Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

flyingjohn

Arcane
Key%20visual_1200-13-4-2017.jpg

:abyssgazer:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For the remaster of FFXII, you will be able to choose two jobs for your characters, instead of one. There will be 8 new tracks. Last but not least, there will be a transparent map you can use while exploring.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.destructoid.com/bandai-...ire-game-from-the-god-eater-team-431832.phtml

Bandai Namco's Code Vein is a vampire game from the God Eater team

Instead of eating gods, now its time to drink blood

That artful trailer Bando Namco put out a few days ago is for Code Vein, a vampire-themed, dungeon-exploring action RPG from the guys who made God Eater. Famitsu reports it will be made in Unreal Engine 4, but with no confirmed platforms announced yet, which we'll likely learn with its official announcement on April 20. A gameplay trailer will be available in early May. The game itself is 35% done and set to release worldwide in 2018.

The vampires are called "Revenants" who have supernatural abilities and live in an isolated society called 'Vein." Revenants have lost their memories and change into monsters called "Lost" when they face blood deficiency.

:bounce:

Hyperion

Arcane
Huh, that version of Uncharted Waters looks nothing like the one I remember. There was most certainly not a visible Hex Grid. Did they port the NES version instead of the SNES port? That seems...odd.

GENESIS--Uncharted%20Waters_Dec18%2011_26_50.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A new Yakuza title is in the works, series general director Toshihiro Nagoshi confirmed during the Famitsu Awards 2016.

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life won an Excellence Award from the publication, and during the creator interview with Nagoshi, Famitsu editor-in-chief Katsuhiko Hayashi asked about the next entry in the series. Here’s what Nagoshi had to say:

• As long as Yakuza 6 is labeled “the final chapter of Kazuma Kiryu,” we won’t be saying anything like, “just kidding!”
  • One of the keywords is that I want to create a new Yakuza.
  • I don’t think it’s necessary to narrow it down to a single title. It may be multiple titles.
  • We created the Dragon Engine with Yakuza 6, but the game engine itself will be completed with the development of a second or third title.
  • I’m already working on the next title. In the not too distant future… I think there will be an opportunity to talk about the next game’s development in a relatively early stage.
The most recent entry in the series, Yakuza 6, launched for PlayStation 4 in Japan in December 2016, and will launch in North America and Europe in early 2018. But before that, Yakuza: Kiwami will launch in the west on August 29.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Another Yakuza game is in the works. Kiryu's story is over. Using the Yakuza 6 engine.

Bravely Second sales have topped 700k worldwide. Better than I thought. Considering how much reused assets were in the game, I think they made a decent profit.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
http://gematsu.com/2017/04/bayonetta-pc-updated-vanquish-teaser

Bayonetta for PC updated with Vanquish teaser
Platinum Games' third-person shooter coming to PC?
Sega released a 22KB update for the recently launched PC version of Bayonetta today.
It appears the update itself was solely meant to tease a PC version of Platinum Games’ third-person shooter Vanquish, as all it did was add an image from the game (pictured right) to the “Extras” folder.
Vanquish first launched for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2010. A PC version was never released.
Vanquish-PC-Tease_04-24-17.jpg

Sorry for crap format don't know how to quote better.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another interesting Japanese game article on PC gamer, "Why the hell do they have mouths: a Final Fantasy 7 PC retrospective": http://www.pcgamer.com/why-the-hell-do-they-have-mouths-a-final-fantasy-7-pc-retrospective/

Ys9VwHw3b8TuPnAHqHh8ia-650-80.png

They don't actually remember why:

"Great question. I'm wracking my brain to try to remember," he said. Uh oh.

"This is not something that we added on the art side since I never changed the model files in any way. I believe I remember that the mouths were just sitting there in the original texture files for the characters. I'm pretty sure the code to drive them was probably there as well, and we just enabled it or something. I wish I could tell you more, but I just don't remember it."

Is this victory? Or defeat? Greenberg gave me what may well be the story behind the character mouths in the PC version: they were actually there the whole time, but had been disabled in the PlayStation version before it shipped. Why? My guess is that a PlayStation plugged into a typical CRT TV with a composite cable resulted in such a fuzzy, low resolution image, you couldn't really see them, anyway. The eyes were bigger, and more expressive, and so the mouths were cut.

But it's possible there's more to the story—maybe the developers wanted the mouths to animate but never got around to it, or simply ran out of time to properly implement them. They're still there in the 2012 PC re-release, which fixed up the 1998 port to run at higher resolutions and play nice with modern Windows. I took one more stab at finding out, contacting William Chen, another engineer on Final Fantasy 7. His response? “It has been so long that I don’t have any memory of it."

The article goes more about the making of the PC port than that one question, also featuring Obsidian programmer Jay Fong who was an engineer of the project. (Funnily enough, he is the person kind of revealed Project Indiana is "3rd Person Action RPG" through his LinkedIn profile.)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, if anyone here with outdated hardware (like myself) wants the latest, fastest build of an "unofficial" CITRA branch, i really vouch for this one:

- Citra-QT-Mingw-18-04-2017 is a modified branch of the "official" build except with Visual runtime files needed (it'll prompt you for them when you execute it): http://www87.zippyshare.com/v/n0oHquVg/file.html

- link to the gbatemp forum post containing the link in case you don't trust me or whatever: https://gbatemp.net/threads/citra-unofficial-chinese-builds-discussion.431974/page-254

i have tried every single citra build out there and with the latest Bleeding Edge (181 as of this post) this Mingw branch is leaps and bounds way, waaaay faster/better than any other build out there right now.

With Bleeding Edge: Elminage: Gothic (decrypted, jp .3DS rom) runs on my comp at 60% "speed" in graphically intensive dungeons like the ice or wind caves (those who've played it know), and Etrian Odyssey: IV's b1f runs at approx. 75% "speed"...

With Mingw-18-04-2017 build Gothic runs at 100% speed, any dungeon, any situation, and EO IV runs at 85-100% depending on what's going on (battles in any version are obviously 100%).

EDIT: also, just tried Draon Quest 7 3ds remake on Bleeding Edge 181 and it runs (i.e. the game's intro with the camera swooping around the island) at approx. 60% "speed", while the Mingw build bumps that up to almost 90% "speed" (haven't had the patience to test battles).

BTW, this Mingw build allows usage of frame_skip, which while technically "glitchy" will indeed allow some games/scenes/situations to play out, like the FMV cutscenes in SMT: Soul Hackers (which without frame_skip, on any build, are a complete clusterfluck/slideshow on my comp).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, my specs:

- cpu: amd a8-3870 "apu" (stock) 3.0ghz, OC'd to 3.4ghz (above statistics of the citra builds provided with OC enabled)
- gpu: amd radeon HD 6670 (stock, as OC'ing it yields no benefits as it is so ancient)
- ram: 4gb of the cheapest possible DDR3 RAM OC'd to 1333mhz

sound plays better in Mingw build, obviously, though I attribute that simply to the better speed. Honestly, it sounds like one of those youtube links "OMG FASTEST CITRA BUILD PLAY IN 4k !!!" etc, but this Mingw build blew me away.

Also, for those who want the numbers for a Horizontal Layout of the 3ds screens in Aspect Ratio-correct dimensions here are the ones I've calculated (and use myself) after manually testing out dozens and dozens of layout dimensions:
Screenshot%202017-04-27%2004.35.06_zpsxjtwq3nu.png

Screenshot%202017-04-27%2004.36.06_zpswo6dmv4x.png

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"simulation" RPG? Wtf is that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom