Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any word on what's next for English translation?

TigerKnee

Arcane
It's either Sengoku unless they think it's somehow completely unprofitable or Quest.

Unless you mean from the entire library of Alicesoft, and then no one can tell you - maybe they'll pick Escalayer because the Anime was very popular in the past.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Voted for IX first and Magnum second.
I have high hopes for them translating something Rance related, considering Rance 6 + 5D was a top seller on Mangagamer for like 6 weeks.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Even if IX gets the votes, someone actually has to do the work to translate it.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Rance X ships with English localization?

Red Eye

Learned
Even if IX gets the votes there is no point releasing it before Quest.

Once we get to Rance IX, we reach a point where the men are actually more interesting than the women.

Agreed though I do love the IX heroines

7WMxQXV.jpg

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wanted to buy Rance on MangaGamer but they dont accept paypal, now Im conflicted.

Xeon

Augur
Question regarding Haniwa plains,

Adert I think told me about a nun in the plains, went there and got the Hanny Castle Key, how do I access the castle? There's a platform that I can't get to.

I explored almost the entire place and killed everything except the special encounter with the Golden Hanny guys, do I really need to clear those guy? The explosive attack takes an entire row and there are 2 of them.

Nothing new showing up in the map.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Uh?

Dude, if you can't take care of that first Hanny encounter, don't even dream about doing Hanny King. That's like the absolute very last thing you can do, if you are a masochist who loves to grind.

You get to where his castle is via a special event from someone who has a strong connection to Hannies...

Jason Liang

Arcane
My strategy against that Golden Hanny special encounter was to have Cessna Get Serious with the Hannie Killer License. Kill only one Hanny in the front row and ignore the rest. Try to use Kanami and Coloria to paralyze the red Hannies but once the Golden Hanny appears concentrate on it. If you don't kill more than one Hanny at a time you wont have to fight multiple Golden Hannies. They actually aren't so difficult Cessna deals about 4k damage and Rance deals about 1k damage with Rance attack. You can easily beat it before the Magic kidnapping mission.

But you get jack shit for beating it afaik. No Red Coupon but you get 1100 gold.

Of course, I'm probably already over-leveled.

2ll299d.jpg

Hammer time. Notice that Caloria has paralyzed one of the Red Hanny. They deal a ton of damage so that's important.

28s4sw6.jpg

1054a5t.jpg

So judging from this Golden Hannys have about 10k hp.

jiceq9.jpg

Caloria got whacked but she managed to paralyze the Golden Hanny first.

xb0jed.jpg

Cessna smites paralyzed Hannies even harder.

mv6738.jpg

We then lost Cessna too but at least the Golden Hannys are dead.

2ymbz8n.jpg

Capodan wipes out most of the Hannys with one attack. NOT MAGIC.

29vfjhu.jpg

Surprise! One wing angel here. No Cessna but Rance and Sill got this.

2i88weh.jpg

qsm4np.jpg

Here comes the money shot.

260zn1c.jpg

2iad3ee.jpg

8x07dx.jpg

All that for 10 xp.

Last edited:

Red Eye

Learned
Jason Liang that isn't the Golden Hanny.

That is a super hanny which is the strongest version of regular mob hanny that you can encounter.

The Golden Hanny is a separate fight much later.

Jason Liang

Arcane
VI-Golden-Hanny.png

I just realized, Hanny are supposed to be a parody of Japanese popular culture, aren't they?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Kichikuou makes you miss so many characters and events if you don't read a walkthrough it isn't even funny...

Jason Liang

Arcane
It's quite interesting, Rance VI almost feels like a refined remake of Kichikuou- you can tell that Alice had already completely fleshed out the Zeth characters and storyline in Kichikuou. Kichikuou anticipates the story of Rance VI and the gameplay of Sengoku Rance.

Now that I've played VI, it'll be harder to dump Rizna next time I revisit Sengoku.

Last edited:

Red Eye

Learned
It's quite interesting, Rance VI almost feels like a refined remake of Kichikuou- you can tell that Alice had already completely fleshed out the Zeth characters and storyline in Kichikuou. Kichikuou anticipates the story of Rance VI and the gameplay of Sengoku Rance.

Now that I've played VI, it'll be harder to dump Rizna next time I revisit Sengoku.

Really? I mean VI and IX obviously borrow elements of the KR plots in their game (SR as well but KR JAPAN wasn't particularly detailed) but Zeth in VI is greatly developed compared to KR.

One thing is that large parts of Rance VI's plot (especially with Kamilla, the monster army and Kayblis in the background) are heavily integrated into the overarching plot of the series.

It feels more like a few recycled and expanded concepts than anything else.

Gandhi, Magic and most of the generals and four lords might be similar but imo Alex is different.

Obviously Ice Flame and Pentagon and Urza and Abert didn't even exist in KR. Patton's character development is set up for its different direction to KR. Kamilla's actually set up for a different role in X compared to VI.

Grinolf

Arcane
It's quite interesting, Rance VI almost feels like a refined remake of Kichikuou- you can tell that Alice had already completely fleshed out the Zeth characters and storyline in Kichikuou.
There is a very big change to Gandhi in 6. He still has the same archetype of King playing superhero, but retardness of his KR version is completely gone, and he doesn't offer his subordinates to a random criminals, but instead just beat them and send them to prison.
Also I actually remember KR doing much better job fleshing out demons than 6 did, despite much bigger scope and greater amount of characters. In 6 they are the weakest part of the story and just a plot device, that serve as obligatory bosses, and before you face them as a bosses, majority of them had just couple of scenes with several lines in each. "Final" boss isn't much better. There is one notable exception, but he is a completely new character.

Red Eye

Learned
It's quite interesting, Rance VI almost feels like a refined remake of Kichikuou- you can tell that Alice had already completely fleshed out the Zeth characters and storyline in Kichikuou.
There is a very big change to Gandhi in 6. He still has the same archetype of King playing superhero, but retardness of his KR version is completely gone, and he doesn't offer his subordinates to a random criminals, but instead just beat them and send them to prison.
Also I actually remember KR doing much better job fleshing out demons than 6 did, despite much bigger scope and greater amount of characters. In 6 they are the weakest part of the story and just a plot device, that serve as obligatory bosses, and before you face them as a bosses, majority of them had just couple of scenes with several lines in each. "Final" boss isn't much better. There is one notable exception, but he is a completely new character.

Its basically because Kayblis isn't present but its made obvious that this whole threat is just an extremely small part of his forces and that he is far stronger than them.

Seizel's not meant to be a threat and
like Abert's other tests Kamilla is half way through character and plot development.

Grinolf

Arcane
Its basically because Kayblis isn't present but its made obvious that this whole threat is just an extremely small part of his forces and that he is far stronger than them.

Seizel's not meant to be a threat and
like Abert's other tests Kamilla is half way through character and plot development.

Even if we compare demons just from the beginning of KR, when they assault your castle, and ignore any further events with their faction with the same demons in 6, the comparison wouldn't be in favor of later.

Jason Liang

Arcane
FUUUUUUU

How close am I

30arz10.jpg

j0lo4h.jpg

Is it possible to get a 2nd Hanny Smasher License or am I just unlucky

Last edited:

Grinolf

Arcane
FUUUUUUU

How close am I

Is it possible to get a 2nd Hanny Smasher License or am I just unlucky

I think he is supposed to be killed after final boss, when your party would be higher lvl with S weapons and one less mandatory mage. But from the other hand you loose Urza and Rick, which is pretty big hit to overall party strength.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yeah I think he'd be easier with Cessna and Kaoru too.

UPDATE: Ho ho. I did it! But I got too excited and hit the wrong key and didn't get a proper screenshot. It probably is easier with Uruza and Rick, I just wasn't using Rick correctly.

UPDATE 2: Beat him again, took real pictures this time.

This felt slightly more satisfying than beating Orochi in Sengoku Rance; the Orochi fight can't really be beaten "fairly", you have to exploit the system. On the other hand, Orochi you had to crawl through 18 floors of dungeon first, which made that fight much more stressful and FUUUU.

Now... where is this Gunagan fellow?

2lcpmyh.jpg

2qd93qx.jpg

97m97d.jpg

2rh8hm9.jpg

287zs5g.jpg

Below from first time beating the Hanny King. Unfortunately I got Bonsai'd out before I could take a camp screenshot for 2nd time since HK killed Kanami, my only character not in Serious Mode, with his last attack.

zt82n7.jpg

2ldkkgn.jpg

4sz2f4.jpg

And you were right, so it's probably a joke.

nvnthd.jpg

Last edited:

Grinolf

Arcane
Yeah I think he'd be easier with Cessna and Kaoru too.

UPDATE: Ho ho. I did it! But I got too excited and hit the wrong key and didn't get a proper screenshot. It probably is easier with Uruza and Rick, I just wasn't using Rick correctly.

Waiting until final story mission would allowed to have Cessna or Kaoru while still having Urza and Rick, as Gandi would leave your party before it starts, so it should be the most optimal time to beat him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom