Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yes, I saw today that the Alicesoft wiki page has upped their Rance X info. Release date is February.

lightbane

Arcane
Such an high number of Fiends... Looks like they're going with the endgame of Kichokou Rance indeed.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm playing sengoku Rance and find this:

e6e2c55bcaf1e791f77ffa18d3045f53.png

It's normal due to the translation not being able to display the numbers correctly, or should not happen?

By the way. Just started playing it, but it's being a lot of fun, and I can't believe how much hilarious are the dialogues.

Last edited:

M. AQVILA

Arcane
So, apart from sengoku rance, which are the best (translated) Rance games and what type of gameplay do they have?

There are only 2 games comparable to SR
Kichikuou Rance, which is very similar to SR by gameplay but with some rough edges.
Rance 6, which is dungeon crawler. Main problem with the gameplay its low difficulty, and it becomes even more trivial by the end, when game gives you group of overpowered to broken characters. Despite that it's quite fun to play. But its main strength is the story, which is not without an issues but decent, and may even be called very good by video game standards.

Only Kichikuou Rance is comparable to (and better than) SR.
Rance 6 sucks, way too much grinding. Decent story though and besides it's Rance, anyone who likes the Rance series will be able to endure the grinding in favor of the story. Even R5D is better than R6, short but sweet.

Grinolf

Arcane
Rance 6 sucks, way too much grinding. Decent story though and besides it's Rance, anyone who likes the Rance series will be able to endure the grinding in favor of the story. Even R5D is better than R6, short but sweet.

You don't really need to grind anything for just getting through the story. Just by equipping experience boost items in both slots for characters with 60+ lvl cap and getting skill for boosting experience for Rance, it is easy to overlevel content without particularly trying to do so. And even if one picked the wrong skills and used non optimal items, game still makes it impossible to fail at later stages with bunch of new characters mandatory joining your group. Not much orbs needed just for story missions also.
Game is much more time consuming if you try to fully explore every map and get every event in the moment it unlocked, but that not required for completing the game. In fact getting every event ASAP isn't the most optimal plan, as for some very insane reason there is a very low amount of orbs player could carry at a time, but content to spend them on unlocks in a big chunks by story progression, so by farming orbs one would just have nothing to spend them on later.

M. AQVILA

Arcane

You don't really need to grind anything for just getting through the story. Just by equipping experience boost items in both slots for characters with 60+ lvl cap and getting skill for boosting experience for Rance, it is easy to overlevel content without particularly trying to do so. And even if one picked the wrong skills and used non optimal items, game still makes it impossible to fail at later stages with bunch of new characters mandatory joining your group. Not much orbs needed just for story missions also.
Game is much more time consuming if you try to fully explore every map and get every event in the moment it unlocked, but that not required for completing the game. In fact getting every event ASAP isn't the most optimal plan, as for some very insane reason there is a very low amount of orbs player could carry at a time, but content to spend them on unlocks in a big chunks by story progression, so by farming orbs one would just have nothing to spend them on later.

I didn't want to replay the game, it wasn't fun, so I tried to unlock every character event I could find. Even if I focused only on my favorite characters it would still take way too much grinding for my tastes.

The problem with not doing all orb events immediately as they appear is that sometimes they'll go away and you'll miss out on stuff. And really, the whole reason to play the game is for the events. Just sticking to the main line throws away half the game's amusing interactions. Better just to cheat though the farming or it becomes incredibly tedious.

Leveling is easy though since virtually everyone gets experience constantly. It's not like Rance Quest where leveling is a true PITA since only 5 characters out of some ridiculous number get the XP, meaning you basically pick 5 and hope they can do everything. The game itself doesn't require much min-maxing or high levels. Rance alone provides enough firepower to demolish most random encounters, all he needs is some support.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I tried KR, but damn, the gameplay just felt like a pale imitation of Sengokus, I just couldn't get into it.

That's because SR was designed after KR, they improved the gameplay based on their experience I assume. But that's just gameplay, everything else is better in KR. At least I enjoyed playing KR more than SR.

Edit: I say gameplay but I mostly mean the combat system.

Last edited:
Imho KR is a bit overrated. The combat is nowhere close to SR. And the plot, characters, etc are not that amazing (and I prefer the Rance IV art). But to be expected when you pour every bit of your imagination into making a full world and try to fit all of that into one game.

My list (apart from remakes and pre-KR) is something like: SR>R6=KR>R9=RQM>>5D. The older titles rank from newest to oldest (apart from the just for the lulz 4.x games).
I would put Rance IX higher if the gameplay was a bit more complex. Same with RQM if it had an actual plot and less grind (without the expansion and a few patches it was just suffering). Both also lacked from having 3D polygons for combat.

Same with RQM if it had an actual plot and less grind (without the expansion and a few patches it was just suffering).

RQ has more grind than R6? Jesus Christ. And here I was looking forward to play it. I already don't like the new art style and now this. How disappointing.

Well, Rance VI is not really that grindy. But Rance Quest (Magnum is the expansion) is a massive grindfest.
At least the reason for the grinding has a logical plot reason:
Horny guy gets cursed with impotence that only let's him fuck high level women, but after fucking them they delevel (back to level 1). So you can guess pretty much what the plot is. The expansion makes the gameplay better, the grinding more bearable and adds some actual plot.

Grinolf

Arcane
The problem with not doing all orb events immediately as they appear is that sometimes they'll go away and you'll miss out on stuff. And really, the whole reason to play the game is for the events. Just sticking to the main line throws away half the game's amusing interactions. Better just to cheat though the farming or it becomes incredibly tedious.
I didn't want to replay the game, it wasn't fun, so I tried to unlock every character event I could find. Even if I focused only on my favorite characters it would still take way too much grinding for my tastes.

You would get to do missing events after beating final story boss, as well as the events that should be part of main game, but were cut from it for some reason and added as a bonus ones. Basically the whole post game is just tying loose ends. Not 100% sure if you get all of them, as I focused on the ones I least likely to see later first, but it definitely should be possible to complete all characters at that point.

Last edited:
Some new shit in a music CD.

Can anyone actually see the images I post? I gust get [ IMG ] . I even see it in the stuff I posted years ago.

jM1p8

Anyway Arios is "back" to make his first canon appearance.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Can anyone actually see the images I post? I gust get [ IMG ] . I even see it in the stuff I posted years ago.

jM1p8

Anyway Arios is "back" to make his first canon appearance.
Can't see the one in this post. I don't know what causes the problem either though...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Stuff you posted years ago on dropbox is deleted already. And for your current posting you should grab that address from imgur that's more suitable for forums. Aka without src= and similar crazy stuff.

Nostaljaded

Savant
These 2 factions in X should ring more bells with the English fans.

Zeth
9rICGN0.png

JAPAN
8lPCJ4z.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom