Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Reanimated: Eurogamer VTM:B retrospective profiles Brian Mitsoda and Wesp5

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines; VTMB Unofficial Patch

In a retrospective article posted today, Eurogamer remember Troika's swan song vampire RPG, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and profile lead writer Brian Mitsoda and modder Werner "Wesp5" Spahl, who has kept the game alive over the years with his famous unofficial patch. Here's the introduction:

On November 16, 2004, two games powered by the Source engine were released for the PC. The first was quickly heralded as a modern classic, leading to its creators becoming one of the most influential companies in the games industry. The second was largely ignored, resulting in the closure of its developer and the scattering of its designers to the winds.​

"It was dumped on the market at the worst possible time - most people didn't even know we were out," says Brian Mitsoda, the former lead writer on Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines "Both fans and the Troika devs are always going to wonder what the game could have been like with another six months."​

Bloodlines was sent out to die. An unfinished game released prematurely by its publishers Activision, it didn't stand a chance on the shelves, especially alongside the hotly anticipated Half Life 2. But the commercial death of Bloodlines wasn't the end for the game. Thanks to a German analytical chemist with a passion for fixing broken things, Bloodlines has received not six months of additional work, but nine full years.​

This is the story of two men who breathed life into the same game - one before it was born, the other after it died.​

It's a nice article. I wonder how Tessera feels about it.
    ^ Top  
  2. Diablo169 Erudite

Diablo169
    Seriously I want a time machine so I can travel back and give Troika as much development time and money as they would like for every game they made. Makes me so sad.
    ^ Top  
  3. LibertyRansom Learned

LibertyRansom
    I know! All their games were so great in different ways
    ^ Top  
  4. AstroZombie Prophet

AstroZombie
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Fuck Valve and Activision :(
    ^ Top  
  5. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Bloodlines is still awesome.

So unfair :(
    ^ Top  
  6. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    If I had to play a Troika game at this time, I would probably choose Bloodlines.
    ^ Top  
  7. Zero Credibility Augur

Zero Credibility
    It really shouldn't, but just thinking about it puts a smile on my face.

Anyway, what others have said - Bloodlines is awesome, fuck Activision and so on. If only Obsidian would take on making a (spiritual or true) sequel in the Masquerade setting... Oh well, a man can dream.
    ^ Top  
  8. boltrek Literate

boltrek
    Where is the article about Drog and Arcanum :decline:
    ^ Top  
  9. Serious_Business Magister

Serious_Business
    Masquerade was revived wasn't it? Needs a new game for sure. One can dream I guess
    ^ Top  
  10. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Not sure if White Wolf would want another company to make a Vampire game. They've merged with CCP (makers of EVE), and are making a WoD MMO. Having another company make a different game would most likely dilute their brand.
    ^ Top  
  11. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    It wouldn't really hurt considering the eternal vaporware state of the MMO. Would make some money with licensing and they certainly need it.
    ^ Top  
  12. UnknownBro Learned

UnknownBro
    VtM:B has a special place in my hardrive. :love:
    Great design but poor implementation like most of Troika's games (probably due to budget and Publisher restrictions). And Brian Mitsoda is a true BRO. :bro:
    ^ Top  
  13. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Activision gave Troika three years and they had to start over from scratch once because their first idea was beyond terrible. No amount of time or money can make up for perpetual mismanagement.
    ^ Top  
  14. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    While that's true, since the end result of VtM:B was actually kind of neat, I think it's clear it wasn't perpetual mismanagement. A 6 month delay with a content lock, ie just bug fixes could have done wonders for it. Also, according to Tim Cain it sold enough to be profitable for Activision despite the long development time.
    ^ Top  
  15. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Profitable means jack shit. There is only mega-profitable or we-hope-it's-mega-profitable-for-sequels. Everything else gets canned.
    ^ Top  
  16. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    The post Hollywood content likely would have been better, but I doubt it would have improved their bad core gameplay.
    ^ Top  
  17. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    It's certainly more romantic to blame those meddling publishers.
    ^ Top  
  18. Jedi Exile Learned

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity
    Bloodlines had 'bad core gameplay'? WTF I'm reading? Oh wait, this is Codex...
    ^ Top  
  19. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    It is p. bad. The shooting is mediocre, the melee combat is only tolerable because at least it isn't the shooting, and stealth is nearly cheating. The plot is on another level of awful, the C&C only has any significance for the ending and level design is p. forgettable. All in all rather constrained and linear for a VtM game with a poor implementation of the pnp systems.

Voice acting is unmatched though~

Still p. fun and worth playing 7 times. Better than the sum of its parts, etc
    ^ Top  
  20. boltrek Literate

boltrek
    It has cute girls though, I particularly liked the kawaii Japanese vampire slayer
    ^ Top  
  21. RK47 Oniichan Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    :lol: If you wanna defend the game, at least defend the right parts.
    ^ Top  
  22. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    As much as I want to replay this game the hack job sections that start around the Warrens dissuades me every time I consider it.
    ^ Top  
  23. Jedi Exile Learned

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity
    I am not an expert in game design, but as far as I understand, if core gameplay is bad this means that playing the game isn't fun, it's a chore. It was so in case of Alpha Protocol, for example. The game had some redeeming qualities, but actually playing it was very boring, even frustrating. In case of Bloodlines it wasn't so, except for the last part that was obviously rushed and just lacked content. I agree with Excidium that shooting and stealth weren't very good, but as 'the sum of its parts' Bloodlines was great. Even in its unfinished state.
    ^ Top  
  24. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Well, obviously, given how it's the only good Troika game :smug:
    ^ Top  
  25. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Her voice actor wasn't actually from Japan and mispronounces a lot of words. Ming Xiao was also voiced by a white woman. Yellowface bullshit.

None of the gameplay parts of Bloodlines are any good; in fact they are quite awful. It could work as a visual novel, which makes it a failure as a game.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)