Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Available for Preorder on Steam

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Crafty Studios; Realms of Arkania HD Remake

The Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny remake has been made available for pre-order on Steam. It's currently 20% off the normal price, and the release date is July 30. The supported languages are English and German.

A legend reborn as Realms of Arkania-Blade of Destiny returns!

Developed by Austrian developer Crafty Games, Realms of Arkania – Blade of Destiny is a one-to-one remake of the 1992 original, adored by a generation of Role Players and one of the most successful German RPG’s of the 1990’s.

Get ready to return to Thorwal, one of the oldest cities of Aventurien. Make sure your wits are sharpened before walking down the small alleys of Thorwal and Prem, and prepare to stop the Orcisch threat while creating a mighty alliance between nations. Featuring a complete visual reimagining along with a comprehensive overhaul of every aspect of the gameplay, Realms of Arkania – Blade of Destiny is set to captivate a 21st century audience of new and old fans alike.

Old school RPG at it‘s best – for the Fans of REAL RPG games.

Features:
    • Remake of the first part of the Realms of Arkania
    • Roleplaygame with roundbased tactical fights
    • Cities and Dungeon in current real-time-3D
    • Dozens of Talents, Fighting Skills and magical skills
    • Authentic realization of the DSA basic rules
    • Depending on gaming preferences – 20 to 80 hours game time.
    Grab this "roleplaygame" here. Or wait for the possible GOG.com release if you're so inclined.
    LeStryfe79 and Infinitron Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    I'll await Codex opinions on this one before getting it...
    ^ Top  
  3. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monster Slayer Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Me too, I haven't played the original yet, so I will need to know which version is the superior one before making a purchase.

Besides, I would prefer to buy the non-steam version, given a choice.
    ^ Top  
  4. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Divinity: Original Sin
    ^ Top  
  5. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    that's a no-brainer. the only reason to get the remake is if you are such a complete graphics whore that you can't stand playing the original trilogy.
    ^ Top  
  6. eric_s Developer

eric_s
    Nooo that's not true. I think we should give it the benefit of the doubt. This remake incorporates all the rule and mechanical updates of the later games plus adds a few other new rule improvements as well. They've talked about new content that's going to be in the game too, which should hopefully individualize the dozens of sparse, identical towns. At the very least, if the only thing that's different is town layouts, it will be an improvement.

Things are going to get real unproductive when this comes out.
    ^ Top  
  7. AbounI Learned Patron

AbounI
    It is said the remake will also be available at GoG ;)
    http://forum.schicksalsklinge.com/index.php?page=Thread&postID=12749#post12749

There's also a boxed CE, but beware, it is only for german, no english part (text+audio+book)
    http://forum.schicksalsklinge.com/index.php?page=Thread&postID=12721#post12721

For now, they don't know if the publisher will launch an outernational english boxed version

edit: if the ranged combat mechanic does not obey to the straight lines rule of his parent, it will be a great improvement
    Crooked Bee Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  8. Ramireza Learned

Ramireza
    villain of the story Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  9. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    it is. no additional content or tweaking changes the fact that the original trilogy is how the game was meant to be played or that it costs less in its entirety than the hd remake.

or that supporting game remakes means supporting the cancer that destroys creativity in the entire entertainment business.
    ^ Top  
  10. eric_s Developer

eric_s
    What specifically are you referencing? What other RPGs have been remade and in what way is it influencing the industry? The only thing I can think of is Baldur's Gate being remade in Neverwinter Nights 2, which was free, made by a single person and thus far has not had an effect.

But I disagree that original releases are necessarily how things are meant to be played or that there is even a specific way things are "meant to be played". This is why we have patches, unofficial patches, mods, updated rereleases, sequels that use the same engine, why D.W. Bradley has been working on the same game for almost a decade. There is no such thing as a game that can't be improved upon. Blade of Destiny is one of my favorite games, but it also has a lot of stupid, arbitrary problems. Towns are mostly the same, except for Phexcaer which has incomplete content. You can't shoot diagonally. Mechanical information is not apparent or well-conveyed. There are a million stupid ways to die instantly that aren't foreshadowed. Rejecting something because it's a remake is an uncritical and rose-tinted way of thinking. It's better to do it because it's not well-made, which we don't know yet, and that's why we should give it the benefit of the doubt.

Awesome. I saw footage of the old 3D map system and thought it was really ugly. This is a huge improvement.
    mondblut and Clockwork Knight Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  11. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    My biggest argument against this is... Ultima V: Lazarus... 'nuff said.
    Jaesun, Infinitron and rrc2soft Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  12. Untermensch Learned

Untermensch
    So.... if someone were to remake Baldur's Gate with proper turn-based combat, supporting it would somehow be bad?

Because, according to you the awful RTwP combat is how the game was supposed to be played.
    ^ Top  
  13. sithren Novice

sithren

Huh, the steam trailer shows the old configuration. I like the new one, though.

I've never played Realms of Arkania. Anyone recommend this new version to a scrubcore like me?
    ^ Top  
  14. Bulba Learned

Bulba
    Let's hope it does not end up like bg ee.
    ^ Top  
  15. LundB Mistakes were made.

LundB
    [​IMG]

Realms of Arcania

:hmmm:
    ^ Top  
  16. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Oh Wow! Didn't catch that at first. Must be a Steam mistake....? :?
    ^ Top  
  17. LundB Mistakes were made.

LundB
    Nope, Steam doesn't make the logos or boxart. Don't even try to blame Gabe for this (boxart from trailer):

[​IMG]

Not the best sign for something claiming to be a loyal remake made by people who really know the original. Not as much that one of the artists made it as the fact that apaprently NOBODY caught it before it went up on steam and in a trailer.
    ^ Top  
  18. Sacred82 Educated

Sacred82
    Realms of Skyrim Arcania
    ^ Top  
  19. oasis789 Magister

oasis789
    It's got the Guido Henkel Stamp of Approval:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  20. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Not registered on their forums but can anyone post this there to point this glaring mistake out.
    ^ Top  
  21. Duraframe300 Magister

Duraframe300
    ?

Maybe the guy who made it/the people who went through it didn't have much contact with the english version?

Its original name isn't Realms of Arkania (Even translated back into german, that title was sir-techs own creation) in the first place, so under rulez of the hardcore I don't really see that as any indication that they aren't loyal.
    ^ Top  
  22. oasis789 Magister

oasis789
    I've always wondered about that. How did sirtech come up with "realms of arkania" anyway? Is it part of the TDEverse?
    ^ Top  
  23. Dorateen Erudite

Dorateen
    Still wish they would have channeled their effort into making a new Realms of Arkania adventure. I support this project on the theory that it might bring a new generation of players around to appreciate this kind of game. But still...
    ^ Top  
  24. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    From Wikipedia for The Dark Eye:

The Dark Eye is set in the fantasy realm of Aventuria. During the 1990s, it was first translated as "Arkania", but the name was later changed to one closer to the original German name. Aventuria is a continent of the planet Ethra (an anagram of "Earth", as the planet's name in the German edition, Dere, is an anagram of "Erde", the German word for "Earth"). The other continents of Ethra are Myranor (also called "Gyldenland" in Aventuria), Uthuria and Vaestenland.
    ^ Top  
  25. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Divinity: Original Sin
    buzz Brofists this.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)