Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some ps1/psp rpg games!

chongjasmine

Novice
I just bought a 2nd hand psp 3000.
I will be glad if you can recommend me some good rpg games for psp or ps1.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Final Fantasy I-IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Wild ARMs I-II
Wild ARMs XF
Suikoden I-II
Vagrant Story
Jeanne D'Arc
Ys VII
Tales of Eternia
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Grandia
Gungnir
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Growlanser IV
Front Mission 3
Valkyria Chronicles II-III
Legend of Heroes: TitS
Persona I-III
Arc the Lad I-II
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Legend of Mana
D&D Tactics
Brandish: The Dark Revenant
Disgaea games

Then you see if you can hack your PSP and revel in the SNES library.

Not RPGs but fun
Both God of War games
Ratchet & Clank
Daxter
Look up the Castlevania games
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Acid
Legends of War: Patton's Campaign
Patapon

Still missing a fuckton of games. Also, you can expect this thread to be moved to the JRPG section very soon.

bussinrounds

Augur

Deleted Member 16721

I'm not going to post a ton of recommendations. There are many good RPGs on PSP as well as emulators for older systems that have great RPGs that will work on a PSP. Google 'em.

However, I will share a tip for anyone interested in handheld RPG gaming. If you buy an Nvidia Shield tablet, get some form of bluetooth controller (i.e. an IPEGA controller) that physically attaches to the tablet, you will essentially have an 8" 1080p handheld device. Compared that to the 5" 720p screen of the PSP and it's no comparison.

The Shield can emulate PSP, Nintendo DS, PS1 and many more. Tons of RPGs to say the least. Add to that the fact that you can stream games from PC, buy games with the Nvidia store stuff and even play a bunch of dope RPGs on Android (and there are several, believe it), you essentialy have the most pimp handheld gaming device ever.

Did I mention you can use the Shield in Console Mode, hooked up to a TV? Use your spare TV as a Shield Console TV with another (or the same) bluetooth controller.

It's nice, it's real nice. :)

Deleted Member 16721

Oh, and D&D - Warriors of the Eternal Sun for Genesis is excellent. Go for it. :)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Legends of War: Patton's Campaign
Is this any good ?

As far as some non :desu:stuff goes....hack it and play some Wizardry on it..

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rdry-developers-updated-march-07-2016.105918/

also..

D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Buck Rogers and Might & Magic 2 for the Genesis
Order of the Griffon for the TG-16
Ultima 4 for Master System, 6 on SNES, 7/Exult for PSP (don't know how playable this is)
It's a decent time waster. If you like turn-based tactics, it's a solid choice for a PSP game. It won't blow your mind, but I was positively surprised by it. I was expecting the game to be total crap and just said "fuck it" and gambled on it. Missions are fun, and you get to improve your characters, although it's not super deep.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
Untold Legends: Warriors Code
Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony

These are diablo clones

Shinji

Savant
Well, if you consider the following games to be RPG's then go for it:
  • Parasite Eve I & II
  • Harvest Moon: Back to Nature

Ebonsword

Arcane
For another not-really-an-RPG recommendation, there's Warhammer 40K: Squad Command.

It's a bit easy, but is turn-based, has a decent variety of units, and has destructable terrain (which is always fun!).

warhammerdemo425.jpg

Exhuminator

Arcane
Best PS1 RPGs I've played...

Vagrant Story, King's Field 1-3, Shadow Tower, Koudelka, Mega Man Legends

Best PSP RPGs I've played...

Ys I & II Chronicles, Ys SEVEN, Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

So yeah I'd recommend those.

Deleted Member 16721

Don't sleep on Vandal Hearts, y'all. Pretty dope SRPG. And gotta love the sound design and crazy fountains of blood effects. :P

Max Stats

Liturgist
No one's mentioned Dragon Warrior 7? Then allow me to do so. Yes, it's been remade for 3DS, but the original's not chopped liver.

Cudgel

Learned
Patron
Don't sleep on Vandal Hearts, y'all. Pretty dope SRPG. And gotta love the sound design and crazy fountains of blood effects. :P
I have to second this. I remember a summer of never turning off the PS1 so that we could finish it, since we didn't have a memory card.

Everytime a character dies it looks like that scene where the ox gets machette'd in Apocalypse Now.

hackncrazy

Savant
For the ones mentioning King's Field: Is this still playable today? I've seen some footage of it and looks extremeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely slow to the point of total boredom.

I'm not going to post a ton of recommendations. There are many good RPGs on PSP as well as emulators for older systems that have great RPGs that will work on a PSP. Google 'em.

However, I will share a tip for anyone interested in handheld RPG gaming. If you buy an Nvidia Shield tablet, get some form of bluetooth controller (i.e. an IPEGA controller) that physically attaches to the tablet, you will essentially have an 8" 1080p handheld device. Compared that to the 5" 720p screen of the PSP and it's no comparison.

The Shield can emulate PSP, Nintendo DS, PS1 and many more. Tons of RPGs to say the least. Add to that the fact that you can stream games from PC, buy games with the Nvidia store stuff and even play a bunch of dope RPGs on Android (and there are several, believe it), you essentialy have the most pimp handheld gaming device ever.

Did I mention you can use the Shield in Console Mode, hooked up to a TV? Use your spare TV as a Shield Console TV with another (or the same) bluetooth controller.

It's nice, it's real nice. :)

You post really got me interested, but then I went to see the price and gave up. Better to stay on a PSP.

Deleted Member 16721

If you do ever decide to get a Shield, I'd recommend the older model. The newer model has a cheaper retail price new, but also removes the stylus and the stylus dock. The inside chips, etc., are all exactly the same.

I also showed a video of the Shield in Console Mode on my YouTube channel. I've been using it extensively in this mode lately, going as far as to just leave it connected to my TV this way. It also has HDMI-CEC so the TV will turn on/off with the tablet automatically, etc. Cool stuff.

You could probably do what I just described for $250 or so, and that includes the IPEGA controller. However, for a bit extra dough you can get the Dualshock 4 (a superior controller) and the tablet clip for that controller. Thus the handheld experience will be even better and the Console Mode stuff will be better as well.

Exhuminator

Arcane
For the ones mentioning King's Field: Is this still playable today? I've seen some footage of it and looks extremeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely slow to the point of total boredom.
King's Field is not for everybody, but it's an amazing series. (I absolutely love the games, and have beaten them all (along with both Shadow Towers), so I am quite biased admittedly.) Yes the games do play slowly, but there's a method to the madness. The gameplay is slow enough to allow realtime tactical decisions, but fast enough that you have to think more on your feet than you would with a turn based dungeon crawler.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If you do ever decide to get a Shield, I'd recommend the older model. The newer model has a cheaper retail price new, but also removes the stylus and the stylus dock. The inside chips, etc., are all exactly the same.

I also showed a video of the Shield in Console Mode on my YouTube channel. I've been using it extensively in this mode lately, going as far as to just leave it connected to my TV this way. It also has HDMI-CEC so the TV will turn on/off with the tablet automatically, etc. Cool stuff.

You could probably do what I just described for $250 or so, and that includes the IPEGA controller. However, for a bit extra dough you can get the Dualshock 4 (a superior controller) and the tablet clip for that controller. Thus the handheld experience will be even better and the Console Mode stuff will be better as well.

I just bought a brand spanking new Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 off of Amazon Market Place and waiting for USPS delivery. Originally was going to pay $180 but the first vendor cancelled my order. I was pretty glum about it since I had already bought a case for it. Then a different vendor was selling it for $118, also advertised as new! It better be. If I discovered it was an open box or return of a defective Nvidia Shield product I will be as pissed as a bull in the Running of the Bulls event chasing pissed mexicans. Was going to buy the IPEGA controller until I heard the dead-zone on it is 50 shades of shit. Now gonna get a DualShock 4 Bluetooth controller and hope it's not counterfeit grade c knockoff junk made in China. I'll be using it with one of these. Seems like the perfect setup for portable gaming, bro.

Deleted Member 16721

Portable and console. It can output 4k res so when you're not using it portably it's essentially an Android console. Plus an emulator console. Oh yeah, and an Nvidia Gamestream console that you can play PC games on like a Steam Link. Insane crazy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom