Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Nostaljaded

Savant
Rance VI is 1 of the few games where gaypad support is a bliss to prevent mouse-related RSI development.
It should still be supported in the translated version.

Rance Quest (VIII) frequent skill & party re-composition and dynamic manual targeting will probably lead to mouse fatigue.
Very similar to Rance VI but with 2~3x more mouse-related management.

Rance 03 skill assignment, exploration & combat can all be circumvented (and becomes a joy) by using AHK keyboard reassignments due to their static, distinct button layout.

P.S. Guess Rance fans are all coming out of their closets to cheer for his glory days. :D

Make sure you get the event in the first area that requires 3 (yellow or blue, can't remember) orbs before it appears. It gives Rance a free +1 SP that you'll forever miss out on if you don't get it before leaving. It's also a good event:smug:

Also protip: The rank of the eggs you get to improve your equipment is based on your current party, so if Rance has A equipment and everyone else has B, get the points for the eggs with only Rance in the party. And of course only use the Large eggs for your final equipment since you can't replace them if you put in something smaller.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Make sure you get the event in the first area that requires 3 (yellow or blue, can't remember) orbs before it appears. It gives Rance a free +1 SP that you'll forever miss out on if you don't get it before leaving. It's also a good event:smug:
FUCK

Also protip: The rank of the eggs you get to improve your equipment is based on your current party, so if Rance has A equipment and everyone else has B, get the points for the eggs with only Rance in the party. And of course only use the Large eggs for your final equipment since you can't replace them if you put in something smaller.
Ah, so that's what's happening there. I was holding off on upgrading anyone to B from C until I had some eggs ready to go. Gave up and just upgraded anyway eventually.

What's with Serious Mode? Absolute last resort ability only to be used if you really don't want to reload?

Problem is that there are no free actions in Rance 6 IIRC, so you are sacrificing a turn that you could have used to kill things. Very rare that you'll spend time buffing.

Red Eye

Learned
FUCK

Ah, so that's what's happening there. I was holding off on upgrading anyone to B from C until I had some eggs ready to go. Gave up and just upgraded anyway eventually.

What's with Serious Mode? Absolute last resort ability only to be used if you really don't want to reload?

Don't worry. Rance has high SP and the main strategy for dungeons is to explore with the B team and switch in the A squad for red enemies and for boss fights

Grinolf

Arcane
Don't worry. Rance has high SP and the main strategy for dungeons is to explore with the B team and switch in the A squad for red enemies and for boss fights

Still it's worth to max Rance battle participation because of Protagonist, which in most cases can't be done just by putting him in boss fights.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Actually, checked a walkthrough to see what that event was and I do remember it. Don't recall making an effort to hoard orbs though, must have got lucky.

Any point to releasing party members from the Base Screen?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Lolita House

:what:

That raw meat comparison maybe laugh though, fucking grim.

That AoE attack guy at the end of Amber Castle was brutal. A quite long level with plenty of deadends to accidentally waste time/sp in meant I got there with no healers left, guy absolutely destroyed me. Fortunately, going through the level again while knowing the path and skipping dialogues was far quicker than I thought it would be. But damn, cheap shot.

Grinolf

Arcane
That AoE attack guy at the end of Amber Castle was brutal. A quite long level with plenty of deadends to accidentally waste time/sp in meant I got there with no healers left, guy absolutely destroyed me. Fortunately, going through the level again while knowing the path and skipping dialogues was far quicker than I thought it would be. But damn, cheap shot.
I'm remember this guy be quite a wimp, but I returned to the base to buy some keys, so I was mostly fresh when fighting him. There are several tougher fights in towers with similar aim to catch exhausted party off guard.
But general against AoE bosses is just to bring multiple guys with stun attacks (Urza, insect girl, Rance with upgrade, Kanami). And the first two are purely boss killers, so they should usually be saved until the end of the run. Urza, insect girl and Rance could keep boss like Gele stunned for 90% of the time, making supposedly unwinnable battle very trivial without even need for healer. Adding Kanami would probably made the fight even more cheesy, but I already used her fully at that point.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Right, fight was nothing when I made the beeline for it on the 2nd go, was just referring it jumping me with a surprise hard hitter after a level full of wet noodles. Only had 4 left ready to fight, all ~50% and no heals. Don't think I even cleared his mates out before he ended me. Was especially devastating because I stared at that star for a good minute, thinking about retreating or using some pills to get more people ready before deciding to risk it :lol:.

For stunning him though, how does that work? Flat chance based on the ability used? Effected by resistance/defense/level difference? FR bonus upgrades used on the ability increase chance of success? Perhaps I got extremely unlucky, but ninja girl shuriken and insect girl poison needle (? the very low damage one that says higher chance to stun) didn't get him once on my successful attempt. Relied on Sill aoe heal spam which kept 3/6 up until last turn, and even then, had plenty in reserve.

Did I fuck up permanently by not fully exploring some of these maps while I had the mission there: Pentagon hideout, Bank, Amber Castle, Graveyard, probably more. Or will they eventually appear for free exploration like Italia, Nearby Forest etc. And is there any point to the Naked Cutout I bought/buying more of them?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That depends on how crazy completionist you are. I think some places you can't do a 100% clear if you don't do it right on first visit (temporary keys etc.).

But the only reason you'd want to revisit locations is to farm or to get S rank weapons. And only S-rank you can (probably) miss early on is the trainer, as some gal monsters seem pretty rare. But no sane person would probably S-rank him, that's like 30+ gal monsters to capture...

Grinolf

Arcane
For stunning him though, how does that work? Flat chance based on the ability used? Effected by resistance/defense/level difference? FR bonus upgrades used on the ability increase chance of success? Perhaps I got extremely unlucky, but ninja girl shuriken and insect girl poison needle (? the very low damage one that says higher chance to stun) didn't get him once on my successful attempt. Relied on Sill aoe heal spam which kept 3/6 up until last turn, and even then, had plenty in reserve.
I didn't mean him specifically (he is too weak for a battle ready party), but similar but stronger bosses who use AoE attacks. I didn't see any information on what affect the chances, but having 3 characters to spam attacks with stun should make them fairly consistent. Poison Needle and Urza's third skill should have the biggest chance to succeed in exchange for reduced damage, so having two of them and some other character with stun makes chance of success very very high. There isn't any upgrades that increase a chance to stun. Kaoru and Rance have upgrades that made one of their abilities to have a chance to stun, which should be a priority to take. Kanami and insect girl have an upgrades that improve the damage of their stun abilities, but I doubt they affect stun chance in any way. Still they ok to take, as they reduce your loss of damage by using these abilities, but they don't feel very important. And Urza doesn't have any upgrades, so no point of using any presents on her.

As far as I remember, from these maps only graveyard could be revisited multiple times, so unpicked items and rewards of opening the map should be lost forever. Cutout looks like a joke item along with some character upgrades, and A armor upgrades are the only items worth of buying in this shop, as farming large ones for your whole party looks like a waste of time for me.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh the irony ;z

rance6_law_of_karma.jpg

Rance certainly has no luck when it comes to gender bending...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
God damn, I have to say, even after all those years Rance 6 is still a damn good game!

Took me several weekends to complete, despite the fact that I'd already played it through in Japanese back in the day. And still have a few optional fights and character clears to do.

Classics

rance6_dick_of_my_soul.jpg

Fresh new experiences

rance6_frozen_hyperweapon.jpg

Unforgettable encounters

rance6_morning_after.jpg

(made even more hilarious by the lack of censorship)

And honest to god puzzles

rance6_calculator_cube.jpg

And this is really, really top notch release! They added new features (autosaves!), remastered all the art without raping the sprites and translated (or adapted) quite a few puns in a very tasteful fashion. If anything deserves financial success then this does.

Official Codex review when? Infinitron Crooked Bee

Jason Liang

Arcane
It happens but it's pretty rare:

from Rance 02 (part of a puzzle):
0076.jpg

I think there was a second puzzle involving a monster gal later in that game but I can't find the cg or remember if there was a cg for it.

Nope, Ralcat (above) was what I was thinking of. However, looking at Alicesoft's wikipage, Ralga is considered a Rare Gal Monster, so here you go:

0045.jpg

0078.jpg

0044.jpg

Also, Kinryuu from Daibanchou is also a rare Gal Monster.

Last edited:

Red Eye

Learned
stupid question... has... rance ever shown fucking the monster girls...?

Rance has stated he doesn't really like gal monsters compared to humans as they are hit and miss.

He's fucked a few uniques like Revenge-chan (or Lil Avenger now I guess) and Ralga.

In Rance III and IV there were a few lines when you captured a gal monster which indicated Rance was fucking them.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Once we get to Rance IX, we reach a point where the men are actually more interesting than the women.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom