Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just do late 3.5/Pathfinder type bard where yeah, you're jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, but your songs are swift actions to activate and free actions to maintain i.e. there's actually a reason to carry around a bard. Combine with Lingering Song later for simultaneous songs running while your bard still fights/casts spells, and they are actually valuable, balanced assets to a party!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But I mean, I'll take any gish though I'd prefer the Magus is just a balls-to-the-wall awesome class.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bard is on the table in terms of additional classes to add, but when it comes to non-prestige base classes we are currently focusing on implementing those we already have properly. When that is done, we'll think about adding bards too.
It's pretty likely that we'll include them at some point, but first things first. Our project is ambitious enough already so we have to set priorities. ;)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just do late 3.5/Pathfinder type bard where yeah, you're jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, but your songs are swift actions to activate and free actions to maintain i.e. there's actually a reason to carry around a bard. Combine with Lingering Song later for simultaneous songs running while your bard still fights/casts spells, and they are actually valuable, balanced assets to a party!
Pathfinder Bards are OK, 3.5 not really.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Reason I said "late 3.5" is that by and large you could do PF Bards in 3.5 with the right alternative class features and press classes. The most important feature IMO is easy access to constant songs while doing other stuff

EDIT: NWN2 sort of did this "the easy way" by making Bards aurabots. Not perfect but an acceptable solution IMO

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
In NWN2 bards are OP as fuck. You have 3/4 BAB except you have Inspire Courage with progressively bigger +attack modifiers, capping at +5 at lvl20, effectively making you 4/4 BAB. Except it also gives +5 to dmg and works for the entire party. That alone seems already fairly useful. Song of Requiem does damage like no other ability in the game (if you max Perform as much as you can).

Our project is ambitious enough already so we have to set priorities.
But several divine classes are OK, you bardophobe bigot?

ArchAngel

Arcane
In NWN2 bards are OP as fuck. You have 3/4 BAB except you have Inspire Courage with progressively bigger +attack modifiers, capping at +5 at lvl20, effectively making you 4/4 BAB. Except it also gives +5 to dmg and works for the entire party. That alone seems already fairly useful. Song of Requiem does damage like no other ability in the game (if you max Perform as much as you can).

Our project is ambitious enough already so we have to set priorities.
But several divine classes are OK, you bardophobe bigot?
I am pretty sure my Barbarian+Frenzy Berserker+Dragon Disciple did damage like no other ability or class in the game :)
You send him forward with Great Cleave and Power Attack and he kills everything alone in record time. That shit was obscene

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Besides, most of the early game will be fought with standard or minimally enchanted equipment. The powerful stuff will only become attainable for you in the later stages of the game, when your party is strong enough to master the challenges behind which the unique items are sealed. You might even find an incredibly difficult dungeon in the first area of the game, impossible to even attempt at your level - then you note down its location, remember it for later, and return when you've gained some levels. ;)

Speaking of - please allow note making on map screens. And maybe even a journal you can write in!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Besides, most of the early game will be fought with standard or minimally enchanted equipment. The powerful stuff will only become attainable for you in the later stages of the game, when your party is strong enough to master the challenges behind which the unique items are sealed. You might even find an incredibly difficult dungeon in the first area of the game, impossible to even attempt at your level - then you note down its location, remember it for later, and return when you've gained some levels. ;)

Speaking of - please allow note making on map screens. And maybe even a journal you can write in!

Map notes yes, journal not sure yet. We'll keep it in mind!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't need a journal but let me type stuff down, in-game. A log book or something.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Systems Design #1: Hardcore Accessibility
April 1, 2018

Over the last couple of months of development, we have really put our minds to solving a major problem that can be found throughout the RPG genre: the oldschool, hardcore games offer a learning curve that is just too steep for new players, but many modern RPGs are just too easy to be enjoyable to the hardcore players. Of course, we're designing a feature-rich, complex oldschool RPG and want to provide the player with a challenging experience and dozens of interesting gameplay features to explore. Since this might be a little overwhelming for people who are new to the genre, we've come up with a couple of accessibility features that will make getting into our game so much easier. Keep in mind that each of these options is entirely optional and won't have an impact on the overall design of the game!

1. The Location Markers

Ever since the revolutionary Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, markers that show you the way to your quest location, or even to the nearest dungeon, have become a standard in modern RPGs. We're going to take it a step further: if you activate our Location Markers feature, you not only get each quest goal marked on your map - you can also instantly travel there by going to your journal, clicking on the entry for the quest you want to tackle, and clicking the "travel there" button next to the quest title. You just talked to the town's mayor who told you to go kill the orcs at Blacktooth Camp, but you're too lazy to check on your map where Blacktooth Camp is? No problem! Just go to your journal, click the "travel there" button next to the "Orcs at Blacktooth Camp" entry, and you're instantly teleported to the quest location. Not even Skyrim's fast travel was this convenient!

2. Combat Aim Assistance

Turn based combat can be difficult, especially when the encounters are designed to be a challenge. But worry not! If the large amount of combat options overwhelms you and you have no idea what to do, you can just let our handy little Aim Assistant help you out! When it's the turn of one of your characters, you can click on the nifty little "Aim Assistant" button in the combat menu, and your character will automatically choose the optimal combat action and go through with it. The enemy has two wizards, and you can't decide which one to take out first? No problem! Let the Aim Assistant handle it! Tactical decisions have never been this easy! As an added bonus, the Aim Assistant literally assists your character with aiming, increasing the to-hit-chance by a few points. Nifty!

3. Dialogue Choice Advisor

Dialogue trees have been an integral part of role playing games since Ultima Underworld and Dark Sun, and in some RPGs the dialogue trees and the choices they offered you were even the most important part of the gameplay: Planescape Torment, Age of Decadence, and Torment: Tides of Numenera are some noteworthy examples. But dialogue trees with many choices can be a little overwhelming. If you have ten different options, it's difficult to decide which one would be best. Half of these options might piss the NPC off and botch a quest, or even make the NPC attack you. We all remember those conversations in Fallout and Arcanum where we picked the dialogue options that looked the funniest to us, but they ended up insulting the NPC and caused him to never talk to us again. If you're afraid of making the wrong choice, you have to worry no longer, because our Dialogue Advisor is here to help you out! In any conversation, you can just click the nifty little "Dialogue Advisor" button in the dialogue window, and it will automatically choose the best option for you! Want to convince the evil overlord to give up his plans of world domination, but you're not sure what to say to him? Let the Dialogue Advisor handle it, and you are guaranteed to succeed!

Of course, each of these features is completely and entirely optional, and players who want the full oldschool RPG experience can disable them entirely in the options screen. But for those who wish for a more accessible and welcoming game, they offer the ease-of-use and smooth, barrier-free gameplay that defines the newest generation of gaming.

This is just an April Fool's joke please don't lynch me

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
He still had to include that "achtung, ihr ist deutcher that likes to participate im ze human ritual of telling der inefficient non-sensical stories" -disclaimer.

vazha

Arcane
He still had to include that "achtung, ihr ist deutcher that likes to participate im ze human ritual of telling der inefficient non-sensical stories" -disclaimer.
Bonus points if you say it in the voice of Prince Ludwig the Indestructible in your head:incline:
latest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom