Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Deflowerer

Arcane
Prostitution ring simulation from nips when?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Teasing ghost is teasing. One of the two dungeon crawlers will possibly be revealed next week: http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/dungeon-crawling

Dungeon Crawling

Hi everyone. These past few week's I've been busy dungeon crawling, and no I'm not talking about exploring the darker reaches of the Ghostlight Warehouse, although rumour has it many strange and wonderful things can be found there.

Instead I've been playing through the two rather excellent dungeon crawlers that we're currently working on, one of which we should be able to actually announce very soon, possibly next week in fact!

While both of these games are very different, they do have two important similarities. Firstof all, they both look really awesome and are great fun to play, and secondly they pose quite a challenge and are genuinely testing my gaming abilities. I think my main problem is that I have a habit of trying to push a touch too far at times, meaning that I've had plenty of opportunities to see the game over screens :(. I also have a habit of being a little too cautious when it comes to managing consumable items, when I'd clearly be better off - at times - using items up at much faster rate.

The good news is that game conversions themselves are progressing really well (certainly far better than my skill at playing them) and I think we should be ready to start the closed beta very soon after their announcement. So watch this space if you'd like to take part :)

That’s all for now. I’ll be back soon with more news from Ghostlight, but until then why not follow us on our Twitter, Instagram and Facebook pages, our Youtube Channel and our Google + account, where we’ll be posting all the latest news from Ghostlight. You can also follow me on Twitter for a more personal take on all things Ghostlight.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I also have a habit of being a little too cautious when it comes to managing consumable items

1451882173413.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Bullet Witch? One of Cavia's first games. Unfortunately it is garbage, but it was one of the seeds for the creation of Bayonetta (the other one being Kunoichi for the PS2).

BW is also quite trollish despite being one of their first games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New Sakura Wars game is coming: https://gematsu.com/2018/04/new-sakura-wars-game-announced

Sega has announced a new video game entry in the Sakura Wars series.

The “completely new game” is set in Taisho era 1929.

Further information was not announced.

The latest entry in the Sakura Wars series, Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love, launched for PlayStation 2 in Japan in 2005. It came to North America and Europe for PlayStation 2 and Wii in 2010.

Apparently it's early in development, and it will be released in 2019 or later.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Disgaea 1 remake coming West this Fall: https://gematsu.com/2018/04/disgaea-1-complete-coming-west-this-fall

Disgaea 1 Complete coming west this fall

Disgaea 1 Complete, known as Disgaea Refine in Japan, is coming to PlayStation 4 and Switch in North America and Europe this fall for $49.99, publisher NIS America announced.

The game will feature English and Japanese audio options, and English and French text options.

A $99.99 limited edition containing a copy of the game, official soundtrack, official hardcover art book, enamel pin set (nine pins), orthodox Prinny coaster set, Noppai Etna flat mousepad, “Poster of Darkness” tear-resistant poster, “Netherworld Unbound” tear-resistant poster, Prinny cube plus, Rosen Queen certificate of authenticity, and Prinny pouch collector’s box is now available for pre-order on the NIS America Online Store (PlayStation 4, Switch).

No mention of PC version.

Screenshots: https://gematsu.com/gallery/disgaea-1-complete/april-19-2018/

It looks like a PC version but with hi-res character sprites.

pbrand

Novice
So, how is the plot?
Unique if nothing else. It's kung fu drama, so if you are/were into Hong Kong action flicks it's basically your game in terms of the story. I feel like most martial arts games tend to be fighting games and never pay any attention to narrative, so Shenmue fills the gap.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I feel bad for Vita hemorrhaging games this badly, but hell yeah for PC release. Who could've imagined this timeline with all the JRPG ports to PC?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Hate to double post, but... omelette du fromage.

https://techraptor.net/content/banner-of-the-maid-switch-ps4-pc

Banner of the Maid is the story of one Pauline Bonaparte, though wildly different from her real-life journey. After graduating from the military academy, Pauline goes to Toulon to visit her brother, Napoleon. There, she is swept up by the winds of revolution and finds herself fighting alongside figures from the French Revolution like Marie Antoinette, Rose de Beauharnais, and more. From there, you command squads of soldiers and utilize various skills in order to survive the Revolution.

Banner of the Maid‘s development team appears to be based out of Shanghai, if their Weibo (Chinese Twitter) is any indication. Development of Banner of the Maid was funded through CE-Asia, though it appears as though the team received a grant for their project as well. Though there’s no specific location mentioned for the development team, I would hazard a guess that they are located within the Shanghai Free-Trade Zone, which explain the English and Japanese-language trailers.

Hyperion

Arcane
Hate to double post, but... omelette du fromage.

https://techraptor.net/content/banner-of-the-maid-switch-ps4-pc

Banner of the Maid is the story of one Pauline Bonaparte, though wildly different from her real-life journey. After graduating from the military academy, Pauline goes to Toulon to visit her brother, Napoleon. There, she is swept up by the winds of revolution and finds herself fighting alongside figures from the French Revolution like Marie Antoinette, Rose de Beauharnais, and more. From there, you command squads of soldiers and utilize various skills in order to survive the Revolution.

Banner of the Maid‘s development team appears to be based out of Shanghai, if their Weibo (Chinese Twitter) is any indication. Development of Banner of the Maid was funded through CE-Asia, though it appears as though the team received a grant for their project as well. Though there’s no specific location mentioned for the development team, I would hazard a guess that they are located within the Shanghai Free-Trade Zone, which explain the English and Japanese-language trailers.

Didn't some Dev post on here regarding a French Revolution RPG awhile ago?

Edit: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...new-tactical-jrpg-of-epic-proportions.111045/

Yep. They haven't posted anything on the game in close to a year, so needless to say, the Kickstarter failed. Members of that team transferring their talents to this game? Seems unlikely for 2 French Revolution games to just pop out of nowhere...

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
SaGa: Scarlet Grace for PC, PS4, Switch, mobile coming August 2nd in Japan: https://gematsu.com/2018/04/saga-sc...pc-and-smartphones-launches-august-2-in-japan

I'd imagine western release would be the same, considering the PC release.

English localization is happening, but the release will be later: https://gematsu.com/2018/04/saga-scarlet-grace-english-version-in-development

An English version of SaGa: Scarlet Grace is currently in development, series creator Akitoshi Kawazu has confirmed.

“Preparations on an English version have begun,” Kawazu said on Twitter. “It is not yet at a stage where we can promise a release window.”

In a separate tweet, Kawazu said that while the Steam version will not have an English language option at launch in Japan, there are plans to add it in later.

SaGa: Scarlet Grace first launched for PS Vita in Japan in December 2016. An enhanced port titled SaGa: Scarlet Grace – Hiiro no Yabou with tons of additional content is due out for PlayStation 4, Switch, PC (Steam), and smartphones in Japan on August 2. Read more about the game here.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
RPGolf, a golf RPG from Japanese developer ArticNet:

ss_d52d4a39428b45573a9900e780b1c06f281f2d7f.600x338.jpg

ss_8f9bf6f90b082c03bfa58c1a3035f214ed07ac1e.600x338.jpg

(This trailer is from mobile version, so ugly on-screen buttons.)

Once upon a time, the kingdom was a land of peace, harmony, and an all-consuming passion for the greatest sport - GOLF. Everyone in the land played day and night, and soon the kingdom itself was turned into the most beautiful course the world had ever seen. The land was happy. The land was good.

Until the monsters came...

In its obsession with golf, the people had become complacent, leaving the kingdom open to attack. Hole by hole, dungeon by dungeon, the monsters emerged and drove the people off the course. And a great sadness fell across the world.

Then one day, a brave girl appeared, determined to play the finest course in the world. Armed only with her golf club, she would set forth to play the nine legendary holes. But first, she would need to rid the land of the monsters...

RPGolf is an exciting blend of classic JRPG with 8-bit golf. Relive the nostalgia of the classic gaming age, but in an exciting new mash-up that combines the best of both worlds.

Key features include:
* Retro gaming graphics to transport you back to the 80s.
* Simple, intuitive controls enable you to battle, golf, and explore the world.
* 9 holes of golf, ready to be discovered across the world map.
* Dungeons filled with treasure and danger!
* Deadly boss fights.

RPGolf seamlessly blends golf and RPG into one addicitve game. Battling monsters will level you up, allowing you to hit the ball further. Discovering new clubs and gloves scattered around the world will improve your golf game, and also give you the edge in combat. By blending 2 game styles together, RPGolf creates a brand-new take on both, unlike anything seen before.

Originally released on mobile. I guess this is before the Switch indie hit Golf Story?

LJ40

Cipher
RPGolf, a golf RPG from Japanese developer ArticNet:

ss_d52d4a39428b45573a9900e780b1c06f281f2d7f.600x338.jpg

ss_8f9bf6f90b082c03bfa58c1a3035f214ed07ac1e.600x338.jpg

(This trailer is from mobile version, so ugly on-screen buttons.)

Once upon a time, the kingdom was a land of peace, harmony, and an all-consuming passion for the greatest sport - GOLF. Everyone in the land played day and night, and soon the kingdom itself was turned into the most beautiful course the world had ever seen. The land was happy. The land was good.

Until the monsters came...

In its obsession with golf, the people had become complacent, leaving the kingdom open to attack. Hole by hole, dungeon by dungeon, the monsters emerged and drove the people off the course. And a great sadness fell across the world.

Then one day, a brave girl appeared, determined to play the finest course in the world. Armed only with her golf club, she would set forth to play the nine legendary holes. But first, she would need to rid the land of the monsters...

RPGolf is an exciting blend of classic JRPG with 8-bit golf. Relive the nostalgia of the classic gaming age, but in an exciting new mash-up that combines the best of both worlds.

Key features include:
* Retro gaming graphics to transport you back to the 80s.
* Simple, intuitive controls enable you to battle, golf, and explore the world.
* 9 holes of golf, ready to be discovered across the world map.
* Dungeons filled with treasure and danger!
* Deadly boss fights.

RPGolf seamlessly blends golf and RPG into one addicitve game. Battling monsters will level you up, allowing you to hit the ball further. Discovering new clubs and gloves scattered around the world will improve your golf game, and also give you the edge in combat. By blending 2 game styles together, RPGolf creates a brand-new take on both, unlike anything seen before.

Originally released on mobile. I guess this is before the Switch indie hit Golf Story?

It appears that Golf Story was first, for whatever that's worth.
Golf Story original release : Sep 28, 2017
RPGolf original release : Nov 15, 2017

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom