Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rebecca Heineman's Dragons of the Rip (formerly Dragon Wars 2)

Alchemist

Arcane
A true 2D blobber would be awesome, to tide us over til Grimoire's release. :lol:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I hope that they will pitch a game with traditional charming 2D graphics. Do we know anything about this yet?
No, but I vaguely recall seeing a prototype video for the next game Becky was working on (?) after Dragon Wars (?) back in the day - a fake 3D third-person adventure RPG type game. I can't find it because searching for Dragon Wars 2 videos is getting me nowhere. It looked horrible, but the point is that it seems she also thought 3D was the next step. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Yes, I remember it. Looked whorrible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope that they will pitch a game with traditional charming 2D graphics. Do we know anything about this yet?
No, but I vaguely recall seeing a prototype video for the next game Becky was working on (?) after Dragon Wars (?) back in the day - a fake 3D third-person adventure RPG type game. I can't find it because searching for Dragon Wars 2 videos is getting me nowhere. It looked horrible, but the point is that it seems she also thought 3D was the next step. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Yes, I remember it. Looked whorrible.

You're talking about her Bard's Tale IV pitch from ~2000: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8813

Nothing to do with Dragon Wars. Since it was a pitch to EA I doubt they had even considered anything other than 3D.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really don't think a 15 year old tech demo meant for Electronic Arts is a good reason for feeling that

Darkzone

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
No, that was their push to EA. She confirmed it (although she allegedly doesn't remember them using that particular model for the protagonist...)

EA's BT4 was in a totally different era, in the early 90s.

Darkzone

Arcane
Not on the Ultima Codex. Du you remember where she confimed this? Perhaps Matt Chat?

Darkzone

Arcane
Rebecca: Sure. It's so long ago. I remember we made a castle and shadowing, and some concepts.
This video, I don't remember. Which is odd.

Ok in 1997-1998 she wanted to make an BT IV hack and slash. I think that after nearly 20 years we can forgive her the mistake.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wait a minute, I just noticed she mentioned "The Rip" there. Two years before this thread started. It wasn't a last minute ass-pull, then.

Darkzone

Arcane
Wait a minute, I just noticed she mentioned "The Rip" there. Two years before this thread started. It wasn't a last minute ass-pull, then.
Yes that seems so, perhaps it was the final push for her to do the Rip. And after Fargo was not interested to hire her for BT IV, she final said now or never.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jennell Jaquays said:
Well, I had hopes for the trip up the hilll to bear fruit. We went up to see a prototype for an unusual ergonomic approach to keyboards. It was ... interesting, and I'm glad that I was able to put hands on it without blowing money on the kickstarter for it. But it was definitely designed by guys (with small hands) for guys (with small hands). Apparently their target market doesn't have long fingernails ... or a need to use the space bar with either thumb, or a need to rest fingers on a convenient home row of keys. But the keys did light up. I liked that.

As far as the trip actually bearing fruit ... we bought some cherries at a grocery store and then walked home eating them. Fresh fruit and exercise. Win, win.

https://www.facebook.com/jennell.jaquays/posts/841549842603676

In other news, Becky has released the promised source code of Space Ace for II GS: https://github.com/Olde-Skuul/spaceaceiigs

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
900hrs of Clicker Heroes? 300hrs in the last two weeks? Compared to only 0.9hrs of LoG .. Oh christ, their KS pitch better be rock solid ..

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, looks like it. According to her Twitter, she was dating with her wife today while leaving the game open.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Burger Becky's Steam buddies with Studio Fawn, it's cruel but I laughed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Episode 2 of Burgertime, featuring DOOM 3DO.

00:00 How the unfortunate 3DO port of DOOM happened. It's an interesting story if you're into this sort of development history. You can read the short version here.
47:12 Interactions with Danielle Bunten Berry, John Carmack and fellow Interplay programmers (including Tim Cain) in the old days.
50:14 Her best ports (best: Out of This World for SNES and 3DO; close second: Ultima I for II GS, ports and original games of Bard's Tale trilogy. And she really wanted Wasteland and Bard's Tale 3 for II GS to see the light of the day.)
50:55 On 3DO devkit and debugger.
53:18 How much Bard's Tale 3 for II GS was developed then.
55:37 More on 3DO devkit.
56:15 She will release source code of other 3DO ports. Definitely: Wolfenstein 3D. Maybe if she get permissions: Battle Chess, Casper, Kingdom: The Far Reaches.
57:12 Painful story of Wolfenstein 3D 3DO and Interplay QA.

On the DotR Kickstarter, now they're aiming for early August.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Funniest moment during Becky's last BurgerTime youtube installment on Doom 3D0: the neophyte owner of the church-sponsored company that contracted Doom 3D0 ("The game SUCKED!" R. Heineman) had 50k copies made, anticipating lots & lots of revenue for the new company. Rebecca: "They're probably in a landfill somewhere right next to the Atari 2600 versions of E.T. & Raiders of the Lost Ark keeping them company."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom