Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a roguelike

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Man up and play old ADOM.

Also there is very good but obscure and unfinished roguelike Xenocide. Try it. It is short and interesting enough to finally let you appreciate the glorious ASCII.

V_K

Arcane
There was an X-COM roguelike in the works (and a fantasy spin-off if memory serves), but I'm not sure it's the one (and the site doesn't seem to work).
EDIT: Nope, I was thinking of X@COM, which was developed by the Cogmind dev and is apparently on hiatus.

Last edited:
EnthalpyFlow

To answer your question, let me ask you one in return. Are you looking for some tiny roguelike for casuals to play in between Skyrim sessions, or are you looking for the real thing?

If it's the former, then by all means, play what has already been suggested in the thread. But if it's the latter, then sweep away all that casual crap and play the one roguelike to rule them all.

The roguelike that has been in development since 1987 and still is. The roguelike that despite being in ASCII itself, now has a glorious 2D isometric interface, and will soon have an even prettier one.

The roguelike that if you abstain from looking up hints online will take many years (if ever) to complete, by gradually building up a knowledge-base of lore, a unique feature of this game you won't find anywhere else.

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Vulture

Zetor

Arcane
Invisible Inc is pretty good (though I suppose it's a roguelite). Kinda like XCOM meets FTL in a stealth-em-up? Man, that's a lot of buzzwords.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
EnthalpyFlow

To answer your question, let me ask you one in return. Are you looking for some tiny roguelike for casuals to play in between Skyrim sessions, or are you looking for the real thing?

If it's the former, then by all means, play what has already been suggested in the thread. But if it's the latter, then sweep away all that casual crap and play the one roguelike to rule them all.

The roguelike that has been in development since 1987 and still is. The roguelike that despite being in ASCII itself, now has a glorious 2D isometric interface, and will soon have an even prettier one.

The roguelike that if you abstain from looking up hints online will take many years (if ever) to complete, by gradually building up a knowledge-base of lore, a unique feature of this game you won't find anywhere else.

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Vulture

This looks pretty fucking neato. Thank you kindly!

And again, thank you kindly to all of you making suggestions!

Severian Silk

There is also GearHead.

http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

Has an interesting adaptive plot that changes based on what you do, and is randomized each time you start a game. I wish he would use more standard tactics combat though. Things like barriers, stances, action points, etc.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
My (late) recommendations:

1. Classic roguelike with a single dungeon: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (DCSS). Can't go wrong with this one. Not as complex compared to some but still very complex with deep mechanics a lot of classes, races, possible playstyles. Gods. The dungeon is diverse, with a few parts non-randomized and with enough variety to it. There is a built-in tileset mode and ASCII versions.

2. Roguelike with overworld and multiple dungeons, a bit different mechanics than most older titles: TOME4: Tales of Something-Something. Built-in graphical mode, great amount of content. Base game can still be had for free i believe and is big enough to last for hundreds of hours.

Open world roguelike, with mostly classical mechanics but otherwise very different - Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead (Cataclysm DDA). This game is fantastic and i can't recommend it enough. It is huge. And great. And incredible. Also imbalanced (hard at the start, gets easier as you progress). Setting is postapocalyptic with some sci-fi elements. You can build cars - any vehicles including land-cruisers/moving forteress thingy if you are inclined to do so. Has built-in tilesets and ASCII version - and fan-made music/sound packs supported in-game ! Did i mention the RECOMMENDED part ?

4. Short roguelike (also Sci-fi not fantasy): DoomRL. Best (because the only finished one afaik) work of Kornel Kisielewicz. Great, fun, very fast for a roguelike, very replayable and yet has a lot of content and isn't simplistic.

5. A borderline roguelike/roguelike-ish game that tried something very different: WazHack. This one is a bit weird. In short it is a simplified version of Nethack with graphics similar to side-scrollers or such. Don't be alarmed by the "simplified" part - the original game is REALLY big and complex so WazHack has still enough content and depth to be interesting and the very different graphic perspective also results in a slightly different gameplay. Obviously only graphical, no ASCII version. Often overlooked, disliked by purists but in my opinion a great game worth checking

6. A shitty roguelike i like very much nonetheless. Sword of the Stars: the Pit. It gets repetitive, a single playtrough is way too long for what depth it offers but the game at the same time encourages replayability (it is a roguelike after all). Boring dungeon design (almost every level is essentialy the same). It has its ups: Sci-fi not fantasy (for me it is a good thing), good sense of humour, charming graphics, good diversity of items and monsters. No ASCII. Good for what it is but i liked it a lot for some reason.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
I liked DCSS a lot and I also sort of got into ADOM despite sucking at it and never getting very far. For the cell phone I also played a lot of Pixel Dungeon, but item/loot luck is a little too important in it, I think. There's not a lot of room for you to play how you want compared to most roguelikes but it still manages to suck you in. It's also notably sort of a ripoff/streamlined version of another classic roguelike.

Also based on this thread I just started Sil. Only put about two hours in so far but it's very good.

Exhuminator

Arcane
People have been making some good PC recommendations. There's one PC classic I'd like to add:

Beneath Apple Manor (Apple II)

To take a moment to mention some console and handheld roguelikes I like:

Fatal Labyrinth (Genesis)
Dragon Crystal (Game Gear)
Cave Noire (Game Boy)
Mystery Dungeon Shiren The Wanderer (DS)
Shiren the Wanderer (PSP / Wii)
Baroque (PS2)
Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS)
Nightmare of Druaga (PS2)
Rogue Hearts Dungeon (PS2)
Torneko: The Last Hope (PS1)
Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (Vita)

Android roguelikes I enjoy: Delver, UnityRogue, Sproggiwood, Card Dungeon, MicRogue, 1-Bit Rogue, Out There Ω

On Android I want to give a special shout out to Darkness Survivor:
W7I4mz8.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zeroplusplus.rpg1&hl=en

I like it a lot. But maybe it sucks if you're not batshit masochist.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
All roguelikes are bad. Some may be less bad than others though, but they are all bad, and they only exist because there aren't enough good real RPGs.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
ADOM has graphics now if you're into that kind of thing. (I prefer to run the DOS version in DosBox, because I can have a 'real' fullscreen mode that way.)

Keye_

Educated
Has anyone here played Cardinal Quest 2 for iOS? What did you think about it? Any good (for a mobile game)?

rado907

Savant
The one that did it for me was TOME. You can get it for free but it's also on Steam for like $10. Has nice tiled graphics. And it's a serious rogue-like, beating it even once on medium difficulty (where you have a few lives to play with) is tough.

Deleted Member 16721

I just thought of a roguelike strategy game. Conquest of Elysium 3. I call it a roguelike strategy because it is designed for smaller matches but has a ton of different variables you can set and play with. Classes, various options and even getting to pick the starting age of the world itself which changes the game considerably. Great game and very deep, made by the same devs of the Dominions series.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2. Roguelike with overworld and multiple dungeons, a bit different mechanics than most older titles: TOME4: Tales of Something-Something. Built-in graphical mode, great amount of content. Base game can still be had for free i believe and is big enough to last for hundreds of hours

TOME is one of those roguelikes that are quite fond of shenaningans (for example, there's a bot that tweets the latest player character death shown on the chat log although some of the descriptions can be very amusing, also you can stumble upon deitful staves or any other typical wizard gear with magic disruptive properties, which renders all your magic powers useless). Despite this, Tales of Maj'eyal is one of the most approachable roguelikes available, and boasts a wide selection of classes, each one offering diverse and imaginative gameplay, given that skillset combinations provide a playground of possibilities.

Keye_

Educated
It's ok. Definitely much, much better than the previous one though.

However, like most roguelites, it has unlocks.

I've been playing it a bit and I would even say it's good, considering it's on mobile. The unlocks don't bother me much, you seem to earn the 'morale points' pretty fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom