Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rat Diplomacy 2: Fish Cannot Carry Guns

Eadee

Scholar
Anyone who wants some Kebab?

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Kabeap you say?

Pietzner%2C_Carl_%281853-1927%29_-_Emperor_Franz_Josef_I_-_ca_1885.jpg

sqeecoo

Arcane
Gah, a stall from Muty in the first year.

zHPiW6Q.jpg

Guys, if you want a restart I'm ok with it. Austria usually gets killed anyway so it's not a huge deal but still, it's not really fair to all the players on the board. Or we can continue, I'm just offering.

By the way I can't say I like webdiplomacy; some of the interface is nice, but you can't have the big map open in the same screen when giving orders which is kinda retarded, and either I'm an idiot or the army figures aren't color coded to their nations and it's very hard to figure out who's who. I still like playdiplomacy more :)

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like I said, I don't mind continuing, but I'm fine with either.

You have the small map right above the order input interface, that should be enough, the big map is really only for seeing all the details, like supports that didn't connect. Or you can open the big map in another window. Units are colour coded, you can see the square of the nation's colour just behind the unit. The squares are not there if you are on your own turf, where it's obvious as enemy units would have the coloured square.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Kulja votes for a restart, but is too lazy to write on the forum :)

Right, I get that on the unit color coding, maybe I'm just used to the other system but this is much harder to grasp quickly for me, and the small map is too small for my taste. Not a huge deal, and the drop menus for orders are indeed great.

Eadee

Scholar
Wow, MediantSamuel you really live historical accuracy there. You have my deepest respect for portraying France so good. I think I wouldn't have the courage to just let everyone invade my land unresisted.

Also, if we're going for historical accuracy in this match then I'll be screwed if Austria keeps Vienna :(

Projas

Patron
I think you'll be alright. Germany can't even order support in the right direction, you can't lose against that.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's been a long, hard road for sorry old France. Learning the games' systems among a group of devious, untrustworthy Codexers has been quite the learning curve.

What started on the 25th of Jan has now finished in a three way draw between myself, Projas (Germany) & Eadee (Turkey) as of the 16th of May, although the veracity of my position as a "draw-er" in this game is rather dubious. (As you can see below!):

8F2cbUl.png

Hats off to all of you who participated (Tigranes, Muty & Kulja) & thanks to sqeecoo for setting 'er up. :salute:

(Thanks for putting up with my noob mistakes & stalls, also. :M)

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Congrats to everyone, and sorry for stalling out there in the end. It was a good game, but for me it was hampered pretty badly by the webdiplomacy interface - it's just really hard to tell who's going where and what happened, to the point that I stopped trying to figure out the mass of arrows :)

But it was a good game, and all the participants were good players. Congratulations to the survivors! Perhaps we'll play again sometime.

Projas

Patron
Thanks for the game everyone. Shame about all those CDs. I think I had a pretty good shot at the end there, but I fucked it up, ended up stalemated and had to settle for a 3-way draw (as Turkey didn't see arranging a 2-way draw as a possibility).

Wrong Fairfax mate ;)

It was a good game, but for me it was hampered pretty badly by the webdiplomacy interface - it's just really hard to tell who's going where and what happened, to the point that I stopped trying to figure out the mass of arrows :)
Arrows are important information though. Plus you can always look at the orders in text form if you can't figure it out from the map. I really don't see how playdip is any better.

Eadee

Scholar
But it was a good game, and all the participants were good players. Congratulations to the survivors! Perhaps we'll play again sometime.
But please back to playdiplomacy next time. The webdiplomacy interfave was very frustrating and almost made me give up on this game at times.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Playdip has a nice large map with the current situation where you can give out orders that has much more intuitive coloring of land and units, and an equally large alternative map where you can see the moves of the last turn where the moves are indicated in much clearer fashion. Maybe it's just a question of familiarity, but I find it infinitely easier to navigate.

My stalling was primarily due to the fact that I couldn't figure out at a glance what was going on, which I can on playdip. Of course, nothing wrong with having different preferences :)

Eadee

Scholar
Arrows are important information though. Plus you can always look at the orders in text form if you can't figure it out from the map. I really don't see how playdip is any better.
It is way better because you have both, a clean map without any arrows to plan your turn, and one with the arrows to see what happened in the last turn.
Also colored units are much easier to play with than same color units with those colored squares.

Projas

Patron
I have no idea why would you ever need a clean map without arrows. It's not like the arrows obstruct the view of the units and you are actively hiding information from yourself by not looking at map without arrows. And unit coloring is just a matter of familiarity, they both demonstrate perfectly clearly which unit belongs to who. I used to play on playdip, but then I switched to webdip (mainly because playdip locks game modes behind a paywall) and yeah, it takes some getting used to at first, but once you do you realize the interface is absolutely all you could possibly need and hiding information from yourself is just a bad habit.

Aha, so you're the one I trusted but who betrayed me! :argh:
That's why you never trust anyone. Not like it mattered though, you still got a place in the draw.

Eadee

Scholar
Another point that I don't like in webdiplomacy is that you can't enter illegal moves at all. Being able to claim you messed up your orders accidentally is imho an essential element in this game.

Also I don't like that everyone can see when I was online the last time and all that. I want to be able to pretend "oh, I haven't looked at the turn yet" to halt negotiations without rising suspicion.

I don't care much about the paywall since I'm just interested in the vanilla game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom