Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Nostaljaded

Savant
Rance X Gameplay Info tidbits (with some inference of my own)

7-Unit Party Assignment

Fs9ETOZ.jpg

Each unit slot is represented by a different faction
, e.g. Hero-Rance, Leazas, Helman, Zeth, Free Cities Alliance, JAPAN, Others, Demi-Human, Deity & Demon

A Leader [character card] from the faction will be assigned to that particular unit slot/faction.

Faction Attack Power [yellow cross-sword symbol] = total sum of characters' attack power in that faction [red sword symbol] + Leader modifier

Faction Useable Skills
= Leader Skills with their associated AP costs

Battle Info

WIckjje.jpg

Damage Dealt = faction attack power (x skill damage modifier x enemy weakness to skill type modifier x enemy weakness to leader element modifier?)

Party HP Gauge = total sum of factions' HP [blue heart symbol] participating in battle (+ some modifiers?)

Source

Nostaljaded

Savant
Is it wrong of me to have been hoping for something more sengoku-y?
For Rance X, C&C wise maybe to a limited extent, battle gameplay unlikely.

Alicesoft currently has 6 games in development.

3 RPG [Rance X, Donna Donna (provisional title), RPG3 (3D, like Evenicle)] + 3 ADV/VN

Besides Rance finale, looking forward to Donna Donna as it's (probably) aiming for a light-hearted/humorous angle.

sg8gzo3.jpg

XioAxwQ.jpg

pK7sp2m.jpg

PdbMF16.jpg

h1BonC9.jpg
Source

FYI TADA has reached his 50-years-old milestone.

Seems like it will get released on Feb-23.

For what they have shown so far:
-Absurd number of characters. Kamilla might be back, Nikkou the sword has human form like in KR, a previously dead demon is resurrected (the Oni chick is the new form of the demon coprpse from R4)
-Grand strategy angle. Rance leads a squad of elite demon killers.
-Each of the 4 major realms is being attacked separatedly and has it's own war progress. % of living humans is shown.
-The civil war among the demons ended and Hornet (the loser) seems to be a hostage to force her supporters (Silky is one of the attackers) joing the war.

Basically humans are completly fucked (without Rance). Not only the monster army is huge, they have satellites and shit and can probably trasport troops by air since they are attacking as faw away as Leazas.

I suppose there will also be a Creator phase
Sir British might have been freed from the concrete wall he was trapped since forever, Nikkou has human form etc. this characters were quite important in the Creator phase of KR. The demon Warg has a cetacean looking familliar too. She was a vital character for the happiest ending of KR

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Seems like it will get released on Feb-23.

For what they have shown so far:
-Absurd number of characters. Kamilla might be back, Nikkou the sword has human form like in KR, a previously dead demon is resurrected (the Oni chick is the new form of the demon coprpse from R4)
-Grand strategy angle. Rance leads a squad of elite demon killers.
-Each of the 4 major realms is being attacked separatedly and has it's own war progress. % of living humans is shown.
-The civil war among the demons ended and Hornet (the loser) seems to be a hostage to force her supporters (Silky is one of the attackers) joing the war.

Basically humans are completly fucked (without Rance). Not only the monster army is huge, they have satellites and shit and can probably trasport troops by air since they are attacking as faw away as Leazas.

I suppose there will also be a Creator phase
Sir British might have been freed from the concrete wall he was trapped since forever, Nikkou has human form etc. this characters were quite important in the Creator phase of KR. The demon Warg has a cetacean looking familliar too. She was a vital character for the happiest ending of KR
I have a feeling of sudden burst of testosterone just from reading this :obviously:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yeah. Recruiting those glorious bastards is a bitch.

The problem is that unlocking all the bonuses doesn't actually improve the later playthroughs. The only one I use now is additional characters for Shizuka. Game needs to be tougher, not easier. Starting with 3 comand fans or the battle permits is just cheese.

Try beating the game on * * * * * difficulty, iron man, without replenishing troops...

Did you beat Road to Hades yet?

You could also try getting some of the secret characters like Hara Sanya, Gracia or Copa recruit. The game has many easter eggs that aren't on the walkthroughs. I've never recruited Seigan yet.

Not sure which route I like best, the alternate routes aren't as interesting as the true route. In Kenshin route you lose Orochi, Ran route is kind of vanilla, but it's the only route other than KTM with the Shimazu brothers recruitable and *ahem* certain characters surviving to the end. Isoroku route doesn't really have anything funky besides some extra cgs.

I suppose I could try some weird things out of the Kenshin route.

I had a lot of fun trying to figure out the ideal walkthrough for a first playthrough. Maybe you can try to find a better one? Actually I found a T36 4 fan walkthrough that I like a lot better; compared to the T35 walkthrough, you get to recruit Senhime before fighting the Takeda blitz, you don't delay recruiting Kanami (so you get Leila earlier), you don't have to dismiss Rizna, and you get to opress the Tenshi cult for gold and H.

I would like to play Sengoku Rance again but I'm saving myself for the official translation.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I would like to play Sengoku Rance again but I'm saving myself for the official translation.
Problem with official translation is you'll probably lose your progress, and have to play through 0 star. Which sucks.

After millions of hours in Sengoku Rance, finally unlocked the Takeda family bonus :negative:
Grats man, I tried that once, but one of the fuckers disappeared off the face of the earth.
Well, I will play some DARKNESSHERO RANCE (Kichikou Rance Free for All in SR)
Is this done now? It seemed very early beta when I last checked it out.

Starting with 3 comand fans or the battle permits is just cheese.
Personally, I find starting with 3 command fans to be nice, because if you don't, your first dozen turns are all about getting that 3rd fan. 4th fan is a lot further away, and less important, so you never have to rush it in the same way.

Jason Liang

Arcane
There's no reason not to rush the 4th Fan. If you don't make the 4th Fan a priority, you'll end up getting it on turn 50 insteasd of turn 36, which is a huge difference.

5th Fan is more dubious. For it to break even, you have to rush it. Otherwise you should just skip it (as well as further H actions). This is just from a pure strategic perspective.

For me this is the most ingenious system of Sengoku Rance. The purpose of conquest is to H more, and there are no actions more profitable than H actions (until you get the 4th fan). The whole game is set up to reward you for giving in to Rance's Satisfaction. Until you get the 4th Fan, if an action does not at least indirectly result in +1 satisfaction later on, you are better off Hareming.

That playstyle of gaming the game is not something I ever found fun myself (Be it SR or anything else), and unless extra difficult modes do something beyond boosting numbers I don't bother. I prefer playing in a less restrained way.

About DARKNESSHERO RANCE I have just started, but some of the commander choices are lulzy. Playing as "Thieves" I get to Control Rance, Sill Plain, The siblings from KR, Feliss and Pill Slain (aka Blue Sill).

TigerKnee

Arcane
Wonder if that guy will have to do the entire mod over if it's not compatible with the official version.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, apart from sengoku rance, which are the best (translated) Rance games and what type of gameplay do they have?

Grinolf

Arcane
So, apart from sengoku rance, which are the best (translated) Rance games and what type of gameplay do they have?

There are only 2 games comparable to SR
Kichikuou Rance, which is very similar to SR by gameplay but with some rough edges.
Rance 6, which is dungeon crawler. Main problem with the gameplay its low difficulty, and it becomes even more trivial by the end, when game gives you group of overpowered to broken characters. Despite that it's quite fun to play. But its main strength is the story, which is not without an issues but decent, and may even be called very good by video game standards.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
If you like the characters and setting, then play the remade 2, Kichikuou, and 6. 5D is also worth a quick playthrough since it's so short, and you get Rizna and Copadon's story (and get a sense of Athena 2.0).

The translated old version of 3 is playable too in case you just can't get enough of Kanami, Shizuka and/or Maria.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Rance X battle and quest game mechanics may not be as bad as anticipated after looking at their systems webpage.

Residents in Rance Castle for Rance X (with 1 new character)

MynGN8w.png

Will be doing up a Rance X avatar package (100+) after game release.
(portraits with huge face proportions [mostly enemies] will likely be excluded as those require resizing, thereby degrading the image quality)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom