Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Raw numbers for PoE's dialogue checks

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Here are the numbers for all dialogue/text adventure checks made in the game, determined by searching the .conversation files with grep. About 40% of them are redundant with another check (like some background checks offering an alternate Lore check).

Mind you, the dialogue unlocked by these checks could still be shit.

Barbarian: 2
Chanter: 1
Cipher: 12
Druid: 1
Fighter: 4
Monk: 2
Paladin: 1 + Order
Priest: 6 (3 unique - without equivalent "Clergyman" background check) + Deity
Ranger: 2
Rogue: 2
Wizard: 3

Kind Wayfarers: 7
Bleak Walkers: 6
Shieldbearers: 3
Goldpact: 2
Darcozzi: 3

Berath: 3
Skaen: 7
Magran: 5
Wael: 5
Eothas: 7

Aristocrat: 8
Artist: 4
Clergyman: 7 (4 unique)
Colonist: 9
Dissident: 6
Drifter: 4
Explorer: 9
Hunter: 10
Laborer: 8
Mercenary: 8
Merchant: 11
Mystic: 5
Philosopher: 11
Raider: 11
Scholar: 13
Scientist: 6
Slave: 7

Aedyr: 12 (5 of them with Aloth)
Deadfire: 9
Ixamitl Plains: 1
Old Vailia: 4
Rauatai: 9 (8 with Kana)
The Living Lands: 9
White That Wends: 14

Aumaua: 7
Coastal Aumaua: 1

Dwarf: 0
Boreal Dwarf: 1

Elf: 1
Snow Elf: 7 (3 with Glaswal)

Godlike: 10
Fire Godlike: 4
Nature Godlike: 2
Moon Godlike: 2
Death Godlike: 3

Human: 1

Orlan: 14 (5 with Captain Aldmar)
Hearth Orlan: 1
Wild Orlan: 1

Male: 7
Female: 12

First number shows amount of conversations where the stat is checked, numbers in brackets include multiple checks per conversation (can be slightly inaccurate):

Might: 38 (42)
Constitution: 12 (12)
Dexterity: 19 (21)
Perception: 42 (47)
Intellect: 40 (55)
Resolve: 55 (81)

Stealth: 4 (5)
Athletics: 22 (30+) (only checked once outside of text adventures, by the Glanfathan Leader)
Lore: 18 (25)
Mechanics: 4 (7)
Survival: 14 (16)

Highest amount checked:

Stealth: 6 (Falanroed/Maw)
Athletics: ? (possibly 11 on Burial Isle)
Lore: 10 (lots)
Mechanics: 8 (Durance)
Survival: 12 (Sagani)

Disposition checks:

Aggressive 39
Benevolent 40
Clever 27
Cruel 52
Deceptive 30
Diplomatic 25
Honest 26
Passionate 33
Rational 30
Stoic 28

Highest unlocks are for Rank 3; Rank 4 is only used to lock options.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Nice list.

Seems I unwittingly played the most stat-checked route, heh.

Beowulf

Arcane
Male dwarf liberal arts student with focus on constitution and stealth - my idea for a new character. So I can replay the game with minimal exposure to it's exceptional writing; which - as we all know (except Irenaeus) - is average.

Shadenuat

Arcane
:negative:

WNL73gH.jpg

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I went dwarf paladin... Well played, Obsidian, you fucking ableist cis-het racist patriarcal privileged neckbeard shitlords. I'm taking this up to Aneeta! :smug:

Stompa

Arcane
Bleak Walkers: 6

Must've missed 2 of those somehow. From what I remember there were Bleak Walker-specific dialogue options with Raedric and lionesses's supporter in the Maw, and reactions from those assholes near the dragon's egg and the head priest in Ethik Mol or whatever the fuck that place with sacrifices in Twin Elms was called. Can't recall if the assassin party in Stormwall Gorge checked for BW.

Mercenary: 8

Surprisingly those I've rarely seen, given just how much mercenary work there is in the game. Aside from the one at the start of the game, there was a check with that noble in Dyrford, Iovara at the end of the game and maybe with Kolsc. Either the rest were so banalshitboring I can't remember them or I must've picked some wrong choices, but I'm sure I haven't seen mercenary-only dialogue options, only reactions from NPCs.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember seeing a single rogue check during my playthrough, and I thought I was very thorough. I think I got most if not all of the background checks (Old Vailia - Dissident) as well.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't remember seeing a single rogue check during my playthrough, and I thought I was very thorough. I think I got most if not all of the background checks (Old Vailia - Dissident) as well.

Here are the Rogue checks:

To Irensi: "Perhaps Sul hides behind the perils of the Maw because she's forgotten how to navigate them." (for Ranger or Rogue)

To Durance: ""When you departed for Halgot Citadel to strike at Eothas, you traveled so no one could recognize you, correct?"" if you are a Rogue or have Int >15

And one with Grieving Mother for Chanters or Rogues that looks like cut content :argh: The entire .conversation file does not have a corresponding .stringtable file (for dialogue text), but there's a "02" version of the conversation file that doesn't include the rogue/chanter check anymore.

The only companions whose dialogue has "v2" or "02" tags are Durance and Grieving Mother - I'm assuming the version change was due to Avellone's cut content. Grieving Mother has a huge conversation file with Durance (companion_cv_gm_durance.conversation) containing over 100 pieces of inter-companion dialogue that reference non-existing text files. They must have cut a ton of MCA's stuff.

Athelas

Arcane

Here are the Rogue checks:

To Irensi: "Perhaps Sul hides behind the perils of the Maw because she's forgotten how to navigate them." (for Ranger or Rogue)

To Durance: ""When you departed for Halgot Citadel to strike at Eothas, you traveled so no one could recognize you, correct?"" if you are a Rogue or have Int >15

And one with Grieving Mother for Chanters or Rogues that looks like cut content :argh: The entire .conversation file does not have a corresponding .stringtable file (for dialogue text), but there's a "02" version of the conversation file that doesn't include the rogue/chanter check anymore.

The only companions whose dialogue has "v2" or "02" tags are Durance and Grieving Mother - I'm assuming the version change was due to Avellone's cut content. Grieving Mother has a huge conversation file with Durance (companion_cv_gm_durance.conversation) containing over 100 pieces of inter-companion dialogue that reference non-existing text files. They must have cut a ton of MCA's stuff.
Read all about it here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78683-cut-content-durance-and-grieving-mother/

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Did a quick pass to remove the checks from the unused GM conversation files from the list. Cipher haters will be happy to hear that they lost 5 unused checks!

Also lost one of each for Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, Ranger, Chanter, Wizard, Magran and Intellect. MCA really loved his class checks.

Atchodas

Augur
Because it wouldnt appeal to target audience ( 12 year old steam users )

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I forgot about the Disposition checks. They're mostly well balanced, but three are checked significantly more often than the others:

Aggressive 39
Benevolent 40
Clever 27
Cruel 52
Deceptive 30
Diplomatic 25
Honest 26
Passionate 33
Rational 30
Stoic 28

Highest unlocks are for Rank 3; Rank 4 is only used to lock options.

If you care about the best role playing experience, an Aggressively Benevolently Cruel character is the way to go.

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
Cruel , Clever , Deceptive , Aggressive my personal choice for every playtrough, except the first one where i thought that different answers in dialogue bare different results oh how naive i was :D

Also when you are Deceptive and do quests for god of Lies and Secrets ( Wael ) you get punished for your disposition and get no quest reward LOL WUT :D i mean cmon , this is not primary school dont punish me for lie-ing when i said the truth for first time ever in the game

Shevek

Arcane
How man times have you played through this game you hate so much?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom