Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reccomend me a mech/ship customization game

CrimHead

Scholar
I really like the Armored Core and Mechwarrior series because of all the possible customization options and how much replayability this affords. Unfortunately, I'm not that up to date or knowledgeable on sim games. Basically I'm looking for something that has tons of options for designing shit and is relatively realistic because this is somehow fun to me I guess I'm a gigantic faggot and might as well be playing with legos.

Ruprekt

Scholar
http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

GSB ships are basically empty hulls, that come with a fixed hull cost and some basic power production and possibly a few bonuses. Those hulls have a fixed number of slots which you fill with modules of your choosing. All the modules have different capabilities, and you might choose to design some heavily armored anti-missile ships, or a number of highly-powered and shielded ships with a few big beam lasers, or anything you like. Different weapons are effective in different situations, so you will need to design a balanced fleet. there are very few restrictions. You have to balance power, cost, crew requirements and weight, but you can build a ship with no weapons and all engines if you wanted to for some reason. Apart from turrets (which get drawn and animated on the ships) your ship layout will not affect the ships appearance.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gratuitous space battles

210n0wj.jpg

gratspacebat7.jpg

[edit]

Curses, ninjaed by Ruprekt

Tails

Arbiter
GearHead Roguelike if you can stand ASCII, though there is a SDL version wtih Iso-2D graphs, you can basically do anything with your mecha/vehicle/plane.

Destroid

Arcane
Unfortunately, GSB is a cinematic game.

I guess on the upside, space ship customisation is basically the entire gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There's Nexus: The jupiter incident. Although the customization is mostly picking weapon loadouts.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Cyberstorm is a nice TBS where your units are all customizable mechs. You get full resell price on all the parts so you're basically expected to refit your army to suit any mission you have trouble with. Pretty cool. Someone did a LP of it here before.

MisterStone

Arcane
Autoduel, released in 1983 (?) by Origin. You customize cars (weapons, armor, engine, etc.) and drive them around, shooting the fuck out of other cars.

:smug:

kanenas

Educated
Carrier Command
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9sZUv23yM

aged and fairly unplayable nowadays

not many customization options but it has a lot of attack/defensive options

it was the pinnacle of 80's realistic simulationism

and it was the first time i saw drag and drop and icon based mouse gameplay in a game

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
I got a brand new copy of warship gunner 2 at my gamestop a couple months back for 10 bucks. fuck yeah

best fucking game ever made goty all years

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
How does the combat of GSB compare to Sword of the Stars? It looks kinda similar, but a little more hollow at the same time even.

made

Arcane
Try this if you like playing dress-up with spaceships; it's all the game is good for:

876311194932.jpg

Destroid

Arcane
Dirk Diggler said:
How does the combat of GSB compare to Sword of the Stars? It looks kinda similar, but a little more hollow at the same time even.

Not even the same genre, the only thing in common is space ships.

What you do is each mission you have a certain number of points with which to build your fleet. You then do so, assign each shit/group of shits an AI script from a list (don't know if you can customise these) deploy them and hit play.

You can watch or not, but I guess watching is important for making adjustments so you can win.

Ruprekt

Scholar
You might enjoy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek: ... res_at_War

You don't design ships in this game but there are a huge number of ship types and the battles play out based on how you manage their weapon types, systems and energy etc.

You lay mines, balance shields, move energy between systems (engines, weapons, shields, ecm), use transporters for boarding operations, tractor beams, you can use shuttles for wild weasle or other stuffs and the second game adds carriers and fighters.

It's cool (great music especially). I played this game religiously when it came out in 2001.

261897.jpeg

261889.jpeg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dirk Diggler said:

GSB is.... Rather Meh. Essentially you give your ships very basic orders and lean back to watch the fireworks. The only reason I brought it up was because OP asked specifically for a ship customization game. And customizing ships is all you do in GSB

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I found GSB to be one of the few strategy games that are actually all about strategy. This is because there is no micro at all, it's all about customising your fleet, positioning it and giving some guidelines.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's also carnage hearts. You design mechs and ai programs for them to use in a simple turn based strategy mode. (Basically you pick where to send the troops and what models to build, and the battles play out themselves in all their horrible chunky graphics.) In between missions you get to spend cash on researching various new parts to use when designing shit. Really deep.

Your first ten AI builds will probably run to the nearest corner and start humping it while firing missiles at nothing though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom