Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Randomly Generated Items

Randomly Generated Items?

• Total voters

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Have they said anything about randomly generated items? I am waiting until the AMA tomorrow:
Join us on Tuesday, September 22 at 1 p.m. PST, 4 p.m. ET, 22h CET, and 23h MSK.

First:
If you haven't yet, please vote: http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/...me-ideas/suggestions/9510270-hand-placed-loot

Mico Selva wrote up an awesome suggestion that has sat at the top of the 'Hot Issues" list for the last week or so - dethroning "Adult Material". Good Itemization > Boobs. The confusion around this issue is the only thing making me hesitant to up my pledge.

If any of you are attending the AMA can you ask them to address that suggestion? - just in case I can't make it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, I asked them if there were powerful items in the game, and they said the plan was for the player to craft those items using source points. I think they're going for the combo of randomization+crafting again, although they didn't say that explicitly.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Give me more two handed swords with one handed sword skill improvements, please.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey, first time poster here.

Kinda weird way to start, but eeh. I asked this question about random loot on their AMA 1 hour ago and Swen told me they are going to try to have a mix. Let me quote it

"Copying this from another answer:

Personally I'm a fan of a mixed system & that's always been the intention but time/lack of people dedicated typically foiled that plan. Hopefully this time it'll work out ;)

One of the advantages of working on top of the D:OS EE framework btw means that we already have a wide selection of modifiers to work from and we'll be adding a lot of them, meaning a wider range of items."

Random loot really detracts from exploration, because you know you are going to get Generic Sword of Mediocrity in each chest you find.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Randomly generated items are fine and add to replayability, the problem is that in DOS there are hardly any worthwhile unique items.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Having random items is fine, but when 99% of the gear is random, exploration starts to feel pointless and token. It reminds me of ARPGs like Diablo, but the logic there is different.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
People need to worry less about replayability and worry more about the first play-through not being shit.
Honestly this is what I expected but it's pretty disappointing.

Larian can't be assed to place hand crafted items and they have been doing this RNG shit for a long time.
I think I'm gonna leave my pledge where it's at. I'm not throwing money at a game that is going to probably turn out -okay-.

They haven't learned much from D:OS and are picking up new bad habits. What was the point of a suggestion website if they aren't gonna do any of the suggestions.

Swen seems more worried about half naked man-elf cos-players and Feminist demographics then making a good game.

I asked this question about random loot on their AMA 1 hour ago and Swen told me they are going to try to have a mix. Let me quote it

:bro:

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
The Enhanced Edition will have more unique and craftable equipment, and D:OS 2 will continue to expand on that.
All the Divinity RPGs have had unique equipment (though in DD the stats were still randomized).
A lot of the suggestions on the uservoice site are for things that were already planned. Some others will undoubtedly be considered; some are conflicting, or simply don't fit in the game, etc.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The Enhanced Edition will have more unique and craftable equipment, and D:OS 2 will continue to expand on that.
All the Divinity RPGs have had unique equipment (though in DD the stats were still randomized).
A lot of the suggestions on the uservoice site are for things that were already planned. Some others will undoubtedly be considered; some are conflicting, or simply don't fit in the game, etc.

This is exactly what I thought you'd do btw. You guys have shown that you listen to your players (the ones who have legitimate complaints) and are willing to fix issues, which is great. Keep up the good work.

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
Oh, I assumed you were fishing for details about equipment in the EE.
I thought it was common knowledge I work for Larian. My first post here I was told my reply was irreverent, as I was just a forum mod, not a dev. :D I've since also taken over support.

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
Thank you. I would have added that info to my profile if there was a place for it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, romances beat hand-placed loot 2 times. :negative: I know we *are* going to get more unique items, it was just awful/painful to see people caring more about their virtual waifus than exploration lulz.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I hate crafting so, so much. I hope you can get by perfectly well without it. Hand placed > randomly generated >>>>>> hoard cloacas, rat droppings and iron bars to craft +5 sword of doom.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I hate crafting so, so much. I hope you can get by perfectly well without it. Hand placed > randomly generated >>>>>> hoard cloacas, rat droppings and iron bars to craft +5 sword of doom.

I despise crafting in almost all its iterations as well; I was hoping there were some high level recipes that require a high level crafting skill and unique materials to complete. Kind of like in BG2, without the skill... and the crafting. Hoarding shit to craft other shit is sort of ...there, I guess. It also fills up your inventory. Making your own potions/grenades/consumables isn't that bad though.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I understand you had set items in DD but they were still randomly placed into loot lists. You guys don't ever seem to want to put static items in the world. D:OS had like 3 unique items in the actual world (I only remember the flaming axe from the ancient wizard guy). The rest were Diablo 2 styled suffix and preffixes.

Saying your solution is just the Divine Divinity route of adding more unique items to a leveled loot list is just lazy - I'm sorry it is.

Your catering to a somewhat old school RPG demographic so put some effort into your items.
Why can't this sidequest where I slay some ancient evil have a static item with some back history?

Tell me what these items are.. why they exist in the world.. who has them now and why. This was the essence of RPG exploration.
You can do loot lists on crates and boxes.. but it's getting just obnoxious. I know it's a little extra work but it really pays off in the end. Just because you guys don't care doesn't mean a lot of us don't.

As I said before.. Worry about replayability after the first time through is fun.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I understand you had set items in DD but they were still randomly placed into loot lists. You guys don't ever seem to want to put static items in the world. D:OS had like 3 unique items in the actual world (I only remember the flaming axe from the ancient wizard guy). The rest were Diablo 2 styled suffix and preffixes.

Saying your solution is just the Divine Divinity route of adding more unique items to a leveled loot list is just lazy - I'm sorry it is.

Your catering to a somewhat old school RPG demographic so put some effort into your items.
Why can't this sidequest where I slay some ancient evil have a static item with some back history?

Tell me what these items are.. why they exist in the world.. who has them now and why. This was the essence of RPG exploration.
You can do loot lists on crates and boxes.. but it's getting just obnoxious. I know it's a little extra work but it really pays off in the end. Just because you guys don't care doesn't mean a lot of us don't.

As I said before.. Worry about replayability after the first time through is fun.

I think this is what he means when he says that we'll get more unique items. Just like the static axe from the big bad under the church. If they just randomly put them in the loot tables like in ARPGs then that's totally missing the point.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think this is what he means when he says that we'll get more unique items. Just like the static axe from the big bad under the church. If they just randomly put them in the loot tables like in ARPGs then that's totally missing the point.

I made an assumption that this is what he meant because this is how Divine Divinity worked. In the leveled loot lists there were "unique" items which were really just scaled set items.
If that's what he considers "unique" this game is doomed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I made an assumption that this is what he meant because this is how Divine Divinity worked. In the leveled loot lists there were "unique" items which were really just scaled set items.
If that's what he considers "unique" this game is doomed.

I think he was just making the observation that DD *had* unique items, but they were also somewhat random.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think he was just making the observation that DD *had* unique items, but they were also somewhat random.

I've long since abandoned optimism.
They obviously don't care about item lore/backstory/placement so I don't have high hopes for any effort to be put into it beyond what the D:OS engine gives for free.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've long since abandoned optimism.
They obviously don't care about item lore/backstory/placement so I don't have high hopes for any effort to be put into it beyond what the D:OS engine gives for free.

You may be right and that may be my naivete speaking. Though all other Divinity games had hand-placed loot as far as I remember. They weren't enough or memorable, but eeeh. I do hope they don't confuse "hand-placed loot" with "unique items that drop randomly".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom