Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

Open World Mayhem is the exact antithesis to id Software's ethos of hand-crafted level design. Instead Avalanche gets to make a shitty Far Cry-style sandbox shooter. Will there be l00t bawkses too I wonder? I'm replaying RAGE now and I must give id credit for their meticulous attention to detail. Even the characters are painstakingly key-frame animated to ridiculous levels.

Fuck that. At least there's still new Prey stuff coming. Woe if Arkane succumbs to the open-world Bethesda disease.

Yeah I played the original Rage just a couple years ago, and I have to agree about the character animations - they were amazing, even by today's standards.

There's that one mission later in the game where you have to blow up a tunnel or similar, and on the way you run into a couple construction workers, one of which is using a jackhammer. I swear I watched the guy with the jackhammer for minutes, just because of how impressive the animation was.

There really were a few standout moments in that game which kind of hinted towards what the original intent was, but it just fell short.

I'm in the same boat. Played Rage for the first time like two or three years ago now, was kind of taken aback by how great the characters looked, both in design and animation. Design wise what I'm seeing of this is worrying, because this doesn't look up to snuff with the original. and if you're going to do a sequel to the original you don't fuck with the one aspect they totally nailed. The weird thing about this slight aesthetic shift is Rage was pre-Mad Max Fury Road, after that movie they should be doubling down on that Rage's aesthetic, not doing some five years late hipster take on it.

Openworld driving stuff, and just the openworld aspect in general I'm guessing Avalanche will do better. Shooting looks like it could maybe be good, but I need to see more. Towns are totally up in the air.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
:argh::argh: <---- Rage 2 (my reaction to the game no one asked for)

I hope this is not their only "Trump" for E3...

DeepOcean

Arcane
There is a leak that claim they are going to show a Fallout 4 spin off, could care less, if it isn't written/designed by Avellone, Ziets, Gonzales and Fenstermaker (even if this last one disappointed me a few times) and has the retarded Fallout 4 character progression system, they could call if Borderlands 4 for all I care.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I enjoyed some of the gunfights in Rage a lot, so it's unfortunate that they seem to be getting rid of the only thing that carried the game for me. The little snippets of gunplay basically looked like the Far Cry sequels to me. Probably not terrible, but not enticing at all now.
I forget if it was said in here or in the YouTube comments I read, but yeah, Hot Topic: Fury Road.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/05/30/nordisk-film-acquires-avalanche-studios.aspx

Nordisk Film Acquires Avalanche Studios

Nordisk Film, a Danish film studio and distribution company, has announced that they have wholly acquired Avalanche Studios, the developer behind Mad Max, Just Cause, and the recently announced Rage 2.

According to Avalanche, this deal changes very little, as the studio still has full creative freedom and the only personnel change being made is Nordisk's managing director Mikkel Weider joining Avalanche's board. Avalanche's current agreement with other publishers will still continue, with the door left open to further opportunities.

This deal provides Avalanche with a bit more financial stability and allows them to open new studios without constantly needing to seek out new publisher contracts. Nordisk has been a minority stakeholder in the developer since last year, upping their purchase to a €89,000,000 ($103 million) acquisition of all the shares and the entire company.

During our coverage of Mad Max, we went through Avalanche's history with the people who lived it. You can explore that in the video below.

Avalanche is currently working on Rage 2 in cooperation with Id for Bethesda, which we expect to see more of at Bethesda's E3 conference.

God thanks I was concerned Bethesda might end up acquiring this popamole studio.

Vexxt

Educated
At first I wasn't sure if I liked the color-palette in the reveal trailer, but after seeing this extended gameplay segment I ave to say I really like it now. The gunplay looks awesome - kind of like they took the FPS pieces of nuDoom and stuck it in a Just Cause open world.

The environmental variety is also welcome -

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I really can't agree that it looks like new Doom much at all, not that I'd praise that resemblance much anyway, if it were the case. It looked like a pretty generic FPS to me, akin to the newer CoD games, now that they have the double jumping and arena fight areas, and such.
The environments themselves do look really cool, though.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
it looks like nuDoom in terms of the movement system and some of the player abilities
however, the biggest red flag is the fact that a lot of the presented grunt enemies are hitscan, combined with slow player movement speed and levels with barely any cover in them but enemies everywhere
from what I saw the player just tanked everything, there would have to be some catch to the combat or health system for this to actually work without being a battle of attrition or popamole
at least some of the later enemies looked interesting

Cadmus

Arcane
No way the game is gonna look half that good as the trailers suggest and there it's not even that good looking.
Secondly, the gunplay looks fun.
Thirdly, there's gonna be 6 enemies per arena max. I guarantee it.
Thus it's gonna be fucking boring and repetetive.

Venser

Erudite
The collector's edition looks awful. Who would even want that mutant head?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom