Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me 3DS (or DS) RPGs

Ausdoerrt

Augur
The World Ends With You (DS) is beautiful. Mobile version is also decent but different.

Tigranes

Arcane
I also got a 3DS and played a few games mostly based on earlier Codex recommendations. I can say:

Etrian Odyssey - the best mix of exploration, combat, pacing, etc. for me. EOU2 is really nice (play classic, not story mode, you're fucking here for blobbing around fighting not the retarded dialogue are you), EO5 also seems quite good and similar.

Fire Emblem - the pre-3DS old ones are the best, but Fates: Conquest has been decent for me, good old turn-based combat with a fair bit of challenge. Just make sure to rapid-fire skip through literally the most retarded dialogue and character design - some kind of blender mix of 12 year old's first fanfic of a Bioware plot plus the least creative deviantart drawings of SO KAWAII MY FAVOURITE ANIME XX-CHAN SWOON.

The World Ends etc - I think it was worth playing for the novelty value alone; it's a kind of late 90s/early 00s imagination of Shibuya and generational angst that will click with anyone who enjoyed Evangelion, it's a very oddball kind of game all round, and it oozes style. Downsides are that it's not really much of a game, the mechanics are mostly there to move the story along, while the combat is very eclectic and can be hit and miss; I never really got the hang of controlling both characters on both screens at once, but people who do seem to like it. The story is basically "pretty good anime" quality, so that depends on what you normally enjoy of that genre.

Dark Spire - have not yet got a chance to go far on this yet, but this is basically an old school blobber. No hands held, lots of dying and backtracking if you aren't careful.

I can also say that as someone who liked the original Mario games then stopped, the Mario 3D game is excellent and well worth purchasing; the New Super Mario Bros. game is also good, if a bit too more-of-the-same.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I also got a 3DS and played a few games mostly based on earlier Codex recommendations. I can say:

Etrian Odyssey - the best mix of exploration, combat, pacing, etc. for me. EOU2 is really nice (play classic, not story mode, you're fucking here for blobbing around fighting not the retarded dialogue are you), EO5 also seems quite good and similar.

Fire Emblem - the pre-3DS old ones are the best, but Fates: Conquest has been decent for me, good old turn-based combat with a fair bit of challenge. Just make sure to rapid-fire skip through literally the most retarded dialogue and character design - some kind of blender mix of 12 year old's first fanfic of a Bioware plot plus the least creative deviantart drawings of SO KAWAII MY FAVOURITE ANIME XX-CHAN SWOON.

The World Ends etc - I think it was worth playing for the novelty value alone; it's a kind of late 90s/early 00s imagination of Shibuya and generational angst that will click with anyone who enjoyed Evangelion, it's a very oddball kind of game all round, and it oozes style. Downsides are that it's not really much of a game, the mechanics are mostly there to move the story along, while the combat is very eclectic and can be hit and miss; I never really got the hang of controlling both characters on both screens at once, but people who do seem to like it. The story is basically "pretty good anime" quality, so that depends on what you normally enjoy of that genre.

Dark Spire - have not yet got a chance to go far on this yet, but this is basically an old school blobber. No hands held, lots of dying and backtracking if you aren't careful.

I can also say that as someone who liked the original Mario games then stopped, the Mario 3D game is excellent and well worth purchasing; the New Super Mario Bros. game is also good, if a bit too more-of-the-same.

Yes EOU2 is great so far, but holy fuck what is up with that grimoire spam? Im sometimes feeling like im playing a slot machine when im fighting. They also clutter my grimoire inventory up like hell because i keep getting the exactly same grimoire stones over and over again. Any way to deal with this?

I actually already played Dark Spire for a bit on my phone and it was so fantastic that it made me buy the 3DS in the first place (as i wanted to enjoy it on a real console and having actual buttons to press helps alot with the dark areas).

Well, this is what I've played so far. I wouldn't really recommend spend good money on any of these games though (maybe 10$ as much), but well I'll just leave a brief comment and judge yourself.

Dragon Quest VII remake:
A prettier port, the same game with less grindy features. Monster classes are quirky and have fun abilities, yet unnecessary to invest time on since the game is so damn easy, so you can do well with only the boring-ass human classes. Never had a single battle that challenged my blobby crew of guys with monster classes.

Yeah i also had this problem when i played Dragon Quest V DS remake on emulator. You couldnt even up the challenge by not picking a 4th party member. I finally "solved" my problem by only picking my pet cat as 4th member which i didnt give any equipment.

Dragon Quest, like most j-rpgs, could really benefit from having different difficulty settings. There are some old ones that are way too punishing for the younger audiences and as soon as devs figured out that thats a problem they just dumped difficulty down. Maybe, if they feel like it, they add another difficulty after you finished the game. But i dont want to finish the fucking game in order to play it again to enjoy it.

Anyways, what about Final Fantasy 3 DS? Does it have anything interesting going on compared to the NES version?

Tigranes

Arcane
Doktor Best

Grimoire spam is super fucking annoying, but soon you get an option to basically select 800 of them you don't want, and trade them in for a single random one of equivalent value. They really needed to make them rare drops instead of this farming bullshit.

I ignored the retarded farming mechanics (e.g. the various GRIMOIRE CHANCE!!!! stuffs) and just equipped the Grimoires I like - e.g. ones that boost your best passives beyond 10, or ones that give you key skills your party doesn't have.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Just trade in all the crappy grimoires for a random level 10 grim and then use QR codes to trade for level 10 grimoires that you actually want. That's the only way to enjoy Grimoires in EOU2. Unfortunately this isn't an option in EOU.

miles teg

Scholar
I just finished SMTIV. What do I get more if I buy Apocalypse as well? I loved the core gameplay of the game and the atmosphere and lore, BUT:
1) The game gets too easy in the end, at level 70 I had still level 50/55 demons around and no push to update them.
2) Tokyo map is a freaking maze and it's almost impossible to navigate without a guide.
3) fusing demons becomes often a matter of just moving your best skills to a demon with better magic/phy stat. It starts great, but it becomes a bit of a chore in the end.
4) NPCs are nothing to write home about
5) Last 2 dungeon (the forest where you battle the whites and purgatory) were a pain to navigate and I was totally burned: they didn't add anything apart of boring time sink and a headache.

Does Apocalypse address any of these problems? if not, I'll try another spinoff of the series (like DeSu, for example)

Last edited:

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just finished SMTIV. What do I get more if I buy Apocalypse as well? I loved the core gameplay of the game and the atmosphere and lore, BUT:
1) The game gets too easy in the end, at level 70 I had still level 50/55 demons around and no push to update them.
2) Tokyo map is a freaking maze and it's almost impossible to navigate without a guide.
3) fusing demons becomes often a matter of just moving your best skills to a demon with better magic/phy stat. It starts great, but it becomes a bit of a chore in the end.
5) Last 2 dungeon (the forest where you battle the whites and purgatory) were a pain to navigate and I was totally burned: they didn't add anything apart of boring time sink and a headache.

Does Apocalypse address any of these problems? if not, I'll try another spinoff of the series (like DeSu, for example)

No. It's even worse, since in Apocalypse you have this annoying jade dagger minigame thing that adds retarded backtracking to the already awful dungeon navigation. Plus inane npcs and a weird gothic lolita. Tokyo map is a bit easier to navigate through because of the shorcuts tho.

The only megaten spinoffs I have played on 3ds so far are devil survivor games. And well i already said enough about em in my previous reply. Up to you if u dont mind the shallow srpg gameplay and following a storyline through a lineal sequence of glorified slideshows. I think Soul Hackers is available on 3DS and during early 2018 Strange journey redux is gonna be released in western world, so u can wait this release or play that.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

1) Apocalypse retains its difficulty throughout the whole game. Combatwise it's hardest MegaTen I've played, and I played them all (except the original SMT 1 & 2).

2) Tokyo map is less annoying in Apocalypse

3) Demons now have skill affinities in Apocalypse. Affinities affect how effective and MP consuming they are. A demon with negative healing affinities will be a shit healer, for example.

4) Save for some demons, this is still true, as it has been for all SMTs, except maybe in Strange Journey.

5) Well, I highly doubt you'd enjoy the final dungeon in Apocalypse if you think the Monochrome Forest was bad. That place is huge if you don't know where to go.

miles teg

Scholar
ok I put SJ redux on my whishlist and going to skip Apocalypse.

now that this is settled, I'm trying to decide if I should play Bravely Default or not. It seems a food FF like game, but I'm reading bad things about the amount of grinding required...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom