Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebecca Heineman and Bard's Tale IV

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In a thread on the Wasteland 2 forums General Discussion board about Bard's Tale IV, an unexpected visitor arrives:

x41oanv.png

Asking Fargo to use the Bard's Tale trademark in a forum post. :lol:

Looks like she's working with Herve now! BTW, Roguey, Josh Sawyer likes their Facebook page.

(if you have no idea what this post is about, read this first: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-prototype-revealed-for-the-first-time.80896/)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't think he's seriously asking that on a forum post.. is he?

On March 17, 2008, she launched a webcomic called Sailor Ranko[6] based on her novels set in the Sailor Ranko universe created by Duncan Zillman and Kevin D. Hammel, based on characters from Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2. The art for the webcomic was done by Allison Decker while paneling and lettering was done by Joseph Fanning.

What the fuck :what:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those unfortunate 80s has-beens, working on games no one wants.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
as somebody who doesn't give a fuck about video game dev drama now and much less back then... why would there be any bad blood involved?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
as somebody who doesn't give a fuck about video game dev drama now and much less back then... why would there be any bad blood involved?

Check out Matt "Without Further Ado" Barton's interview with Heineman and Fargo, and the Codex' own interview with Cranford.
Being a nerd, my sympathies were originally for Geek Heineman, but after hearing the "evidence" I'm more inclined to believe Pretty Boy Fargo and Jock Cranford.

Repressed Homosexual
It's obvious he was a bitter wreck when the subject of Bard's Tale credits came up in the video interview. Obviously we're talking about a very unstable individual.

Alchemist

Arcane
I'd love to see a proper Bard's Tale revival, led by either Fargo or Heineman (or both, ideally). MMX has paved the way for the blobber renaissance!

inXile will be busy getting WL2 and Torment out the door for quite a while though.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Devil Whiskey seemed like a pretty good Bard's Tale IV replacement.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'd love to see a proper Bard's Tale revival, led by either Fargo or Heineman (or both, ideally). MMX has paved the way for the blobber renaissance!

I'd like to see Cranford back in business. He was the creative force behind Bard's Tale 1 and 2. Especially Bard's Tale 2 had some of the most viscious dungeons ever to map and survive. Bard's Tale 3 was Heineman's baby, but it suffered from bugs, weaker level design and an even weirder mix of real time and turn based than the prequels. OTOH Heineman did also make Dragon Wars, so (s)he managed to improve on Bard's Tale 3.

Alchemist

Arcane

I'd like to see Cranford back in business. He was the creative force behind Bard's Tale 1 and 2. Especially Bard's Tale 2 had some of the most viscious dungeons ever to map and survive. Bard's Tale 3 was Heineman's baby, but it suffered from bugs, weaker level design and an even weirder mix of real time and turn based than the prequels. OTOH Heineman did also make Dragon Wars, so (s)he managed to improve on Bard's Tale 3.
I agree having Cranford on board would be great, though he doesn't seem to be involved in game dev at the moment. Would be awesome if all three of them could put past drama behind them and work on a reboot.

And yeah, Dragon Wars was a pretty solid game in the Bard's Tale vein, from what I remember.

dragonbait

Augur
Do you want a remake of Battle Chess?

Firstly, a true Bard's Tale IV made in the style of the original trilogy would be superb. I would buy a true Bards' Tale IV in a heartbeat. I had absolutely no interest in that newer Bard's Tale remake thing that was released a few years ago.

Secondly, a remake to Battle Chess would be awesome! especially if further sequels would enter the holographic realms like Voxiebox
voxieboxchess-640x353.jpg

but in the style of Dejarik.

280px-Dejarik_Falcon.png

Repressed Homosexual
Wasn't that Battle Chess game complete and already made by another studio who went on Kickstarter? How come they are working on this now, are they doing grunt porting/coding work? I think Heineman already had another such studio though in the nineties. Is it a full-time arrangement for him? I saw he was working for the likes of Sony, Ubi Soft and Microsoft (he helped design Kinect).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Firstly, a true Bard's Tale IV made in the style of the original trilogy would be superb. I would buy a true Bards' Tale IV in a heartbeat. I had absolutely no interest in that newer Bard's Tale remake thing that was released a few years ago.
If anyone's doing "Bard's Tale IV" it's inXile and I doubt they'd make a phase-based blobber. If Olde Skuul tried I imagine it'd end up like SHAKER.

Secondly, a remake to Battle Chess would be awesome! especially if further sequels would enter the holographic realms like Voxiebox
It's an inherited project from another developer funded by Herve Cain. It's shovelware.

Repressed Homosexual
Wasn't that Battle Chess game complete and already made by another studio who went on Kickstarter?

That Kickstarter failed.

I know but the Kickstarter said the game was already complete as far as the single player goes.

I still wonder what exactly they're doing, probably some ports (since it's Heineman's specialty).

dragonbait

Augur
Honestly I don't care what it's called...Bard's tale IV, Dragon Wars II, Devil Whiskey II,....if Burger Becky wants to make a true Bard's Tale Style game, then perhaps it is time to assemble a team of programmers and artists and create a new game in the style of the old Bard's Tale trilogy and call the game whatever she wants.

A user named cat

Honestly I don't care what it's called...Bard's tale IV, Dragon Wars II, Devil Whiskey II,....if Burger Becky wants to make a true Bard's Tale Style game, then perhaps it is time to assemble a team of programmers and artists and create a new game in the style of the old Bard's Tale trilogy and call the game whatever she wants.
Bird's Tale +M

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would fail as her/ his ( :roll: ) name isn't rockstar-geek enough and you'd end up with another Shacker/ Deathfire disaster. I just don't think that any KS "spiritual successor" to Bard's Tale will succeed without Fargo and co. I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly something he is planning if W2 and T:ToN are successful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom