Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Recommend me some games for DS/3DS.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since yesterday, I own a Nintendo 3DS, which is quite a landmark for me, since I have never owned any console before in my 30 years of life. :incline: ? :decline: ? Whatever.

Before I sell it via an internet auction, maybe there are some RPGs for this system which good enough that it's worth keeping? I found a working DS emulator for my android phone, but it's slow as shit. The console easily fits into a pocket, which may mean RPGing on the toilet@work.

In before justfuckinggoogleit.com, I trust The Codex opinions a lot more than I trust random sites on the internetz. Will be gratful for any recommendations.

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SMT: Strange Journey - first person blobber. It's a bit wordy at times (skip skip skip ski--- just shut up already, I understood the point five minutes ago!), but the dungeon designs are excellent (traps, one way doors, secret doors, invisible walls, invisible teleporters - the works). The sprites even lack the worst of the typical ills of anime design. It's not hairpullingly difficult, but not the easiest of games either. Especially some boss battles might get slightly frustrating.

Ad working 3DS emulator - tell us, tell us now.

deuxhero

Arcane
Etrian Odyssey series (1-3 DS, 4 is 3DS)
Strange Journey
Soul Hackers is coming in half a month (3DS)
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (fan-translated, need a flashcart for it)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Devil Survivor (DS, 3DS port with some extras) and Devil Survivor 2 are fine, a little too animu.

I think Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is good, yet to play it.

I think a flashcart will let you play GBA games and pirate DS ones, but I don't know which ones still work in a 3DS.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
^ That's a good list.

If you enjoy the older Wizardries, you may also enjoy The Dark Spire. It's one of the best games of its kind, and has no anime at all.

There are also some flawed RPGs that are nevertheless worth giving a try, like Infinite Space, Radiant Historia or The World Ends With You. Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light is nice if you enjoy the more light-hearted games, and there are also the FF3 and 4 remakes. Shiren the Wanderer is a pretty decent roguelike. Suikoden Tierkreis is too easy, but still enjoyable if you'd like another Suikoden game. Orcs & Elves is a fun little "casual" dungeon crawler from Carmack.

For SRPGs, apart from the obvious Fire Emblem, you could give Advance Wars, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Rondo of Swords, and Knights in the Nightmare a try. The latter two are pretty divisive, but I thought they were really good.

Oh, and there's also Disgaea, of course.

Black Cat would also mention Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure and A Witch's Tale. I did enjoy Rhapsody a lot :oops:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Orcs and Elves is Carmack? I noticed a certain 'familiarity' which reminded me of his earlier mobile efforts. Neat little game indeed, and EA published so they beat out Codex's current favorite publisher Ubisoft.

Thanks for the lists by the way guys and gals. Though I had many of these downloaded, there were quite a few things I hadn't heard of.

SearchEngine

Learned
DS
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. A hardcore first person dungeon crawler where you make contracts and recruit monsters to fight with you against other creatures. It has slight c&c and your alignment decides who you will fight in the end and your endings. It's Pokemon (only except SMT did it before Pokemon) mixed with Wizardry.

Hoshigami Remix. An extremely difficult srpg. It's similar to FFT in grid-based and class and level system, but how it works is that the character system is based on which god you choose to worship and their element alignment. There are also three other systems: RAP: Instead of the typical one moment-one attack on each turn, you can continue taking action (moving, battling, magic, whatever) until your ready-for-action-points gauge is filled. You can overfill it but it'll slow down your next turn; Coinfeigm: each coinfeigm had their own spells that can level up and customize (sort-of a derivative of FFVI's relics). Combination attack: is when you can have your character can "shoot" your opponent a step back next to your "session" character(s) can in turn attack the opponent again.

Infinite Space: a 3D RTS/space simmish game that lets you control a ship and emphasizes ship customization along with which characters to be with you. It also has c&c.

Dragon Quest V. It's Pokemon (DQ did it before Pokemon too) with a ton content and exploration. You can also choose which bride you want to be with.

Etrian Oddyssey III. It's also a hardcore first person dungeon crawler. In this version, there are 12 new classes with the ability to sub-class and ship voyages depends on your preparations. There is also three different endings depending on which city you side with or neither. You can upgrade your weapons through forging.

Chrono Trigger: A port of an SNES game that uses time travel as its gimmick. There are 13 different endings you can get based on changes you make. One of the most notable ones is that you can kill the main character and have a villain join your team. It's easy going and has more content than the original.

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords: It's Bejeweled with experience points, story, and partners to bring along with you.

The Dark Spire: Another hardcore first person dungeon crawler. One of the few non-animuish jrpg. It's a throwback to Wizardry and your alignment decides who would battle with you and skill points. Three different endings too.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. It's rogue-like dungeon crawler where you play as actual Pokemon. You get your main character based on gender and multiple choice questionnaire the game sets up at the beginning. You won't always get the same Pokemon for yourself but it can be a pain-in-the-ass if you're picky on your preference (I always try to get a Totodile or Treecko). Fortunately you can choose your partner who will always be a different element than your PC. You can recruit other Pokemon too.

Rune Factory 3: An arpg spin-off of the Harvest Moon franchise. You grow crops, fish, and woo people like HM but instead of using farm animals like the HM series, you battle and befriend monsters from dungeons to help you on your farm. The Rune Factory series tends to be samey like the Harvest Moon series so I recommend the third game since it has new dynamic schedules, interactions, and villagers can help you battle in dungeons.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: It's not the most :obviously: game but it has a fun story that let's you play as Bowser. Its gameplay is turned based with mini-games as your attack. It's pretty short so if you don't feel like heavy rpging, choose that one. Warning, when you inhale as Bowser, hold down (or keep pressing, I don't remember) the y button along with repeating the x button. The game tells you all you need to do was button smash x to make Bowser inhale and it is lying.

3DS
Fire Emblem: Awakening: Best. Fire Emblem. Ever. In this game, you can customize and create your own character, class system with the ability to change like in Shadow Dragon, branching choices for units to promote in, Dual Strike with a supporting character, have children with the support character of the opposite sex and used the children in battle as well like in Genealogy of Holy-War.

Shin Megami Tensei Overclocked: A tactical rpg brimmed with c&c. Like FFT/FE/Tactics Ogre, you battle on grid-based with similar rule of attacking when you get next to the enemy (unless under certain conditions) with a turned based traditional SMT battle. You get monsters not through contracts necessarily but auctions.This version adds an eighth day and 2 more endings (4 in original).

Crimson Shroud: A tribute to table-top where your dice roll affects your battling. You move your character over a map. You don't level up, but you can use multiple die and fuse equipment.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rpgs? Pssshah!

Play castlevania order of ecclesia. Storyline gets a bit derp though. I hate hamfisted 'romance'.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Slightly off-topic: I am pissed of at how Nintendo tackles things with those mobile consoles. You know, DS and 3DS would have been prime consoles here in Euroland if not for completely bonkers politics Nintendo is exercising. The prices of games are insanely high - I can literally buy first class PC titles for half the price of goddamn mobile console game on the release. What's worse the premieres of the most successful games can take place *months* after the their releases in Japan or US, if at all (e.g. we are still waiting for Fire Emblem: Awakening). Naturally when they arrive here they are fully priced.

They really, really want me to emulate the shit of their games.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've already beaten FF4, Chrono Trigger and Puzzle Quest, so these three are not of interest to me, but they are good games, so we're on the same page here. :)

I already have Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time, as a part of a bundle. I wasn't aware that Msytery Dungeon series are RPGs.

I've checked Polish internet auctions for the other recommended games and most of them are not there at all, and if they are, cost around $45, which is waaaaaaay more than I'm used to paying for games.

I won't even mention how much do new DS games cost here. WTF is wrong with this world

At least I found two Dragon Quest games for $12 each. These should work.

Thanks, bros & gals.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey, that Hoshigame thing is pretty cool tactics ogre clone and pretty challenging. Just restart the battle if a teammate dies because you'd have to train another from level 1. If i had a DS... and money... i 'd get it.

flabbyjack

Arcane
The recommendations still keep coming.

Must-Plays
Disgaea will keep you busy for a while. Its one of the better Final Fantastic Tactics clones, although its has too many battle mechanics to keep track of.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. Freakin' fun. Final Fantastic Tactics reincarnated!

Breath of Fire 3.

Soft recommendations

Some people like Valkyria Chronicles. Very animu.

Jeanne D'Arc is supposedly :5/5:.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Someone translated ファイアーエムブレム新・紋章の謎 ~光と影の英雄~; I love that game. It's much superior to Fire Emblem: Awakening. You can find the translation by searching for New Mystery of Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow. Highly recommended.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Someone translated ファイアーエムブレム新・紋章の謎 ~光と影の英雄~; I love that game. It's much superior to Fire Emblem: Awakening. You can find the translation by searching for New Mystery of Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow. Highly recommended.

This shit is simply majestic. :bounce: Again, my plans to cut down on vidia games have been foiled. Damn Thank you. :salute:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Very satisfying game, Lunatic feels like playing Thracia 776, and that's not even the hardest.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The recommendations still keep coming.

Must-Plays
Disgaea will keep you busy for a while. Its one of the better Final Fantastic Tactics clones, although its has too many battle mechanics to keep track of.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. Freakin' fun. Final Fantastic Tactics reincarnated!

Breath of Fire 3.

Soft recommendations

Some people like Valkyria Chronicles. Very animu.

Jeanne D'Arc is supposedly :5/5:.

Shame that Disgaea DS is obviously trimmed down. If you have to go portable it's better to play the PSP version.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Thanks for the recommendations, bros and gals, but in the end I've decided to sell the console in order to gather some potato to support the CRPG incline.
Anyway, I appreciate the effort. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom