Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me 3DS (or DS) RPGs

Doktor Best

Arcane
I finally got around buying a 3DS and now i need recommendations. Genre-hybrids are also welcome. Already bought Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold and Zelda Link Between Worlds.

On my definitive to buy list are: Elminage Original, Fire Emblem Awakening and Conquest, the other Etrian games, Monster Hunter 4, Shin Megami Tensei 4

I am mainly looking for challenge. Not too interested in plotlines unless they are really interesting (the genre allstars, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 were okayish but far from overwhelming in my book)

I am also highly interested in The Dark Spire, but that goddamn game is only available on second hand market for blasphemic prices (80€ or more). Is there any way to get a copy for a reasonable price without using a custom firmware?

newtmonkey

Arcane
SMT: Strange Journey Redux? (if you haven't already played the DS version) (once it comes out).

Elminage Original is indeed great, that will give you many hours of fun and challenge.

Bravely Default might be worth looking into, it feels like playing a good (pre-PSX style) Final Fantasy game. I guess it can be difficult, but not to the extent of a SMT or Elminage game.

Don Peste

Arcane
Orcs & Elves
orcs_1195611733.jpg

Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
1076233-fighting_fantasy_the_warlock_of_firetop_mountain_nintendo_ds_003.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You may skip SMT4 but the sequel, SMT4 Apocalypse, is a must. My favorite SMT game in the series.

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 is pretty much my favorite one in the series but EO4 & 5 are good and EOU is OK.

Persona Q is a mashup of Etrian Odyssey and Persona. It's pretty cool.

The Legend of Legacy is an RPG made by the doods responsible for the well known (in Japan) RPG series, SaGa. I didn't like this game very much because the combat was unnecessarily tedious and slow due to one of the biggest gimmicks in its combat system that wasn't really well thought out, and there was a lot of fighting so it wasn't avoidable either. I'd still recommend taking a look since it's quite a unique game with positive aspects. There is, however, a new game coming out by the same devs called The Alliance Alive. Keep an eye out for that as well.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Get the devil survivor games in spite of their weeboism. They're a cool hybrid of tactical game with the feel of a blobber (not the real time aspect, the less definable 'phase based team attack' party combat feeling). And demon pokemon, lets not forget that.

Of course, if you don't need rpgs, there are several other titles. I recommend ghost trick as usual.

Oh and Radiant Historia is a good story-fag/puzzle rpg. Combat is *not* challenging - it's always a question of knocking back enemies onto the same 'square' and beating them up, single tactic needed (almost) forever (there are one or two special challenges but that's it). But then again, more than 95% of rpg combat is not challenging.
Story-wise, Radiant Historia is basically a attempt at a non-entirely derivative Chrono Trigger, but they made it more accessible (ie: they give a map of the branches and you can go back to a branch) so you basically see everything on a single play so it's not as well regarded by C&C autists.

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
The FF4 DS remake is pretty good, probably the most challenging of the classic FFs too. Just bought Etrian Odyssey V and am about to play it for the first time, so can't vouch for it yet, but this series so far has been a no-brainer, and they introduced new playable races, so that's cool.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Etrian Odyssey IV is still good, and on the same eShop it is currently on a constant 10$ price, which is a steal. I dunno if it ever goes on sale from that price though.

Honestly, try either of the 3DS EOs through the demo. Many 3DS demos, particularly for RPGs, save your progress for when you later want to play in the full version. The EO4 demo has only 3 "uses", as in, you can only turn the game on 3 times, but the EO4 demo also lets you play like 8 hours of gameplay, which is nuts; save the demo for some particularly comfy weekend day where you can have a long session so that you can maximize your time with it in case you end up being hooked. And, it bears repeating that your demo progress for EO will translate to the full version once you decide to get it.

I am also highly interested in The Dark Spire
Yeah, DS games are out of print I think, which means tracking one down is hard, especially if you're like me and you live in a Nintendo-unfriendly region (which is, pretty much, the entirety of Europe). I'd be itching to play FF4 DS, but the price that resellers ask for those games is astronomic.

Also, seconding Devil Survivor for all aforementioned reasons, and it's also a good game for nice, if mild, choice & consequence; a big allure to SMT is generally its multiple endings that are easier or harder to unlock depending on your actions, and the endings all follow the cosmic theme of Law, Neutral and Chaos (and they are all usually pretty dark and not ideal for everyone involved), sparking a lot of debate about which is the best alignment overall in SMT. DeSu has some fantastic endings and moments where you have to make certain big, careful decisions, and the ending isn't of the "press one of the four buttons with four different endings" variety. Plus it has an extensive NG+ with a legendary broken as shit secret boss against whom you can flex your munchkin muscles and it's also one of the cheaper games in the series. Generally, a fucking win. DeSu1 is definitely less weeabooish than 2, if you care for that; I'd say DeSu1 is for many reasons pretty down-to-earth, aside from typical trappings like "highschoolers with a destiny" and, well, about the fact that the entire game is about your protags carrying 3DSes that can summon demons.

Last edited:
If you want a brief break from challenge, Crimson Shroud is an interesting experiment and not too long (albeit potentially grindy after a strong non-grindy start).

In a similar vein are the Bravely Default 1 and 2 demos. They are self-contained mini-adventures that aren't part of the main story of any of the games, and are a fine representation of the full BD experience without overstaying their welcome.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some games I'd recommend.

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Radiant Historia, Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance 2, Devil Survivor 1 & 2, 7th Dragon III Code: VFD, Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past, Crimson Shroud.

80s Stallone

Arcane
I am also highly interested in The Dark Spire, but that goddamn game is only available on second hand market for blasphemic prices (80€ or more). Is there any way to get a copy for a reasonable price without using a custom firmware?

Where are you from?

Doktor Best

Arcane

Where are you from?

Germany. Ebay lists Dark Spire copies mostly from the USA. I dont get why they just put all those games up in the Eshop. Shouldnt take that much off an effort.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Germany. Ebay lists Dark Spire copies mostly from the USA. I dont get why they just put all those games up in the Eshop. Shouldnt take that much off an effort.

What would you pay?

Uhm, dont know, maybe 20-25 bucks? Im not really a collector and wouldnt pay more than that for an old game. If you have a copy you should probably sell it to one on ebay for way more.

80s Stallone

Arcane
Uhm, dont know, maybe 20-25 bucks? Im not really a collector and wouldnt pay more than that for an old game. If you have a copy you should probably sell it to one on ebay for way more.

Well, then I am going to keep it. Just wanted to be nice and 50€. :hug:

lightbane

Arcane
You may skip SMT4 but the sequel, SMT4 Apocalypse, is a must. My favorite SMT game in the series.

Is SMT4 that bad compared to Strange Journey? Is it really necesary to play to understand the plot of Apocalyse?

Anyway, most of the usual titles have been mentioned, I would add SAGA 2 and 3 (if you can find a working translation of the latter), Ni No Kuni (the DS version, which had superior turn-based combat, plot, and graphics compared to the PS3 release, although good luck finding a translation other than the Spanish one) and, lastly but not least, a game which will test your resolve as a Codexer, a game that might make you consider your value as a person due how significant to play it can be perceived, a game that many will likely see too shameful to be seen playing with.

I'm talking about a game known as...

Pokemon. Please don't kill me. :oops:

Say what you want, but from Gen VI and the latest releases (Sun and Moon and the expansions) the mechanics have grown deep enough to have fun and challenguing combat, with a very complex party setup where you must be aware of your party members' abilities and stats to win against constantly increasing odds.
The latest games make trading, selective breeding and battling competitively actually fun instead of forcing you to use cheats or autistically control everything to ensure optimal min-maxing (although you can still do that if you want). :)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is SMT4 that bad compared to Strange Journey? Is it really necesary to play to understand the plot of Apocalyse?

It's not a bad game, but it's really easy once you get to Tokyo. It's not necessary to play SMT4 to get the plot of Apocalypse, but Apocalypse does provide notes with plot highlights from SMT4 if you want to get the full lore of Akira and Masakado. Apocalypse doesn't happen after SMT4, it happens during SMT4 after Flynn (the main character in SMT4) picks the Neutral route.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Well, then I am going to keep it. Just wanted to be nice and 50€. :hug:

Nah its okay. I wouldnt want to take something underpriced from someone who either wants to keep it or could sell it for much more.

Also, since i found out today that Nintendardo does not sell Elminage Original on the european Eshop, i am currently tending towards buying a flashcard as they seem to be easy to use and not very dangerous if i dont play online with flashed games. Is that correct or am i missing something?

If yes, which one is the best and where do i find a trustworthy onlineshop that ships to Germany?

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You get a good plot summary at the begin of apocalypse, it's designed to be able to get into easilywithout having played SMT4. Apocalypse is probably the best game mechanically in the whole series. If you are a SMT fan this is your game, if you are new to the series, the same, because despite all its depth it is more friendly with new players and more convenient.

For me overall Nocturne is the best game in the series. But it's more a survival dungeon crawler. Less demons and features, but better in atmosphere and dungeon design.

SMT4 apocalypse is for SMT junkies wanting to powergame, max-min and play with a more refined system. But at the same time great to introduce new players.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, this is what I've played so far. I wouldn't really recommend spend good money on any of these games though (maybe 10$ as much), but well I'll just leave a brief comment and judge yourself.

Dragon Quest VII remake:
A prettier port, the same game with less grindy features. Monster classes are quirky and have fun abilities, yet unnecessary to invest time on since the game is so damn easy, so you can do well with only the boring-ass human classes. Never had a single battle that challenged my blobby crew of guys with monster classes.

Fire emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia: I also beat fates conquest and awakening. And I think shadow of valentia offers a superior experience although is a bit easier in comparison, despite of yielding a fair challenge for anyone. Overall It's more simple, but sometimes less is more . There are fewer classes and weapons don't wear out, also the romantic and emotional engagements were drastically toned down. The third person dungeon exploration is a bit amusing too.

SMT IV: To put it mildly, I think the last main Megaten released is lukewarm at best. Devs butchered several cool things we saw in Nocturne: There are not moon-like phases, nor cursed fusion paths, physical skills require mana instead of HP, you can't use your demons for social purposes, fused demons don't inherit bonus stats and growth... And I can go on but I guess u already have the idea. Moreover, dungeons are freaking boring and a pain in the ass to navigate through, I dunno how those guys from Atlus got away with doing dungeon designs so bad such as these. Narrative is meh, atmosphere seems interesting at first but ended up as shallow as everything else.

If u are only here for the sake of a challenge, look no further, this game is not harder than Nocturne; but is also not fond of handholding either. So rest assured to gladly expect that SMT IV will deliver ur ass handed to you without issues if you think u can steamroll across the entire playthrough by using a team composition worthy of someone with serious brain damage (No weakness coverage, no emergency measures, not well though defensive/offensive rotations, no sustain etc.).

SMT IV Apocalypse: Haven't beaten it yet, only stuff I liked is that now demons have skill affinities (i.e. some demons hits harder and spend less mana casting fire spells, others with ice, wind or heal more with dia spells etc.), mudo/hama skills do damage and only one shot when smirking, and now u have more control over the smirk mechanics too... nice

But, I left the game standby after beating frost king in fairy forest. Sorry dudes, but I couldn't stand: the annoying ghost jade dagger minigame thing, the teeny childhood friend who has the hots for Nanashi that keeps yabbling obvious stuffs without realizing we just saw the very scene alongside her, that dagba guy goin' through his edgy phase, the over descriptive text like It was directly copy pasted from the script without taking into account the information input given by scenery and sounds. But above all that, the excessive beelining of story progression, I know SMT IV was like that too, but crap, It went overboard with it. I'll give it another try later, hope it'll get better.

Devil Survivor 1 & 2: well, after playing more than 60 hours:negative: each and got bored enough to write a thread this long about them. And what I have to say, well, Don't get deceived by Its Jrpg tactics facade, these two are just a pair of bland visual novels.

The strategy value pretty much revolves around powerleveling until you or anyone of you team deal min three digit number damage on ur foes. And nope, there's not middle point, either you grind ur ass off until become OP for current challenge or u face demise by current boss own cheap tactics. And about those tactics, It only varies on which skill they will spam galore without retaliation: phys, fire, ice, curse, poison, wind, shock?. Doesn't matter, you just have to wear the proper immunity and blow up on them multi strikes or holy dances.

Storywise? I admit the first one have some interesting things goin' on across the plot. But the second one? Jesus christos men, what a retarded and corny story It has! the premise is not that bad tho'.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom