Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Realms of Arkania HD Remake Announced

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Crafty Studios; Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (Remake)

RPGWatch reports that we may soon see an HD remake of Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, courtesy of Attic, publisher UIG and the Austrian developer Crafty Games. Here's the press release:

A legend reborn as Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny returns
2013-01-28 10:47

Developed by Austrian developer Crafty Games, Realms of Arkania – Blade of Destiny is a one-to-one remake of the 1992 original, adored by a generation of Role Players and one of the most successful German RPG’s of the 1990’s. Get ready to return to Thorwal, one of the oldest cities of Aventurien. Make sure your wits are sharpened before walking down the small alleys of Thorwal and Prem, and prepare to stop the Orcisch threat while creating a mighty alliance between nations. Featuring a complete visual reimagining along with a comprehensive overhaul of every aspect of the gameplay, Realms of Arkania – Blade of Destiny is set to captivate a 21st century audience of new and old fans alike.​

Apparently they also intend to remake the other two games in the trilogy. I don't really care for remakes, but maybe it's a good thing provided it helps introduce RoA to the new generation of gamers - and doesn't butcher the original game in the process.

Also, the German press release can be found here, and here you can see the first work-in-progress screenshot of the remake.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just googled the publisher, here's the source: http://www.uieg.de/index.php/en_pre...alms-of-arkania-blade-of-destiny-returns.html

EDIT: The german press release is quite bigger:

DAS SCHWARZE AUGE - UIG Entertainment und attic inszenieren die Nordlandtrilogie neu

2013-01-28 10:42
„Thorwal, Stadt der Freien. Eine der ältesten Städte Aventuriens. Bewohnt von unbeugsamen Kriegern und Seefahrern, reich an Schätzen aus vielen Raubzügen...“ Die Einleitung der „Schicksalsklinge“ hat sich in die Herzen einer ganzen
Rollenspielergeneration gebrannt und weckt immer noch sehnsüchtige Erinnerungen an die Nordlandtrilogie, den erfolgreichsten deutschen Rollenspielklassiker der 90er. Wer träumt nicht davon, erneut durch die engen Gassen von Thorwal und Prem zu streifen, der orkischen Bedrohung Einhalt zu gebieten und ein undenkbares Bündnis zwischen den Völkern zu schmieden?

Die Zwölfe sind uns gnädig! UIG Entertainment kündigt den internationalen Vertrieb von „Das Schwarze Auge – Nordlandtrilogie“ an und kleidet den Klassiker in neue, zeitgemäße Grafik und Technologie während der Charme der damaligen Handlung und ihrer Charaktere, die Einzigartigkeit und das Spielgefühl des DSA Regelwerks erhalten bleiben. Ein handverlesenes Team aus erfahrenen deutschsprachigen RPG Entwicklern und Autoren arbeitet in diesem Moment an einem epischen DSA Abenteuer für alle Fans der Nordlandtrilogie, alle DSA Spieler und natürlich auch für alle DSA-Neueinsteiger.

Wenn der Namenlose nicht unsere Wege kreuzt und uns die Zwölfe weiterhin wohl gesonnen sind, könnte das Licht Praios bereits im zweiten Quartal 2013 segnend und geleitend auf Eure Häupter scheinen - natürlich nur wenn ihr ihm gefällige Helden ins Feld führt, bei Hexen und so manchem Druiden ist Vorsicht geboten...

Gehabt Euch wohl junge Abenteurer!

This will of course end well and will in no way be an example of popamole in action.

It would be good for them not to make it like you said, because the only people excited by this, are fans of the originals and they won't take kindly to popamole. You think next gen kids give a shit about RoA? This isn't Bioware's Baldur's Gate EE. :lol:

I'm cautiously optimistic. Want to see more details about their intentions of a "HD remake".

Is it me, or just as the Hollywood film industry remakes movies that don't need to be remade, and spews out sequels, gaming industry copied all that negative trends without an ounce of good new ideas and creativity? Remake, sequel, remake, sequel... I guess if the start remaking these old gems, and manage to interest some of the new kids, maybe some publishers will see there is some money to making these kind of games, and we'll start seeing them more form medium and small developers, so that can't be all bad.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Can someone translate the german release? The guys at the Watch said that the info was differenct on eng/ger releases...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This will of course end well and will in no way be an example of popamole in action.

It would be good for them not to make it like you said, because the only people excited by this, are fans of the originals and they won't take kindly to popamole. You think next gen kids give a shit about RoA? This isn't Bioware's Baldur's Gate EE. :lol:

But why would these people want a remake? The game runs just fine.

Can someone translate the german release? The guys at the Watch said that the info was differenct on eng/ger releases...
There's no new info in there, just a bit of in character LARPing.

But why would these people want a remake? The game runs just fine.

That's why I said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. Want to see more details about their intentions of a "HD remake".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Featuring a complete visual reimagining along with a comprehensive overhaul of every aspect of the gameplay, Realms of Arkania – Blade of Destiny is set to captivate a 21st century audience of new and old fans alike.
:thumbsup:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Don't feel like translating the whole thing, but it speaks of the entire trilogy whereas the English press release only talks about Blade of Destiny.

Essegi

Cipher
Oh!!! ROA is one of the (many) oldies that i missed and maybe the one that i want to play more badly...
But "overhauled" gameplay make me thing i'll play old ones.
Anyway quite interesting stuff!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the point of "overhauling the gameplay" of a series which is iconic precisely because of its gameplay and not much else?

I mean, seriously, not even Trent fucked with BG's actual gameplay mechanics. I can't believe they would change it.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Featuring a complete visual reimagining along with a comprehensive overhaul of every aspect of the gameplay, Realms of Arkania – Blade of Destiny is set to captivate a 21st century audience of new and old fans alike.

For what it's worth, the German press release only mentions "new, contemporary graphics and technology."

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

:rage:

We all know what that means... :roll:

Not necessarily. I, for one, would welcome some common sense solutions, like NPCs giving the blasted directions (Go to City X for a map piece. Oh you don't know where city X is? Have fun going blindly around "exploring"). The bajillion skills there are could also prove to be useful - as opposed to only selected few.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meh. I was hoping for a remake that would keep the original game intact and would solely restrict itself to deliver high-res version of the original graphics. The work in progess screenshot looks like shit though and the "complete overhaul of every gameplay aspect" doesn't sound to promising either. Let's see how this turns out but I'm pretty sure it will be shit less than optimistic about this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom