Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JarlFrank , just a suggestion, but maybe think about including Realms Beyond on the top of your signature? Had to google to find the website.

Good idea. Done so!

I have just designed an ITZ-mace a few days ago!

Also, we got a pretty large selection of melee weapons. Swords, maces, axes, spears, halberds, glaives... yes, even the much neglected polearm receives some love from us.
Is there any actual tactical difference to the weapons or are they all just 1dx and you use what you like?

We're pretty much using the D&D 3.5 rules as they are in the books/the OGL rules. Which means there are different damage types - bludgeoning, piercing, slashing - and some creatures are resistant against one type (so skellingtons are better fought against with bludgeoning than piercing weapons).

Longer weapons, such as two-handed spears, will also have reach, just as in the D&D rules.

So while you don't get as much of a difference in special attacks like in Age of Decadence, each weapon type has its use depending on the situation.

Will this be a gameplay focused rpg like ToEE? It looks beautiful by the way, very nice that it's turn based.

Yes, ToEE is one of the major inspirations for this game. The ultimate goal is to create a game with the combat of ToEE and the reactivity of Arcanum, so you get quite a few quests with C&C, as well as challenging hand-crafted encounters.

We're using the OGL D&D 3.5 rules with some minor homebrew adjustments (such as using hexes rather than squares), so ToEE is a pretty good comparison when it comes to the gameplay. Except we'll have better quests than what you had in Hommlett.
Don't forget trip weapons and such.

If you pay for the animation costs, sure! :P

Coding it would be simple, but special stuff like trip weapons should also look nice.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Will this be a gameplay focused rpg like ToEE? It looks beautiful by the way, very nice that it's turn based.

Yes, ToEE is one of the major inspirations for this game. The ultimate goal is to create a game with the combat of ToEE and the reactivity of Arcanum, so you get quite a few quests with C&C, as well as challenging hand-crafted encounters.

We're using the OGL D&D 3.5 rules with some minor homebrew adjustments (such as using hexes rather than squares), so ToEE is a pretty good comparison when it comes to the gameplay. Except we'll have better quests than what you had in Hommlett.

Sounds amazing, will it be drm free?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The whole "group animation" thing is a great idea.

I remember one of the things I hated most about the first Fallout, was waiting for all the enemies to make their movement animations - especially when there were a whole bunch of them. (Towns, specifically. Hehe!)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

We're planning a DRM-free boxed version, as well as GoG and Steam releases. So yes.

JarlFrank
Looks Nice.
Please make sure that the characters are actually customizable. Not the abominable select pregen characters.

Also please finish this before you run out of money again.

Our character creation will be on the same level as previous D&D games, like ToEE, BG2, IWD etc.

And don't worry. Last time, the issue was with the publisher. This time, we're independent.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
JarlFrank , just a suggestion, but maybe think about including Realms Beyond on the top of your signature? Had to google to find the website.

Good idea. Done so!

Also, we got a pretty large selection of melee weapons. Swords, maces, axes, spears, halberds, glaives... yes, even the much neglected polearm receives some love from us.
Is there any actual tactical difference to the weapons or are they all just 1dx and you use what you like?

We're pretty much using the D&D 3.5 rules as they are in the books/the OGL rules. Which means there are different damage types - bludgeoning, piercing, slashing - and some creatures are resistant against one type (so skellingtons are better fought against with bludgeoning than piercing weapons).

Longer weapons, such as two-handed spears, will also have reach, just as in the D&D rules.

So while you don't get as much of a difference in special attacks like in Age of Decadence, each weapon type has its use depending on the situation.

Coding it would be simple, but special stuff like trip weapons should also look nice.
What animations? ToEE just used the normal attack animation for trip atyacks. Does the game lack trip attacks?

What I meant in the prev post was simply that some weapons have advantages for tripping, iirc that you avoid the AoO even without the improved trip feat.

agris

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank Do you guys have an animation solution to prevent the 'synchronized swimming' look when a cohort moves at once?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Good idea. Done so!

What animations? ToEE just used the normal attack animation for trip atyacks. Does the game lack trip attacks?

What I meant in the prev post was simply that some weapons have advantages for tripping, iirc that you avoid the AoO even without the improved trip feat.

The issue with trip is that the target is pushed to the ground by the attacker, which is an animation we don't have yet. Yeah, I guess we could theoretically use a standard attack animation and a standard going prone animation, but Peter says he'd prefer a proper animation for it.

He might consider implementing it without a special animation too, though.

JarlFrank Do you guys have an animation solution to prevent the 'synchronized swimming' look when a cohort moves at once?

Synchronized swimming can be easily avoided with randomized start delays and randomly modified movement speeds.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
How can this go wrong.. A swarm of Orcs attack one guy and murder him in one round...

The crowds tend to only apply to trash mobs. The dangerous enemies will act independently.

Also, it's up to the level designer to assign the crowds to low level enemies. Say you have 10 goblins, 2 orcs, 1 ogre. Obviously only the goblins will receive crowd behavior.
The level designer can choose to split the 10 goblins into two crowds of 5 goblins, who will both get their own initiative rolls and act completely independently.

Besides, ganging up on the weakest character of the party to get him down first is a valid tactic, and something you as the player will likely attempt to do too (most players I know try to knock down the enemies one by one rather than spreading out their damage).
And generally, you wouldn't allow your characters to be surrounded, anyway, would you? If you have, say, five frontline fighters and line them up in a proper formation, the ones in the center of the formation can only be hit by 3 enemies at once - or even just one enemy.

If you allow one of your characters to be surrounded by a swarm of orcs and die in one round, that's entirely your fault.

Mustawd

Since this will have the ability to create modules, are you trying to make the game modder friendly?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
We're planning to release the very same tools we use to build our levels and script our quests. The game will be based on a module structure, kinda like Neverwinter Nights. Modders will be able to create modules that will be loaded by the game and played as their own independent campaigns. Like in NWN, or more recently the Shadowrun games.

Mustawd

:takemymoney::takemyjewgold:
:d1p::fuuyeah:

Me IRL right now.

giphy.gif

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will we be using a six man party?
Are there attacks of opportunity?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Kinda. We're planning for 5 player-created characters + 2 joinable NPCs for a maximum of 7.

Are there attacks of opportunity?

Of course. AoOs are an integral part of the D&D ruleset and experience, and an important element of combat tactics.
We'll also have 5 foot steps for retreating out of an enemy AoO area so you can safely retreat.

Mustawd

Kinda. We're planning for 5 player-created characters + 2 joinable NPCs for a maximum of 7.

Aren't companions optional? You can't do 7 player party creation?

I mean if it breaks the balance of the early game because the 2 NPC will join later, then maybe have the option to create the additional 2 in a tavern or training guild later on in the game or something. Having a max party of 7 and forcing me to have joinable NPCs kinda seems unnecessarily restrictive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When it comes to classes, what can we expect? The basic ones? Prestige classes? Multi classing? Dual Classing? Kits? I understand if it's still early. I'm just interested in the game and curious.

Oh, while I'm at it: vancian magic or no? I've seen games say D&D and not go the vancian route.

What can we expect in power level. Approximately how high leveled will the party be by end game?

About the type of story: Is it a more save the world type scenario, or is it more focused on your party?

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
How can this go wrong.. A swarm of Orcs attack one guy and murder him in one round...

Better yet! Devs are creating/designing combat mechanics to make turns go by faster (sell to Pillars of Shit fans...)! Not to implement a mechanics idea or something like a phase based system.
Smelling the smoke of degenerate gameplay already!
How much trash combat is in there if they are already designing systems to fight 20 goblins?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

We're planning a DRM-free boxed version, as well as GoG and Steam releases. So yes.
Jesus christ man, I can only become so erect.

Dorateen

Arcane

Can you clarify if this is something still under discussion? Back in January, Hobgoblin made the comment regarding party size:

Up to 6 characters.

Joinable NPCs are fine, but I'd still prefer to make six characters.

Mustawd

Joinable NPCs are fine, but I'd still prefer to make six characters.

I mean they're fine, but I'd like to have a few things clarified:

1.) Can we choose NOT to have NPCs in our party?
2.) Is 7 the amount needed for a normal/balanced playthrough?
3.) When meeting said NPCs, can you replace them with one of your party members that you created? (like in Avernum for example).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I've always tought all those Bard's Tale and Bard's tale inspired games where you can recruit some fixed NPCs, and even most monsters which is quite cool, and summoned monsters take a place in the party like any character, AND in the same time you can make a full party of created character from the start are the most prestigious ones in that regard. They satisfy three important points :
- important party creation
- no special one
- total freedom and tons of possibilities.
It is the good way to let the player play with how many created characters he wants, while the Pillars of Eternity way (special one + possible other created later) is the bad way, this kind of story, NPC reactions, ..., based on who "you" are is the biggest reason why I don't like the game, I can create my own party but still can't play as the party, as a band of adventurers, which is what I like to do.

That said, 5 created at the start + 2 more optional pregens is fine (see the 2 first points), don't misinterpret.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How about something more radical, 5 chars that stay and 2 that come and go?

If you treat the NPCs like regular party, most often you end up not replacing them and experimenting with new guys. After 10+ hours of levelling up and customizing, you are not likely to replace the NPC with another one you met later (unless it was written by Chris Avellone).

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
The gameplay of ToEE and the reactivity of Arcanum? Sweet Jesus, you guys sure don’t want for ambition.

How in the world will you fund this? Did someone’s rich relative just leave them a large legacy? Diamond smuggling? Are you pirates of the North Sea? In other words, how many dark eons must pass before you can get the game out without turning to a life of crime to fund its development?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They probably employed from the gypsies living in their country.

But yeah, I don't have any real hope of ever seeing this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom