Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Realms of Arkania: Shovelware Edition

likaq

Arcane
A legend reborn as Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny returns

2013-01-28 10:47

Developed by Austrian developer Crafty Games, Realms of Arkania – Blade of Destiny is a one-to-one remake of the 1992 original, adored by a generation of Role Players and one of the most successful German RPG’s of the 1990’s. Get ready to return to Thorwal, one of the oldest cities of Aventurien. Make sure your wits are sharpened before walking down the small alleys of Thorwal and Prem, and prepare to stop the Orcisch threat while creating a mighty alliance between nations. Featuring a complete visual reimagining along with a comprehensive overhaul of every aspect of the
gameplay, Realms of Arkania – Blade of Destiny is set to captivate a 21st century audience of new and old fans alike.

Something tells me this will have rtwp. :lol:

:keepmyjewgold:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This can only end up in tears. If they make the character creation less tedious hardcore then I might see myself replaying it. I know for some it's a big part of the experience, but I honestly don't have the time nor patience to spend a whole day rolling for decent stats. Can't be assed with RNG anymore, especially as penalizing as RoA's. Everything else can stay.
Of course they should have the vanilla RNG stat rolling in for those who want them, though.

likaq

Arcane
The German PR only talks about upgraded visuals and engine, while the gameplay remains untouched.
The quoted English PR says something different though.

We'll see.

From Rpgwatch forum.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This can only end up in tears. If they make the character creation less tedious hardcore then I might see myself replaying it. I know for some it's a big part of the experience, but I honestly don't have the time nor patience to spend a whole day rolling for decent stats. Can't be assed with RNG anymore, especially as penalizing as RoA's. Everything else can stay.
Of course they should have the vanilla RNG stat rolling in for those who want them, though.

Well, the orignal Blade of Destiny has a pre-generated party...

Gord

Arcane
German site golem.de has a few infos - they say it will have modern graphics, but stay mostly the same otherwise, mentioning 3D view in cities and top-down (iso?) view in combat.
No mention about overhauled gameplay there, but some rumors that people from Attic (probably including Guido Henkel?) are on the boat.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The only improvement RoA needs is 8 moving directions instead of 4. :x
The towns in the first two games sucked big time. Especially Blade of Destiny. That screenshot was pretty vague, but at least it wasn't a 1 to 1 remake of the town layout. Endless generic huts with guys with malformed heads calling you a Prem flounder-nose is not a good way to make a town. Or think about Lowangen. There was some cool stuff in the town, but it fucking blew to spend days searching for Dragan to ask him three questions (and if you didn't ask him about travel you were just stuck there forever). So I think there's a lot of stuff they could improve, but overall I'm just glad people remember this game from 2 decades ago and want to remake it. If it sucks, too bad.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Judging by the games UIG Entertainment has produced so far this remake will be the most horrible crap the world has ever seen. On the other hand - the RoA-Trilogy was some kind of a simulation as well, so we'll wait and see. But my "THIS HAS TO BE SHIT BECAUSE IT'S NEW!" mode has already been activated M:

adure

Liturgist
next gen as fuck!
nordland.jpg

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Wow! Looks amazing!

BUT why a remake? Why not do RoA 4, 5 and 6?

And which ruleset will be used? Same outdated one as used in RoA, or the new 4th edition of The Dark Eye as used in the last 2 RTwP games released in 2009/11

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Screenshot looks like Oblivion. In terms of exploration view they should just stick to 4 direction step engine.

Especially if it's a straight remake there is nothing to gain from 3D, there was nothing to interact with in the environment except walking into shops. Exploration view is supposed to be an abstraction not realistic, if they go 3D they will also need to change how encounters work (since I expect you'd see monsters/brigands in the distance and could avoid them/set up an ambush).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom