Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a good game with high system requirements!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is this the moment I realize that I didnt have to throw THAT much money on this machine? Oh well, still gonna check most of the recommendations, since I have nothing better to do.
I always feel like that but you will find occasional games that are really fun and if you can play them with max settings, it makes the whole thing worth it imo. Especially seeing as a high end PC can last so long nowadays. I built my PC in about 2009, I upgraded the graphics card last year and added more ram and an SSD but the rest of the PC is the same thing I've had for 7 years and I can play any game with maximum settings at 2560x1080 which is no small feat. When you think of the cost spread over that many years, it's really no big deal.

Also, got Twitcher 1, gonna give that bastard another go. Any tips?
Witcher 1 sucks. 2 sucks less but still sucks. 3 is a masterpiece but with shitty combat.

Crysis is a fun disposable shooter. Pretty graphics and some freedom in how you approach each battle, and it also becomes like a different game if you get experienced with the suit modes. You can zip around like a superhero going invisible and jumping over buildings and stuff all in the middle of a gunfight. Worth a try for sure. I also recommend ignoring everything Sully says because he is a retarded millennial with no taste.

v1rus

Arcane
Right, tried Crysis out. Fun an' all, but there seems to be a problem with my display (TV) - everything is on very high, and it runs nps, but if move camera really fast (like you do in shooters) the picture gets sliced up for a sec. Or at least, thats the closes that I can describe it. Seems like a display error, to me. Quite annoying :(

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Right, tried Crysis out. Fun an' all, but there seems to be a problem with my display (TV) - everything is on very high, and it runs nps, but if move camera really fast (like you do in shooters) the picture gets sliced up for a sec. Or at least, thats the closes that I can describe it. Seems like a display error, to me. Quite annoying :(
Use VSYNC, or triplebuffering.

v1rus

Arcane
Use VSYNC, or triplebuffering.

Cant find those options anywhere ingame :(

Astral Rag

Arcane
You can always use Nvidia Control Panel or Ati Catalyst Control Center:

b7BdiQj.png

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
EDIT - just remembered something important - should I be playing Witcher on a joypad or keyboard + mouse?
Mouse and keyboard are the only viable option for TW1. The other two games are maybe playable with a gamepad if you're really into that sort of thing, but really, KB + M works fine.

Also, don't listen to people who are wrong — The Witcher 1 is the best in the series, and it has the best gameplay mechanics as well. The combat is of acquired taste, but there's not all that much wrong with the actual systems once you get used to how it works.

nomask7

Arcane

If you have a good new monitor and graphics card, you should be able to use freesync. You need a displayport cable for that (be sure to get a good one or you'll encounter issues), and you have to switch it on from your monitor settings as well as graphics card settings. Make sure you have those settings before acquiring the cable.

With freesync you can probably have framerates between 40 to 75 or whatever your monitor supports. With vsync it's probably 60, dipping to 30 for those moments when the graphics card can't do 60.

EDIT: Or whatever is the Nvidia equivalent if you have Nvidia instead of ATI. You'll have to read up on it.

v1rus

Arcane

If you have a good new monitor and graphics card, you should be able to use freesync. You need a displayport cable for that (be sure to get a good one or you'll encounter issues), and you have to switch it on from your monitor settings as well as graphics card settings. Make sure you have those settings before acquiring the cable.

With freesync you can probably have framerates between 40 to 75 or whatever your monitor supports. With vsync it's probably 60, dipping to 30 for those moments when the graphics card can't do 60.

EDIT: Or whatever is the Nvidia equivalent if you have Nvidia instead of ATI. You'll have to read up on it.

Got asus strix 1060 but my monitor is a tv, whats prolly causing the problem. Connect with HDMI

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
All games are the same, you have to do vsync in game or enable it with the graphics card control panel. It is the first thing I do in every game.

nomask7

Arcane
Got asus strix 1060 but my monitor is a tv, whats prolly causing the problem. Connect with HDMI

Well in that case you have to force enable vsync as has been stated. The problem is caused by the game fps not matching the monitor/TV refresh rate. Like, if your frames per second are 80 and your screen refresh rate is 60, you're going to have screen tearing most likely. Vsync was developed to fix this problem by locking the fps to match your screen refresh rate; freesync on the other hand does the opposite, varying the screen refresh rate to match the game's fps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom