Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rebecca Heineman's Dragons of the Rip (formerly Dragon Wars 2)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Btw, I think you might like the professional page of Jennell Jaquays: https://www.facebook.com/Jennell.Jaquays.Artist

vKOmHUa.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
Damn, I'll admit it would be AWESOME if someone combined Descent and a first person RPG - if this is their plan for Dragon Wars 2, it can't lose!!!

bender-laughing.gif

dtu16.jpg

I hope anybody who gets an idea like that again, is hit by a burning fuel truck crashing at 100 mph before he gets to open his yapping hole.

Damn, I'll admit it would be AWESOME if someone combined Descent and a first person RPG - if this is their plan for Dragon Wars 2, it can't lose!!!

bender-laughing.gif

dtu16.jpg

I hope anybody who gets an idea like that again, is hit by a burning fuel truck crashing at 100 mph before he gets to open his yapping hole.
Ahh, Descent to Undermountain! Game wasn't good in itself, but I had truly atrocious pirated version of it, so in addition to its faults, it bugged out like there's no tomorrow.

Also this would be a good reaction image.
KfI33Ws.jpg

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Why the change from Dragon Wars 2 to Dragons of the Rip?

Dragons of the Rip is our original IP we have been developing for several years now. This is the working title until we make formal announcements. :) Yes, there are dragons, lots of dragons...

http://ask.fm/burgerbecky/answer/128539270573

I wonder why your new project is no longer Dragon Wars 2 but Dragons of the Rip, which seems like an original IP. And if I can ask one more question: will DotP be grid-based or free movement?

Dragons of the Rip is the working title, until we make a formal announcement, things can and do change. On movement, we are prototyping several methods of play to ensure we make the right choice before committing to the development of all the final game levels and worlds.

http://ask.fm/burgerbecky/answer/128545225133

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you need to prototype to decide whether you want grid-based or free movement, you're doing it wrong

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Did you and Jennell played any computer RPGs that released past few years, like Wasteland 2, Divinity:OS, Pillars of Eternity and others? If so, what's you and Jennell's favorite?

I've played Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity. Wasteland 2 was okay, good but not great. Pillars of Eternity's world was a bit too dark for my tastes, I could see why they made it that way but it wasn't my cup of tea. Play mechanics were pretty good and both games kept my attention to the end. Jennell has been playing Darkest Dungeons.

http://ask.fm/burgerbecky/answer/128595954605

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
wow, that complaint about PoE being too dark, that's a new one

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PoE is a game where some of the earliest encounters are slaughtering feral children by the dozen.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PoE is a game where some of the earliest encounters are slaughtering feral children by the dozen.

Dick (as he's apparantly called by friends) already did that in some of the Ultima games.
Well, I didn't say it was new. Just pointing out there is some dark stuff going on in PoE. Sadly underexplored, but there.

I don't think anyone would call Ultima 8 a cheery game either.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It isn't, but the evil kids there are just a troll/easter egg, not part of the game's lore

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You murder children in Wasteland, but it's played for laughs. It's all about tone. :cool:

Atchodas

Augur

who else was shocked to find out that Wicht is actually hollowborn's that grew up ? and you kill like ton of them rofl

Tigranes

Arcane
Why the change from Dragon Wars 2 to Dragons of the Rip?

Dragons of the Rip is our original IP we have been developing for several years now. This is the working title until we make formal announcements. :) Yes, there are dragons, lots of dragons...

http://ask.fm/burgerbecky/answer/128539270573

I wonder why your new project is no longer Dragon Wars 2 but Dragons of the Rip, which seems like an original IP. And if I can ask one more question: will DotP be grid-based or free movement?

Dragons of the Rip is the working title, until we make a formal announcement, things can and do change. On movement, we are prototyping several methods of play to ensure we make the right choice before committing to the development of all the final game levels and worlds.

http://ask.fm/burgerbecky/answer/128545225133

After 6 months, still waiting until Codex realises how Herve-level retarded this project is

pippin

Ultima 7 started with a disemboweled corpse. Ultima 8 started with a beheading which you can't stop.
That is actually more than just "dark". And let's not forget U8 has you dealing with the devil.
There might be some good and bad stuff in between but even with such excessive examples, Ultima games managed to do "dark" right and not just 3edgy5me.

On the other hand, just say you weren't allowed to do anything with the Dragon Wars IP. It's not that hard.

tuluse

Arcane
Ultima 7 started with a disemboweled corpse. Ultima 8 started with a beheading which you can't stop.
That is actually more than just "dark". And let's not forget U8 has you dealing with the devil.
There might be some good and bad stuff in between but even with such excessive examples, Ultima games managed to do "dark" right and not just 3edgy5me.
Watching a thing is the not the same as doing a thing.

On the other hand, just say you weren't allowed to do anything with the Dragon Wars IP. It's not that hard.
If I were to guess it was when they announced Dragon Wars there was a ton of backlash against Herve and modern Interplay they weren't really expecting.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
dunno, I find most of the daily news more darker than anything in the game

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Info bits from GOG stream with Rebecca Heineman:

- Becky was talking with Interplay to use Dragon Wars IP, but eventually 'the deal didn't work out.' So they're going with their own original IP Dragons of the Rip.
- DotP will be formally announced during E3. Kickstarter will be launched at late June.
- DotP is using Unreal Engine 4.

- The game is currently in pre-production. Prototyping, concept arts and things.
- They're even experimenting with camera view. (First person view, 3/4 perspective, or hybrid.)

- No classes. Skill based system like DW.
- Based on skills party character's personality will be determined. When converse with NPCs dialogues will be spoken by most likely the person say that line.
- More C&C than DW1. Possibility to join the evil boss.

- You can create a party of 4 adventurers start with and can recruit up to 7.
- It's full 3D and gonna look really nice.

- Not planning mod tools yet.

- Basically there will be 3 different worlds. Each world have complete different settings in it. You'll explore different realm to realm.
- Stories and quests will be written by very famous authors. Jennell Jaquays, Maurine Y. Starkey...and they have very, very well-known game designer names. Cannot disclose yet.
- "You start off with one world. Once you defeat the bad guy of the world, you think the game is over, but in reality the game has just began. Because you've now open up a rip which takes you to nexus where you will find other rips to other worlds."
- Each world will be very different and will be written by different authors.
- They will add more worlds if they meet stretch goals.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom