Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Re-Legion - cyberpunk cult RTS

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://icecodegames.com/games/re-legion/

https://af.gog.com/game/relegion?as=1649904300

Re-Legion, cyberpunk RTS where you as a cult leader covert citizens into your units:

ss_4f30580a426f1fccf4959e63b05df8cbd6d71254.600x338.jpg

ss_b48f35974aa5663c942b452da8d764048864b39e.600x338.jpg

In a stagnating technocratic society of a seemingly perfect futuristic world, a cult is born. A strong leader emerges from the crowds and steps in to rid the world of the misery that clenches the society. He brings answers – food for people’s minds – and comfort for their souls. All those seeking higher meaning within the world are accepted. They find their place within a community that fills the void they’ve recently had to cover with drugs and alcohol. But as Elion, their leader and prophet, increases his influence and power, he loses touch with reality and the ideal of salvation gradually turns against those that don’t feel the need for his guidance – the infidels.

In Re-Legion, players Follow Elion’s journey from a lone prophet to the most powerful advocate of religion in the city. Introducing a new alternative to the usual economic and resource management used in RTS games, Re-Legion allows players to convert ordinary non-believing citizens into their units – the worshippers. Initiated cultists then expand the cult’s possibilities by obtaining cyber-coins to enable upgrades, by praying they increase faith to gain and use special abilities, they hack buildings and ad-boards to expand and control territories, they convert other citizens or fight enemy units and non-believers.
The overall direction of the one’s cult is defined by the dogmas chosen for it. From a peaceful religion to one that despises non-believers, each one of dozens of dogmas defines the way in which the cult will pursue its goals. But whichever way you decide to choose, your worshippers will all work together to build a strong and powerful cult...

…they are the legion of their own religion.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope they can pull the asymmetries off.
Usually, agressive is king in RTS games, so I'm not quite sure how they want to enable a pacifist faction style.

But... I guess we'll see.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Usually, agressive is king in RTS games, so I'm not quite sure how they want to enable a pacifist faction style.

Aggressive is only king when you disable victory conditions like wonders.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Aggressive is only king when you disable victory conditions like wonders.
Not really.
Even with stuff like wonders, it is all about map control. If you control the larger portion of the map and thus have more income, you will simply outproduce an enemy, no matter what kind of victory you go for.
And the only way for map control is playing aggressively - at least in most RTS games. Northgard actually comes to mind as an RTS where you cannot really go very quickly or aggressively for map control due to the cost involved.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Most RTS games also put a cap on unit numbers, which means if you've got all the resources you need to max out your production speed and army, the excess is only relevant if the game drags on long enough. You can also make static defenses or defenses the player starts with more powerful to put the advantage to the defender in battle, therefore making teching up more viable than spending resources to gain map control. Imagine if Terran in starcraft replaced nukes with an instant win. Playing aggressively for map control would be ludicrous. Or play on one of the custom maps where bases have unlimited resources (which were incredibly popular I might add) and map control becomes pretty irrelevant.

Making aggression king in RTS games is a design choice because a lot of people find the building part of an RTS dull and just want to smash armies together. But there are also plenty of people who prefer the building part, and they could be catered to as well.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
But there are also plenty of people who prefer the building part
To be fair, this niche is much better catered with another genre entirely, the city building sim.

I don't necessarily disagree with your arguments against aggression in RTS games, but people who just want to build a city/fortress/kingdom should look at the city building games. We could do with a real-time empire building sim that is the scale of empire earth/rise of nations.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
But there are also plenty of people who prefer the building part
To be fair, this niche is much better catered with another genre entirely, the city building sim.
That's just not true.
City builders have little to nothing to do with the gameplay of proper building RTS games like AoE, DoW, Warlords Battlecry, etc.

In city builders, you don't have any opposition to start with. Or units.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm not quite certain the makers of this game know what a "heretic" is. They use it in place of <ahnmed the dead terrorist>"infidel"</ahnmed the dead terrorist>

Still, the Church of the New Epoch approves. So does the Brotherhood of Nod.

One vision, one purpose.

Destroid

Arcane
And the only way for map control is playing aggressively - at least in most RTS games. Northgard actually comes to mind as an RTS where you cannot really go very quickly or aggressively for map control due to the cost involved.

I guess this is part of why RTS bifurcated into tower defence and mobas.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone play this? Looks fun but it is getting bad reviews. I like 1C but I have other RTS to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom