Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh my fucking lord I just lost lvl 38 Rolex to mexican vampire aids and if I survive to the next turn one of the princesses will turn into a meat toilet and I'll lose her too.
I wish I could read or the damn OCR worked properly on my tiny monitor so I would know what half of the skills are supposed to do.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Does Rance X have difficulty levels? If yes, hard is meant to be hard. If you played Russian games, they are calling hard difficulty normal. Thus anyone sane would select easy and hope for being able to ironman it.

No. There is optional hard game option for new game+.

Certain plot choices will also make your playthrough much harder.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd wait for english patch. Also is any news about Daiteikoku translation or did it vaporize?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I'd wait for english patch. Also is any news about Daiteikoku translation or did it vaporize?

As far as I know it's getting neither official or fan translation. And since Mangagamers is releasing official translation for Sengoku this year translation for X won't be coming until 2022 or something.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

As far as I know it's getting neither official or fan translation. And since Mangagamers is releasing official translation for Sengoku this year translation for X won't be coming until 2022 or something.
Is it retranslation, or have they simply copied fan translation slapped price tag on it and released it?

Got my first ending. And a B one at that (I was told it was impossible).

Steel Horror.
Taking Miki and Kentaro back to their world. You have to fight some modern world forces. Difficult but doable. Killer dango can melt steel tanks.

It sucks that the squirrel still takes over, but then years later DK Little Princess comes back with a miriad of helicopters and looking forward to glass the shit out of him.

But in my headcannon Rance just jacks some nukes or something and pulls the following

Dayyālu

Arcane
Is it retranslation, or have they simply copied fan translation slapped price tag on it and released it?

Full retranslation. Arunaru (Mangagamer's ex-pet translator) complained that the fan-version was "horrible" or something.

Thing is, who the fuck is going to buy Mangagamer's version? Everyone and their cat has already played SR years ago. Wasted money and effort: they could have begged Alicesoft to translate and fix goddamn's Daiteikoku crap gameplay.

Meh. Effort.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've already saved both Gandhi and Hornet on my first run game, so I already feel like I'm winning...

I will post a non-spoiler early game (to end of turn 1) walkthrough / translation / card translation later today in the Codex Playground forum, that will help players who can't read Japanese. But the game itself is pretty intuitive to play, and most of the menu GUI is already in English. You don't need to read Japanese to play the game, it's more being able to enjoy the story more.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Full retranslation. Arunaru (Mangagamer's ex-pet translator) complained that the fan-version was "horrible" or something.
Thing is, who the fuck is going to buy Mangagamer's version?

(Raises hand). I will because I feel I owe them the cash out of all the times I played and replayed that damn game.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Does Rance X have difficulty levels? If yes, hard is meant to be hard. If you played Russian games, they are calling hard difficulty normal. Thus anyone sane would select easy and hope for being able to ironman it.

Nearly each Demon boss has a hard version and an easy version. You first fight the hard version and if you lose then later you fight the easy version. The problem is that the game scales in difficulty every time the turn ends AND every time you kill a boss, so that by turn 10 the hard version of boss fights, even if they are do-able, are stupid to try. The only time you can beat the hard version of the Demon bosses is before turn 6 (which is when I killed Galtia and Medusa). Fighting Kesselring on turn 9 with 12 million hp is insane, it would take like 500 rounds to do that much damage even if you could survive the attrition that long. Same with bosses that you have to burst damage like Lexington. On turn 9 she has 6 million hp in 6 rounds, so you have to burst for ~ 3 million damage every 3 rounds to beat her hard version. Since I killed 2 bosses in one turn, I'm actually fighting a turn 10 Kesselring and Lexington.

rx03.png

That's 6 zeroes.... 12 million hp. And no, this isn't a game-over joke boss like DK Kay-chan.

Not that there's any chance you're gonna see Rance X translated any time soon. 14mb script is insane. That's about as long as the Trails in the Sky trilogy plus the Crossbell games combined.

There's an H scene that goes on forever, I'm sure it's even longer than Fifty Shades of Grey. I held down CTRL for like 5 minutes to scroll past it.

But unlike Sengoku Rance, Rance X does not have much fappable.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
But unlike Sengoku Rance, Rance X does not have much fappable.

It bothers me immensely that so many bad ends or outcomes have CG's while much of Rance's antics only feature naked female portraits. And they didn't bother to fix the titties in the naked versions so many of the characters with push-up bras look weird.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So in my demo walkthrough game I was able to burst damage Redeye Anise without New Game bonuses. Maybe I'm getting good? Think I can one-turn Helman? That's how much I hate that fucker Kesselring.

rx_wt_065.png

rx_wt_074.png

Hey... where's Rizna?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And yet Rance's writer is a woman, the main translator is also a chick, Rance would set the whole world on fire to save "his" girls and so on.
What are you trying to argue? I know about those and I don't think it has anything to do with what I was saying.
Just because the writer's a woman doesn't mean Rance is her ideal man turned into a video game character (And writing protagonist just based on their view of an "ideal person" is very amateurish.)
Or did she? Well different taste for different people I guess, but nowhere in the English translation nor the wiki he is shown as an ideal hero. Hell, they even wrote many male characters that contrast Rance's by being more traditionally heroic. (And also people like Bird)

EDIT:
And, if you're trying to say that "setting the world on fire to save girls" is his one of good points, okay, maybe, but it is also a selfish one, comparable to protagonists from another stories choosing people they love rather than saving the world, etc.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yeah, I realized I don't have the levels to beat Babolat (hard version)... sad since I found Rick and Freya getting to him. I also found a medal from a chest doing pre-Leazas, which is super cool. Since I shouldn't do Leazas now, I guess I can try Free Cities first? Problem is, I still haven't figured out a zap team to take out Babolat. I'd have to go in on Babs on turn 3... with... Lei? and... Magic? Anyone done 1 turn Helman yet?

Final Blow allows you to finish your turn even after you beat the enemy to get a better Overkill score.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
Could someone explain what these 3 bonuses do?
zTqkJUN.png

I'm only getting complete gibberish from various OCRs for these.

Ok now I discovered what the second one does. Stat bonuses (physical resist, physical damage etc.) cap at 49% by default and selecting that raises the cap by 25%.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I have really mixed feelings on this game.

If you love the Rance lore, this is probably a "IT'S HEAVAN" game for you.

On the other hand, there's way too much text in the game (I'm on a second playthrough now and it takes an hour to skip past the forced sections at the start that I already read!) but then again, the gameplay isn't that engrossing either. Battles really need to be shaken up more to make you try different team compositions because it just doesn't happen very often. I will give it credit that it happens sometimes, since in a lot of RPGs that doesn't happen at all.

I also think the strategic layer is a bit of a joke, since you don't have time to do anything outside of the required quests and killing Demons on every turn. Perhaps it might work better if each of the Demon killing missions were split into their component parts (since there's usually like 4-5 events that happen in each one before you get to the end where they're at their weakest) so you don't feel like you're locked in for hours in the same mission and have more freedom to jump around.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Battles really need to be shaken up more to make you try different team compositions because it just doesn't happen very often. I will give it credit that it happens sometimes, since in a lot of RPGs that doesn't happen at all.

This part I disagree with, since nearly every normal unique character cards as well as all of the reward premium character cards are extremely useful at some point if you want to try to make a "perfect" run. Of the "standard" card pool, besides the generic characters, there are only ~ 20 cards that I haven't found a use for (besides the cards that just give your army bonuses just by being in your collection). And some of the useless characters also unlock useful alternate versions of themselves.

Rescuing Hornet requiires making a dedicated Light team, and similarly beating the hard versions of Babolat and Lexington also require dedicated Lightning and Ice teams each. That makes the characters of those factions extremely valuable, especially if they are recruited early.

Meanwhle, many of the random premium cards are bonkers or useful once you understand what they do.

Also keep in mind that most people are playing this game on the easiest difficulty level. On the hardest difficulty level you have to make use of everything.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Best I can do against Babolat on turn 3 without new game+ bonuses.
rx_wt_115.png

It's getting there but I feel like I one more medal bonus short. This is with +2 Frames + 30% phsysical damage. One more medal bonus and I could replace Cecil with Lei (turn 2 FC).
Also, Babolat has only 390,000 hp on turn 2 and 650,000 hp on turn 3, wtf. This game is such a troll.

UPDATE:
Ok, I was completely wrong. Lei DESTROYED Babolat even without combos.
rx_wt_116.png

So, 1 turn Helman and 1 turn Zeth are both doable without new game bonuses.

Turn 1: Pencilcow
Turn 2: Free Cities (Lei)
Turn 3: Helman (Babolat and Kesselring)
Turn 4: Miki
Turn 5: Zeth (Galtia and Medusa)
Turn 6: Shangri-la
Turn 7: Leazas (Silky)
Turn 8: Hornet

Now Kesselring is raping me again.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I wish the game gave you more freedom to use the turns. If I figured this out right:
- Turns 5 and 6 have to be spent on fetching Miki and going to Shangri-La, otherwise it's DK Kayblis end or you get crushed by another wave of reinforcements.
- Failing to deal with Free Cities traitor before the end of turn 5 leads to Free Cities falling and JAPAN ending. In other words you need to deal with Lei in turn 2-4.
- You can afford to do like one adventure phase thing that doesn't give regional resistance if you don't kill 2 dark lords in one turn, otherwise you'll lose a country or two.
- Fucking Wenlina leads to Crook having to use her wish, this is extremely annoying since you realize the consequence like 10 hours afterwards.

Reinhardt

Arcane
People whining they don't see consequences right after choices. Good ol' codex.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
Depends on whether it's a game over or not. It takes way too much time to reach turn 2 when you start a new game.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
For some weird reason the game seems to be crashing for me at first combat, right after either me or enemy pick an attack. Weirded out, I try to correct this shit. Couldn't install it either for some reason and copied the game files directly from the Disc.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Depends on whether it's a game over or not. It takes way too much time to reach turn 2 when you start a new game.
Doesn't Rance X have a skip button ala Sengoku so you can fast forward through all cutscenes(except rans summoning of Suzaku for some reason) in seconds?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom