world, story (better than in most modern fabular games), horses (no armors for them though, duh), shootouts.

Peter

Arcane
Brilliant game. Great story and atmosphere and tolerable popamole gameplay. The LARPing challenges were very fun as well. Last year's GOTY for me.

Misterhamper

Scholar
How's it compare to GUN? remember that game being quite good.

Also: no PC no care lol

Topher

Cipher
Admiral jimbob said:
Haven't they been hinting at a port recently? I do want to try it.

They've dropped a few very light hints but they could just be blowing smoke.

Deleted member 7219

I liked it, even though some of the characters really annoyed me. The snake oil salesman and the necrophiliac....

Still, best 'realistic' art direction I've seen in a video game. Horse riding done well too.

The Undead Nightmare DLC was quite fun. One thing I did made me really guilty....
The quest where you find Bigfoot, and he is crying about how he is the last of his species... well, I shot him. Then I felt like an arsehole.

Achilles

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Haven't they been hinting at a port recently? I do want to try it.

It's been rumored to be in development at the Canadian part of Rockstar. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Undead nightmare is fun. I believe it's what Rockstar wanted to do with GTA IV - there was a "LIBERTY CITY: QUARANTINE" teaser on their site once, but then it suddenly disappeared. People asked wtf happened, and R* released a viral achievement that got you a zombie-in-underwear skin for multiplayer when you got it - by killing someone who got it.

UN also has a codexer cameo.

http://youtu.be/9hSEwy8ZORc

Antediluvian

Educated
Great open world game, one of the only two bearable popamole shooters out there (second being Uncharted 2). Dan Houser's dialogue is as witty/smart/funny as it ever was. Hated doing missions for snake oil salesman though, freaking races...I wish John would've just stuck a gun up his ass and make him pay for the gatling gun instead of doing all those favors

ortucis

Prophet
I don't know if I want this on PC or not. I enjoyed GTA4 but the way it and Episodes from Liberty City.. or Bully.. and Manhunt.. err.. what I am trying to say is that Rockstar can't make PC ports.

The only other shit port similar to GTA4 I have seen is Saints Row 2.

Antediluvian

Educated
^ Huh? GTA IV was the only shitty port. Manhunt and older GTAs were flawless, not a single bug or loading problem

ortucis

Prophet
Antediluvian said:
^ Huh? GTA IV was the only shitty port. Manhunt and older GTAs were flawless, not a single bug or loading problem

Actually I remember a lot of performance issues with GTA: SA as well. Only games I remember performing flawlessly are GTA3 and Vice City (ignoring GTA1&2 of course).

Bully had a memory bug which meant that gamers with more than 2 GB ram got stuck at a loading screen after opening screen. This bug remained there despite complaints on their forum (which didn't had a PC section for the game at all) for more than a year by a lot of people. Then they FINALLY patched it when they were releasing another shitty port on PC.

Manhunt and Bully were shit ports. Manhunt ran without any problem but it looked like shit. Bully was released after Manhunt and looked even worse on PC. Hell, Quake 3 engine based games look ten times better than these two.

Oh and recently, Episodes from Liberty city again required countless patches to fix pretty much the same issues they released a thousand patches for before (for GTA4).

I'd say all this pretty much classifies Rockstar as shitporters.

Drakron

Arcane
I would be interested if it was a open world without forcing dumb shit like GTA were because there is a RC minigame then you MUST have a mission with the RC minigame.

From what I seen I dont want to play the god damn races, also I dont want to lasso horses and break then and all those bullshit minigames.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
About Gun, true story, I really liked that game so I bought Red Dead Redemption hoping that it would be just like it, or even better. I was disappointed.

Also, pray that Rockstar keeps their shit away from the PC.

Ermm

Erudite
GTA 4 took mission copy-paste to unseen levels. It felt just like they really tried to bore with their overstretched and insanely repetitive levels. I doubt that I will invest much time in next GTA main story missions.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Drakron said:
I would be interested if it was a open world without forcing dumb shit like GTA were because there is a RC minigame then you MUST have a mission with the RC minigame.

From what I seen I dont want to play the god damn races, also I dont want to lasso horses and break then and all those bullshit minigames.

Sounds like the David Cross RC mission generated some serious butthurt deep within your heart.

I don't think you'd like RDR, because the missions do contain some races and minigames. Which is a shame, because it's a great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom