Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rebecca Heineman's Dragons of the Rip (formerly Dragon Wars 2)

Renevent

Cipher
Remember that other game Olde Skuul were supposed to be working on? http://store.steampowered.com/app/200150/

Last update was shortly after Bard's Tale IV was announced (and subsequently, "Dragon Wars 2"). Maybe Herve denied them the use of Dragon Wars when he realized they were never going to finish Battle Chess?

EDIT: http://steamcommunity.com/app/200150/discussions/0/530646080852129940/ :lol:

People should just get Regicide anyways.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
O06D5ui.png

Concept sketch for a character in Shredded Worlds: Dragons of the Rip.

https://www.facebook.com/1617080278...1073741825.1617080278578517/1639250463028165/

This is not a work of Jennell Jaquays.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
4th episode of Burgertime, featuring Bard's Tale:

00:00 History of Bard's Tale series from the perspective of Heineman
10:03 Development of Bard's Tale III
15:00 Showing off prototype of the first game's manual
15:40 Development of Dragon Wars
20:17 Diversity in BT III and DW
24:40 Stonekeep and unfulfilled dream of Dragon Wars 2
28:06 On EA's canceled 1991 Bard's Tale IV
29:26 EA BT IV's graphics and music. Looks like she (and Jaquays) has a lot of assets for the game
31:50 1998 Bard's Tale IV pitch by Rebecca Heineman.
32:50 She show off a thick binder of documents for EA BT IV. Denounce; it was not true Bard's Tale game, like 2004 Bard's Tale was.
35:24 On Dragons of the Rip. They are working with Ken St. Andre.
37:20 On Bard's Tale trilogy remaster. (She say they're barley paid for this work.) Looks like she has some troubles with import feature. She will try to add the feature, but can't promise.
46:06 Q&A
52:29 On DotR; classless and skill based. Can assign who is your leader and who is sidekick, base how you play the game. Skills for each type of musical instrument (string, drum, hone...)
54:45 Ongoing Q&A; She really hated death snares in Cranford's BT
1:00:43 BT trilogy remaster; She is hoping to have alpha version in few weeks
1:01:46 Ongoing Q&A

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wall of text from MICHAEL CRANFORD on the inXile forums: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11804&start=20#p156735

I just happened to stumble on this thread today, googling myself. Lol.

I had dinner with Brian a few weeks ago, and I've had a positive relationship with him for a long time now. Brian's a great guy. As noted above, I did an interview with him at the party at the conclusion of the kickstarter campaign. I don't think I am going to be involved in BT4 though I was offered the chance to contribute some content. I work for a global engineering firm doing application development, and along with a couple writing projects I have in the works, I don't have flexibility to do much else. The idea of working on a project like BT4 otherwise sounds like a blast, and while I haven't made my living in the gaming industry, I am a lifelong gamer and I have done some coding for the Unreal engine. I have more ideas for game design and content now than I ever did at age 22.

As a side note, per the MMORPG comment, let me clarify what I said in an old interview. If I were developing something along those lines, I would appeal to the broadest possible audience, as a business decision. I would also include mature and hardmode content, and would likely weight it in favor of that. That's my personal preference in MMORPGs (I played hardmodes, back when I had time to do such things). I don't see these as mutually exclusive ideas, for that scale of a project. I wouldn't envision BT4 as an MMORPG, no way. It would dumb it down and rip the soul out of it.

Talking about the events surrounding business dealings and a disconnect between two guys in their early 20s seems a little silly. From the viewpoint of 52, me at 22 is a bit of a puzzle. But as I have said in interviews, Brian was doing what he thought he agreed to with our original agreement. He is a good businessman, and business is business. It may be entirely my fault that things went wrong. If it was, it wouldn't surprise me. I used to have difficulty separating business from personal, and there was a lot of emotion in that for me; I felt more deeply connected to that game than any project I've done since. I apologized to him about 20 years ago for any misunderstanding or bad feelings I caused. The attorney who represented me in the negotiation was a strange guy, Brian will remember, and misled me to assume the worst. It took me years to realize that, and that triggered the apology.

I wasn't aware of this "hostage" story until I was asked about it in that interview a number of years ago. My memory of this is vague. But I have, on a number of occasions over the years, withheld final delivery of code or executables until I received what I was owed by a client. A couple never paid, and never got the final work product. I guess those clients might refer to that as holding hostage, I don't know. It's just how you choose to look at it. One (who did eventually pay) was really offended, but I wasn't sure they would pay otherwise. You can take Heinemann's disparaging slant on this for what it is. I am a good guy and wouldn't do anything underhanded. That's not how I approach life. If I withheld source code until the agreement was signed, I did it because I believed I was owed something specific and was worried. In the end, there was a compromise. Obviously there should have been something in writing from the beginning. So it was at worst a misunderstanding, and I undoubtedly handled it wrong. Add that to a long list.

I've read Bill's musings, in more recent years, and I can tell you that a lot of what he says about BT1 and BT2 is fictional. He was an outsider on the process of development and he was so extremely socially disconnected he couldn't have tracked much; I have to wonder if he's got Asperger's, looking back. No disrespect to the guy (and by guy I mean, genetically), I liked him back then, he made me laugh, but he's a storyteller with an agenda, and that was a long time ago. He sat isolated in a cubicle in the back corner of the room. He and I never spoke about anything significant relating to the development or design of the game from the beginning through completion of BT2.

Maybe I'll wander around the forums more. If Burger has posted anything outrageous, point me to it and I'll respond.

Thanks to the one post for the reference to my personal site; if you happen to have an interest in such things spiritual, please find the FB page and like it. If not, send your curses my way, the Lucklaran buff is up. Humming it right now.

I hope BT4 is a massive success and Brian knows I'm happy to do PR in support. I know Brian will take this in the right direction, BT means as much to him as it does to me. Thumbs up for more celebratory parties.

No disrespect to the guy (and by guy I mean, genetically)

:lol: Oh boy.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn, what a religious nut he is (Cranford that is).

"I need to mention that, for the first time ever this last week, something horrible happened to me that I could not control and did not deserve, and I felt joy, knowing that God would reveal himself even more powerfully."

:what:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Early 80s California was a special place. Charismatic jocks (Fargo), bible thumpers (Cranford), tranny nerds (Heineman) - all RPG geeks.

(I think Cranford was a bit of a jock too.)

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm starting to like Cranford more and more...
Cranford. Cranford never changes. Somehow i don't like him and i can smell assholes out of the crowd. While on the other hand i begin to like Mrs. Buerger more and more. And hopefully if BT 1-3 is released on GoG and Steam, Fargo directs at least 50% of the revenues towards the Dragons of the Rip development as an form of gratitude.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cranford. Cranford never changes. Somehow i don't like him and i can smell assholes out of the crowd. While on the other hand i begin to like Mrs. Buerger more and more. And hopefully if BT 1-3 is released on GoG and Steam, Fargo directs at least 50% of the revenues towards the Dragons of the Rip development as an form of gratitude.

EA still own all the rights to the BT1-BT3 games, Fargo has no control over the revenue from it...

:M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Nope, that's not true. They do "own all the rights" but he has the license to sell them and earn a profit. Much like how Herve was able to sell Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for years after Bethesda took the IP.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Cranford. Cranford never changes. Somehow i don't like him and i can smell assholes out of the crowd. While on the other hand i begin to like Mrs. Buerger more and more.

While I think Cranfords version of the events is more likely, I dislike both tbh. Both their behavior strikes me as childish and unprofessional. Becky shittalking Cranford constantly and trying to take more credit than she probably should have was bad style and it made seem Cranford the bigger man that he didn't feel the need to even respond to that. And now this:

Maybe I'll wander around the forums more. If Burger has posted anything outrageous, point me to it and I'll respond.

well, great. And Becky is so embittered and obsessed that she will almost certainly respond in return. I sense great drama incoming in the near future, brace yourselves.

Darkzone

Arcane
While I think Cranfords version of the events is more likely, I dislike both tbh. Both their behavior strikes me as childish and unprofessional. Becky shittalking Cranford constantly and trying to take more credit than she probably should have was bad style and it made seem Cranford the bigger man that he didn't feel the need to even respond to that. And now this:
well, great. And Becky is so embittered and obsessed that she will almost certainly respond in return. I sense great drama incoming in the near future, brace yourselves.
Yes you are correct that Becky acted childish and butthurt on many occasions, especially concerning the BT series. Becky has currently shitalked Cranford in three cases: bad programing skills, no balancing desire and BT2 hostage. Cranford on the other side states that Becky has done nothing for BT1-2, besides some 40llines of code for audio or graphic processing, which may be not that false but also not that true. If you listen to what she actually says, then it comes out that for the Apple II version she had to rework the code for BT1-2 and port it to C and therefore she knew exactly how it was made. That is also why she could pull of so fast BT3 and Dragon Wars. Even till this day she has the source for all the BTs and etc. At the beginning i thought also that she wants some credits that she does not deserve, but now i understand what she meant. She doesn't claim that she made BT1-2 and this would contradict her statement that Cranford kept the BT2 code hostage.
And also you are correct that both act childish and butthurt and that a drama seems to be unfolding in Fargo forum. But perhaps her work on BT1-3 and Dragons of the Rip is going to keep her in place. Who knows?
But why i begin to like her, is her meticulous archiving skills and her open source mentality, with her sharing tools ethics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh hey, she responded: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11804&p=157037#p157037

burgerbecky said:
When someone refers to a woman as "he", that's a sign of disrespect.

I am a she. Please, refer to me as she and only she. It's a sign of respect.

On dinner, I'd love to sit down, chat, and catch up on over 20 years of history on all parties involved. I have no grudge whatsoever.
icon_e_smile.gif

At this moment, the Bard's Tale Remastered, which all of you who pledged for BT4 will receive, is looking really, really great! I've actually shown some sneak peeks on my BurgerTime video podcast, and it won't be long now before you will once again run around in Skara Brae, killing 4 groups of 99 Bezerkers and pretty much every other living thing, just like old times! One funny thing, the code was so compatible, it's actually using the IIgs Character file and save games.
icon_razz.gif
So if you have those laying around, and copied them to your save game folder, they would work just fine.

If any of you are at PAX Prime, see you there!

Pretty relaxed, actually.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I never really played any of The Bard's Tale series (though I attempted III on the C64 after having just played Dragon Wars on that platform and I found it near impossibly hardcore and significantly less fun than DW so I ragequit after encountering the dungeon spinners and random encounters every 2-3 steps) but I may give it another go when Becky delivers it. I like the idea of her using the best art assets from different ports of different versions of all three games and the fact that she made sure the balancing issues in certain ports are rectified.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
People are actually taking Dragon Wars 2 seriously?

Becky's company wasn't even able to make new Battle Chess properly. The game is stuck in early access for over 1.5 year, and still has constant crashes with people demanding refunds. And this is fucking chess.

I'd be absolutely amazed if BT3 reedition isn't a complete clusterfuck as well, and as far as DW2 goes, well that's just simply isn't happening, ever.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
TalkShoe podcast interview with Heineman: http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-130336/TS-1005711.mp3

On Battle Chess remake:

- After it went on Steam Early Access, Interplay earned some money but Olde Skuul didn't get any of it. They couldn't finish the game without paying someone. But when you see comments and forums people blame Olde Skuul for it. So they're now trying to finish the game anyway just to untarnish their reputation.

On Descent trilogy remaster:

- They also couldn't get paid for it. They were talking with Interplay about doing a new Descent game, but then the other company came out of the blue and got the right.

Why they gave up "Drgons Wars 2" name:

- When Olde Skuul asked Interplay for the name they first gave the price and then upped the price and so on, so OS decided to go with the original IP.

eAlB0mT.jpg

On Dragons of the Rip:

- DotP has nothing to do with the lore of DW.
- Looks like they're settled with the first person dungeon crawler format.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom