Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

TigerKnee

Arcane
I'm really confused at the people who call this a short game unless they CTRL-skipped every single scene in the game because I seem to spend most of the time reading storyline events.

Seems like is almost imposible to get good endings with no NG+ bonuses. Haven't advanced much myself since I'm just doing (and reading) the events of the first few turns, but I will try to meta a pure new run later for more decent endings. I haven't beaten every single Rance game in jap (except 4.x) to give up now.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You can save scum and RNG your way through, but it requires extreme luck. Or persistence.

Getting the true ending is pure meta. You will need certain things in place with very little leeway. The "shortness" comes from the few early turns being crucial. You should probably aim to get the other endings before going for act 2.

I'm kinda sad. There is a lot of good stuff, but predictably the lengthy epilogue can't really live up to expectations
the god damn worst slave doesn't stay dead
. It delivers a lot, but with such a huge cast it can never deliver enough.

A couple of characters really receive the shit end of the stick, which is 100% canon and unavoidable. Depending on your preferences, you might be really, really butthurt by this.

Those who haven't spoiled it for themselves yet... don't do it. I think it is better to experience the thing fully translated.

I think I'll drop it now, try to forget as much as possible and revisit it in a few years. Hopefully with Rance X Magnum or at least some fan disk added on top to give me a few more events with my fav chars.

I'm not aiming for true end for the first run, something more accesible, probably...

doing some planewalking and coming back with some AK's , Tanks and shit for Rancekrieg II Electric Boogaloo.
Other than that seems like you can aim to kill Kay by taking a boat, or crashing a Toushin Toshi on him or something. I don't know the details.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
3bf.jpg

Jason Liang

Arcane
Rance X's difficulty ramps up like a mother fucker.

I'm still on my first game, trying to one-turn Zeth on turn 5 and save Kamilla for the extra turn. I got past Galtia (that fucker), made it through the Monster Army, healed up on Alefgard, now stuck trying to figure out the best way to beat Medusa. So far I can get her down to about half life and make it to the 1st party switch. I know you have to keep Rance and Rizna (as soon as I switched to Gandhi she blasted me with her spell attacks), not sure what's the best character to deal with her AP drain malus. I fucking hate relying on Ninjas all the time. My Medal bonuses are unlock the three slots and the +1 AP every 2nd turn. I don't have the Demon faction unlocked yet.

So far my initial team vs. Medusa:
1. Rance: Rance
2. Leazas: Kanami -> Rick
3. Helman: Dark Heron -> Rolex
4. Zeth: Rizna
5. Free Cities: The guy that gives +3 AP -> Crook Mofus (Burinator)
6. JAPAN: Kiku
7. Pencilcow: Pastel Kalar

I know that one or more of the ninjas need to be a malus healer instead, I just don't know which one to use.

Anyway, my turn order was:
Turn 1: Pencilcow
Turn 2: Leazas -> beat La Hawzel (easy version)
Turn 3: Helman -> beat Balbolat (easy version)
Turn 4: Free Cities -> beat Lei (easy version)
Turn 5: AL Church/ Zeth -> beat Galtia (hard version), now on Medusa

Trying to beat Galtia straight up before turn 5 is impossible without New Game+ bonuses.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
From the top of my head I can't think of any scene where Rance is particularly inhumane in Sengoku. The viler stuff was done by Xavier.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Time to die, snake bitch.

rx_005.png

I haven't felt this satisfied since killing Orochi.

Although to be fair, I think Galtia was tougher to kill. Killing Medusa was just learning to actually read the character cards to figure out the right team. Killing Galtia your team also needs to recruit RNGJesus.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
From the top of my head I can't think of any scene where Rance is particularly inhumane in Sengoku. The viler stuff was done by Xavier.
Viler compared to Rance, yeah... but his baseline is already rape. His sidekick is a sex slave and he kills people he doesn't want to fuck.

Kamidori sex scenes are much more traditional grateful rescued maiden affairs.

Jason Liang

Arcane
On turn 8 of my first run, got my favorite CG yet.

rx_007.png

Patton ex machina (more like Hunty ex machina)

But now I need to go back and replay from end of turn 5 since

I found out that I'm too weak to save Hornet. But at least now I know what needs to be done. Besides, I've been getting shit cards from chests since Turn 6.

Viler compared to Rance, yeah... but his baseline is already rape. His sidekick is a sex slave and he kills people he doesn't want to fuck.

Kamidori sex scenes are much more traditional grateful rescued maiden affairs.

Rance rescues maidens from a life without his dick inside them. Most of them are grateful post-facto.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There should be a Rance game where the plot is you get thrown in prison for raping someone, and need to break out and finish raping them so they change their mind and drop the charges.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rance rescues maidens from a life without his dick inside them. Most of them are grateful post-facto.
Are you saying that this game tells that women should be grateful after being raped? This is the problem with patriarchy and victim blaming culture.

But seriously though, there is no defending Rance's personality.
He's meant to be anti-heroic. But I think he's a much more interesting anti-hero character than many modern "anti-hero" characters, since in many other characters their anti-heroic qualities are shown as something positive, meanwhile Rance's rape spree is not and he is only redeemed by the fact that he somehow saves kingdoms and stuff.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Finished my first run with bad end. This stuff gets so much more sick and depressing compared to normal RPG's it's not even funny.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Turn 8:
Hornet rescue squad, assembled!
rx027.png

Mission accomplished.
rx028.png

I knew it was possible, but Ken and Alex were underleveled in my first attempt, so I had to go back to end of turn 5 (as well as fix some other mistakes). But picking up Sanakia's slutty sister and Jaime Lannister were costly. I took Jaime instead of a medal from a chest found in Shangri-la, and Miss Dreishkaff I found on a day shopping trip chest instead of defending humanity from the Demon Army.

Also- Lia good!
rx034.png

29% Overkill on a 3 million hp boss.

Also:
rx035.png

Rance VI bro-team, reassembled.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
But seriously though, there is no defending Rance's personality.
He's meant to be anti-heroic. But I think he's a much more interesting anti-hero character than many modern "anti-hero" characters, since in many other characters their anti-heroic qualities are shown as something positive, meanwhile Rance's rape spree is not and he is only redeemed by the fact that he somehow saves kingdoms and stuff.

And yet Rance's writer is a woman, the main translator is also a chick, Rance would set the whole world on fire to save "his" girls and so on.

By the way, is there in this game Rance's quirk about having infinite levels exploited here? Perhaps it's still too early to tell since proper translation of the text will take decades, but I was wondering if the best finale will have Rance power-gaming his level to the stratosphere until he breaks the system and thus be capable of taking on the Creator.

Jason Liang

Arcane
On turn 9 Kesselring (hard version) has 12,000,000 hp.

Like, I *know* what strategies to use against him/her (clever, TADA) but it's still too much bs for me.

Same with Lexington (hard version). I know how to get 6,000,000 damage on her in 6 rounds. But it's (probably) not worth the bs.

Only Medusa deserves that much wrath.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Does Rance X have difficulty levels? If yes, hard is meant to be hard. If you played Russian games, they are calling hard difficulty normal. Thus anyone sane would select easy and hope for being able to ironman it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom