Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
20. Grimoire : Heralds of the winged exemplar

A game from Australia (!!), apparently made by a single mad man. Looks like a game from the 90's (golden era, anyone ?), I get strong wizardry vibes from it.
Some say it has a story that rivals Bioshock Infinite.

36F4C93FFAD5C4DB411CB597A2BF9C3EB95995E5

V_K

Arcane
3. Arcatera, the Dark Brotherhood
3827_4ff350ad65240.jpg
This one has good ideas but very lousy and buggy execution. It's basically an RPG/Adventure hybrid where the NPCs follow their agenda independent of the PC, so you could get a bad ending just by waiting too long. Unfortunately (but expectedly), bugs galore and combat is horrible. Only interesting as a curiousity.

5. Icarus, Sanctuary of the Gods
9.jpg
Basically, a tactics game rather than RPG. You just go from battle to battle with some cutscenes/shopping in between. While technically you can develop your characters, there's only one right way to do it, otherwise you end up with unwinnable battles. Not worth it.

12. Blind Justice - not only obscure but also the oldest title of the ones I presented here (1995). I've heard some good things about it, like it has a story that rivals the one of Planescape: Torment, but I'm not sure if it wasn't just some internet trolling...
Show Spoiler
blind-justice_2.gif
Good luck finding a version that doesn't crash when you try to leave the starting area. I couldn't.

13. Dragonfire the Well of Souls - an RPG from Sweden (!) based on their system Dragons and Demons (!!)
Show Spoiler
pc-63099-21447368083.jpg
It's a very simplistic diablo clone with occasional easy puzzles. Only worth getting if you really want to play as a murderous duck.

15. Mistmare - alternative history of medieval Europe destroyed by magical fog
Show Spoiler
MISTMARE_092303_007-601102.jpg
This one is actually not as bad as its reputation, and certainly original in many ways. But very buggy.

16. Vampire Hunters
VampireHunters.jpg
Shovelwarish RPG/Adventure. Playable, but that's the best thing that can be said about it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DESPAIR THY EYES
Krondor's not that obscure bro.
Should've made a Prosper reference instead.

21. Avalon
1126_4ab93698ba9a6.jpg

22. The Tainted
3095_4d367d27e7839.jpg

23. Amika
4998_53552905a3de2.png

24. Cybermercs: The Soldiers of the 22nd Century (Alien Slayer / 사이버 먹스)

1703_5221752568772.png

25. Lamentation Sword (Akuma: Demon Spawn / Toema Jeonseol / 퇴마전설)
952_48a59368c07a1.jpg

Anything good of these titles? Some look interesting (mind you, writing from my phone now, on a little screen even shitty game can look intriguing).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
20. Grimoire : Heralds of the winged exemplar

A game from Australia (!!), apparently made by a single mad man. Looks like a game from the 90's (golden era, anyone ?), I get strong wizardry vibes from it.
Some say it has a story that rivals Bioshock Infinite.

36F4C93FFAD5C4DB411CB597A2BF9C3EB95995E5
Doesn't look like anything to me :)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
27. Rytíři Grálu
5452_5630f3ceac6eb.png

28. Hot War
6041_563906197e1db.png

29. Ghost Stories (Liaozhai Zhiyi-zhi Youku Chuanqi / 聊齋誌異之幽谷傳奇)
6951_583ace5fede34.png

30. Fancy Angels (夢幻天使)
5465_559942850e7c0.png

Yep. Have this thing too.

Guys, don't make me visit my personal prosperland. My wounds still healing.:negative:
:positive:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
DESPAIR THY EYES
Krondor's not that obscure bro.
Should've made a Prosper reference instead.

21. Avalon
1126_4ab93698ba9a6.jpg

22. The Tainted
3095_4d367d27e7839.jpg

23. Amika
4998_53552905a3de2.png

24. Cybermercs: The Soldiers of the 22nd Century (Alien Slayer / 사이버 먹스)

1703_5221752568772.png

952_48a59368c07a1.jpg

Anything good of these titles? Some look interesting (mind you, writing from my phone now, on a little screen even shitty game can look intriguing).
Don't remember much about the first three (iirc Tainted was one of the few RPGs developed in South Africa). Cybermercs was mostly developed by a one-man army, it's more of a cyberpunk-ish Diablo. Lamentation Sword is a nice ARPG if you want to relax and listen to some nice tunes while wreaking havoc.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If anyone have played some of those games share your opinions. It would be nice to know, for example, which ones might be potentially playable and which ones are so bad or so badly bugged that can only be of interest as a curiosity. Thanks to everyone who did it already.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
These seem to be obscure because they are foreign and not very good. If I could recommend some foreign, but good games that I have completed and that some may not have heard of I would suggest the following:

1. Prince of Qin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Qin_(video_game)
2. The Legend of Cao Cao: http://kongming.net/legend_of_cao_cao/
3. Fallout 1.5: http://www.resurrection.cz/en/
What's your review of Prince of Qin? I tried playing it but the translation was really really bad, as well as the voice acting, I couldn't stomach it. Should I force myself or?

Archangle

I played that one. Hmm, it's an interesting game, it does some parts kinda well like the atmosphere (at least in the first era). It's more of a light RPG, there are come C&C shinanigans but as far as I can tell, they don't change the main story. I would recommend you play this if you don't know what else to play; the game does drag on at certain parts, especially the end.
[/QUOTE]

We actually have an old RPG Codex review of the game here: http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=29

I enjoyed the game. I created a mini-review thread on it a few years back: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/thoughts-on-prince-of-qin.88673/

I'll just repost my final thoughts from that thread:

"It took me over 52 hours according to my save file, but if I would have to guess I easily played over 60 when you factor in reloads. Your soft squishy spellcasters can really get their asses handed to them quickly when you're fighting against large groups. At the end of the game, some of my characters would stop engaging the enemy and I didn't always notice. Because of that, I did less damage to the final guy than I should have, which dragged the fight out longer. This resulted in me losing my summoned bear, witch, and strongman before finally taking the boss down. I ended the game at level 48. The funny thing is that I entered the palace at level 40. They send so many men after you towards the last part of the game that my computer started lagging from having to process their movement, and I jumped 7-8 levels for each character. The more men I killed, the quicker my computer was able to process information once more.

The AI can be somewhat stupid. Often I would run away from a blob of enemies, and they would stop chasing me and turn around. I would then turn and kill the stragglers. Wash, rinse, repeat until the force is manageable to take on in a rush. This could even be done in more constrained dungeons. The ability to build your own items was fun, but there was a definite lack of materials. I found countless metal ore and wood to use, but I hardly ever found tendons. There were some locations where you could kill continuously spawning monsters, but for some reason the respawning areas mostly had ogres, which never dropped tendons, hides, or bones. Some balance in regards to raw materials would have been nice. As it was, I mostly could only make weapons for my muscle man and rings for everyone else.

It was a fun game, but a lot of the time spent was due to padding. The ton of random encounters and battles against Qin soldiers became annoyingly repetitive. The support class of the witch should have had a normal distance attack. Those are quibbles, though. I liked the character classes, the lore, the graphics, the music, the unforgiving side quests, and many of the characters. Find and play this if you can, especially if you liked isometric games such as Baldur's Gate and Divine Divinity. Prince of Qin took elements from both."

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
cec4817493b4529f4b76959ff21ca100.jpg

Hexplore, an RPG/action-adventure game, very strange. I loved the demo.

8291f9f228f7a131c0a748af496835bd.png
d2743b3a701439b5f1419195b94a0aeb.png

Der Druidenzirkel, some shitty attic RPG/adventure.

eXalted

Arcane
Paradise Cracked

Don't. Just don't. You will spend your whole time staring at the "Movement beyond visual range" screen, because the whole game is turn based, not only the combat. And waiting for the NPCs to move takes aeons. Oh and the main hero is a hacker whos name is Hacker.

Cael

Arcane
Demon's Winter.

And this one, although I would consider it a squad tactic game more than RPG:

EDIT: Prophecy: Fall of Trinadon

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom