Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No female on cover, no black on cover, no asian on cover, no mexican on cover.

HYPED FOR THIS AS FUCK

Notorious

Augur
Since they released GTA V almost 2 years after the consoles on PC with little to no changes and countless of idiots still payed full price for it, they would have to be complete morons not to repeat the same release model. But even then PC only made up for 10-15% of the sales.

Also, I'm not upset that they don't bring this boring garbage to PC.

Western games are rarer than modern western movies. Before this, there was what, Outlaws?

There was Gun, which was pretty good. Only kinda open world. It had zones you could travel between with activities and events in each. Main problem is the scope of the game (weapons, items, characters and length) seemed to shrink dramatically about halfway through development. It's like they looked at the deadline, realized it wasn't possible to do what they'd said and started jettisoning material frantically.

Since they released GTA V almost 2 years after the consoles on PC with little to no changes

Nothing like an expansion, certainly but the PC, Xbone and PS4 versions had the new first person modes, some more items, weapons, collectables, vehicles and a smattering of missions. Franklin got a new side-activity. On top of the graphics overhaul and reworking of the in-game eco-system with new NPCs, creatures and traffic. It wasn't a totally different game, but it's about as good an upgrade as you're likely to get these days. I played the original version on the 360 and the difference is pretty dramatic.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shouldn't they?
I really don't know why. Why be butthurt for a series that has never been on PC?

I don't know, just lazy. Since GTA 5 came out on PC and was pretty well optimized. And more and more people have gone over to PC nowadays, so it's just stupid not to.

I guess they just want to double dip. PC version will announced a while after release. And it's easier to lock down the online stuff with microtransactions on console than PC.

sullynathan

Arcane
GTA V sold like 60 million copies on console and around 6 million on PC, while RDR sold around 14 million. R* would lose sales by not releasing on PC, but I don't think it would affect them too much.

Rev

Arcane
GTA V sold like 60 million copies on console and around 6 million on PC, while RDR sold around 14 million. R* would lose sales by not releasing on PC, but I don't think it would affect them too much.
GTA V sold 60 million copies between four platforms that you are somehow comparing to a single one, the PC, which also had the "perk" of being released a year and a half later and still priced at 60 €, which is not only too high for the porting of a 1.5 year old game but it's also higher than the average PC game. And yet it still sold more than 5.5 mil on Steam alone (it's not a Steamworks game).
The only comparison that would make some sense is between the PC version and Xbox One or PS4 edition, since they had a similar path to release even if they were still released some months earlier, and although I don't have any data I don't think they outsold the PC version by a huge margin (only news I've found said the next-gen consoles combined had sold about 10 mil about six month after-release, so 5 each while PC was at 3.5 mil after the same timeframe on Steam alone).

sullynathan

Arcane
GTA V sold 60 million copies between four platforms that you are somehow comparing to a single one, the PC, which also had the "perk" of being released a year and a half later and still priced at 60 €, which is not only too high for the porting of a 1.5 year old game but it's also higher than the average PC game. And yet it still sold more than 5.5 mil on Steam alone (it's not a Steamworks game).
The only comparison that would make some sense is between the PC version and Xbox One or PS4 edition, since they had a similar path to release even if they were still released some months earlier, and although I don't have any data I don't think they outsold the PC version by a huge margin (only news I've found said the next-gen consoles combined had sold about 10 mil about six month after-release, so 5 each while PC was at 3.5 mil after the same timeframe on Steam alone).
VGChartz says the PS4 version has sold about 12 million while the Xbox One version is around 5 million and this is discounting digital copies for both systems.

Rev

Arcane
VGChartz says the PS4 version has sold about 12 million while the Xbox One version is around 5 million and this is discounting digital copies for both systems.
VGChartz is shit and digital sales are not that significant on consoles.

Still, if we want to pretend your data is true and ignore the fact that VGChartz is known for exagerating or even making up their numbers, the PC version outsold the XO in a shorter time frame.

Rev

Arcane
I know XO is far less successful than PS4 this gen. Still, you claimed that R* wouldn't be that much affected by releasing their games only on consoles, and instead the PC version probably outsold XO sales, so their decision to stick to their usual and shitty behaviour regarding the PC audience makes even less sense. And in fact pretty much every other AAA developer or publisher release their games on all three platforms simultaneously.

sullynathan

Arcane
Lets put it this way, the sales of the current gen consoles were diluted by the sales of the previous gen. I can almost guarantee that GTA V would have sold more on current gen consoles if it never originally released last gen.
Again, Red Dead has never been on PC. They aren't obligated to release it on PC either. They did around 14 million last time with RDR, I'm sure they can easily break 20 million now on the current gen.

Rev

Arcane
Yeah sure, and PC sales were also diluted by the fact that the game came out only a year and a half later and otherwise it would have sold more too, so what?

I hope they don't turn this into a trendy trash collecting & crafting skinner box shitfest :negative:

Gun was actually going to have a mechanic where you could scalp your enemies. If any of them happened to also be an enemy of an Indian tribe you could trade it in for unique items. That was talked about pretty frequently in the early previews. Then like so much else it vanished in the later stages of development. Not sure if they axed due to the a smaller player area meaning less need for tribe variety, time constraints, or...they realized what kind of shit storm would have come down on them.

Yeeeeehhaaaawww!!!

Yeehaw, you say?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
#currentyear

CvD5sHXUkAA1NBS.jpg

Called it. That's dastardly marketing.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Looks way better than GTA 5, probably because its made native for ps4 and xbone and not ported from ps3 and x360.

Probably the best looking game to date i have ever seen.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

We are less excited than most because it’s not been announced for the PC but we think you should take a look at this just in case Rockstar eventually decide to reveal a PC version.

http://www.pcinvasion.com/red-dead-redemption-2-trailer

So, for all I know, all the Red Dead Redemption 2 [official site] ad consists of is Sam Houser screaming “screw PC gaming and the horse it rode in on” at the screen for 68 seconds, but hell, let’s be optimistic.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/10/20/red-dead-redemption-2-trailer-pc/

Yup, that’s right, consoles: Rockstar decided not to grace the PC with their incredible Wild West open-world drama, filled with betrayals, standoffs, and fancy hats. Don’t be too sad though: it looks like a third game in the western series is on its way, and hopefully the PC won’t be forgotten this time.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/red-dead-redemption-2-release-date-setting-story

Prestigious PC gaming sites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom