Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Reapa's Chronological List of New and Released Possibly cRPGs

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Updated with Eador. Imperium
the importance of this update begs a few words. it's the first game of this kind in a very long period (years) with real potential to be good.
EDIT: turns out it's shit and people are better served if they play the old one for now.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
updated with Low Magic Age http://store.steampowered.com/app/576770/
it's early access but seems fully functional in arena mode. meaning you can really make your own party, fight battles, level up, fight more battles. just like battle brothers but without the crappy world map that only slows down your game.
EDIT: and it's fucking D&D :bounce: party based, turn based D&D :bounce:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
not gonna update with battle brothers yet because the morons released an alpha version after they were at beta stages in early access. :retarded:
they also seem to have cut contact with the codex which just makes it even more infuriating and seem very reluctant to discuss their own game in their own forum.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Updated with 60 Seconds!
and random gameplay videos for each entry for better browsing.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Updated with Everspace.

The game will fry you graphics card but also blow your mind. Not because there anything very new about it, but because it didn't screw up.
After all these years of remakes for the nostalgic that change so much they finally don't appeal to anyone, this game combines freelancer's gameplay with a few rogulike and roguelite elements without fucking up anything.
it has a story, crafting, resource management, roguelite character and ship progression, and stuff to unlock. it has 3 camera view modes so if you feel nostalgic about seeing the inside of your cockpit you can do that and if you just want to play freelancer again in a more deadly environment and with some new objectives the UI will not feel much different.
there is of course space for improvement especially in the content department. the game has 3 playable ships and 4 different fractions so more of any would definitely be welcome and i hope the devs don't stop delivering, but i wasn't expecting anything this good to ever be made again.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
updated with 2 computer board role playing games: D&D Lords of Waterdeep and Talisman: Digital Edition.
both have vs ai single player and online multi player modes.

Modron

Arcane
Kind of got some glaring omissions: The Tale of Wuxia games, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Expeditions Vikings and Conquistador, Witcher 3, and Exanima just to name a few off decent to good ones the top of my head. I think the Knights of Pen and Paper developers have released another game in that series Galaxy of Pen & Paper.

A shit ton of Jrpgs, not that I am complaining about said oversight in this case.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Kind of got some glaring omissions: The Tale of Wuxia games, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Expeditions Vikings and Conquistador, Witcher 3, and Exanima just to name a few off decent to good ones the top of my head. I think the Knights of Pen and Paper developers have released another game in that series Galaxy of Pen & Paper.

A shit ton of Jrpgs, not that I am complaining about said oversight in this case.
let me streamline your forum experience a bit by repeating part of the original post you should have read before posting in my thread with emphasis on the nature of the thread:

Since i drop in on the codex every once in a while in hope of finding something new to play and always end up searching the whole fucking forum cause no one seems capable of telling you whether any new RPGs have been released cause of the whole hype for the unreleased ones, i decided to take matters into my own hands and release this post upon the codex.
Mods, feel free to sticky and update the list in my absence. Newest games should always be at the top of the list. Please keep the list clean of jRPGs and aRPGs. Thank you!

now, with that out of the way:
The Tale of Wuxia is a fucking jRPG
Witcher 3 is a fucking aRPG
same goes for Exanima
conquistador is from 2013, not sure i wanna go too far back with the list or else it fails at what it's supposed to do. keep people informed on the newer RPGs they might have missed. i remember vikings being somewhat underwhelming but i may as well include it since most of the new shit is rather poorly done.

Warlock of Firetop Mountain:
Kickstarter backer here.
The devs (go to the forums they even confess about it) developed the game content complete, planning to cut content out, to sell it as DLC.
Then they posted as a kickstarter-backer-only info: "We heard that it is pretty unpopular to cut out content to sell it as DLC. Therefore we disguise this practice with a trick! We will cut out content and sell it half a year later. This way people will think, we developed this content post release! Ain´t we genius?!"

The thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/324740/discussions/0/343785380899768338/

Well devs... No. Actually. F#ck you. I posted this kickstarter-only-info in the steam forums public, The devs had no choice to confess, but they STILL sticked to their plan.

Therefore up to this point kickstarter backers did not receive the full content of the game, nor did anybody else, altough everything has been developed pre-release and is just held back to disguise how dirty those devs are.

game devs:
1) We talked to a lot of Steam game developers and we were advised NOT to launch a game with paid DLC as it would upset a lot of potential buyers of the game who felt they were not getting the whole game.

obviously the game is done but not done released. in my own experience there are actually grayed out characters in the game which kinda pissed me off. this kind of marketing scam is worse than todd howard releasing dlc that was already done by mods prior to bethesda. 2 reasons not to include it: half a game and shady devs.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
updated with Vaporum. sadly real time, single unit but grid based, steam punk story dungeon crawler. no crappy random stats on loot, no respawning enemies, level gated but otherwise solid character sheet (no crappy +5% dmg increases like in other games. looking at you DOS 2!)

Reapa

Doom Preacher
also updated with divinity: original sin 2. not because it's good, but because all other recent look-a-likes are much much worse.

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
Since you've got POE and both Original Sins on the list, you might as well add Shadowrun: Hong Kong. I think it's at least as worthy as Dragonfall. Those two didn't really appeal to me but I'm having more fun with the combat than any other "age of incline" rpg.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
updated with Shadowrun: Hong Kong. it's in the 2015 section. didn't follow the series so no surprise i missed it. it's party based and turn based, but something bores me about it. badly. i can't bring myself to even watch the video i posted. iirc you don't loot bodies or at least you can't loot weapons off of bodies because 'setting limitations'. i don't understand the need for the limitation nor the logic behind it and it makes for poor exploration and itemization. my impression is that it reduces the game to a string of missions with some fluff dialogue between them. feel free to correct me if my impressions are wrong.

gaussgunner

Arcane
That's about right. It's extremely linear for an rpg, unencumbered by itemization & crafting, pretty much stripped down to story & combat. That said, every move counts in combat, as do your stats. Encounters are well designed. Kinda like Jeff Vogel games with good graphics, and you can save during combat, which is nice because it can last for hours.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
updated with Shadowrun: Hong Kong. it's in the 2015 section. didn't follow the series so no surprise i missed it. it's party based and turn based, but something bores me about it. badly. i can't bring myself to even watch the video i posted. iirc you don't loot bodies or at least you can't loot weapons off of bodies because 'setting limitations'. i don't understand the need for the limitation nor the logic behind it and it makes for poor exploration and itemization. my impression is that it reduces the game to a string of missions with some fluff dialogue between them. feel free to correct me if my impressions are wrong.

The biggest problem about the new Shadowrun games (and I say this as someone who enjoyed them) is the limitations of the engine. The setting is awesome, but the engine... it's terrible. They originally made it to work on mobiles/tablets, and only with Hong Kong they upgraded the engine (that's why it's PC only), but it's still just an improved version of a limited engine.

The first game in the trilogy didn't even have persistent areas. You couldn't re-enter an area if you left it. They fixed that with Dragonfall, but the limitations of the engine are still noticeable in the later games.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That's about right. It's extremely linear for an rpg, unencumbered by itemization & crafting, pretty much stripped down to story & combat. That said, every move counts in combat, as do your stats. Encounters are well designed. Kinda like Jeff Vogel games with good graphics, and you can save during combat, which is nice because it can last for hours.
What parts are similar to Jeff Vogel games? A genuine question, since I have never played his games except for the demo for the first Avadon, and I enjoyed the Shadowrun games, and your post got me interested in trying the other Vogel's games..

Reapa

Doom Preacher
What parts are similar to Jeff Vogel games? A genuine question, since I have never played his games except for the demo for the first Avadon, and I enjoyed the Shadowrun games, and your post got me interested in trying the other Vogel's games..
play geneforge. it's good. then burn yourself out on geneforge 2, 3, 4, 5. see how far you make it. don't quote me on this, but the other games are basically also geneforge with an inferior story.

gaussgunner

Arcane
They both have glorious chess-like battles. Vogel's games aren't streamlined like the Shadowruns; they also have a lot of boring trash combat, grinding to level up until you can win the big battles, exploring every inch of the damn maps, solving puzzles... true classic CRPGs for better and worse.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
updated with Dungeons of Chaos. don't get fooled by the simple dex and str character creation menu. the game has a shit ton of spells + passive and active skills, full inventory micro management with pretty good itemization and turn based, grid based auto-battle or micro managed turn based, grid based battle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom