Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review [Quickie Nr. 005] Turgor, Tension, The Void Review

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Sep 1, 2016.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Ice-Pick Lodge; Quickie; Tension; The Void; Turgor

While we're waiting for the next Gamescom report, let's insert a brief pentaquickie. With the fifth entry to our prestigious Quickie review series Konjad takes us on a voyage through Turgor, Tension, and The Void, different versions of a game published by Ice-Pick Lodge. Technically not an RPG the game nevertheless managed to win Konjad's affection.
    Is the game really that good or is Konjad just a young, impressionable nerd swayed by the female nudity in this game? Discuss!

Read the full article: [Quickie Nr. 005] Turgor, Tension, The Void Review

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    great job as always

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Apan Savant Patron

Apan
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    no steam version?

^ Top  
  4. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Ah, I remember this game when I reviewed games for a magazine. I gave it 65% and labeled it as an unoptimized mess which looks like shit, with gameplay issues.

Haha, come on, shoot me! I know you want to!

In all seriousness, for me this game is a prime example of "you don't get it" effect. I admit, I don't get this game.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Can't really blame you, IPL's games are odd, hence they are not liked by a lot of people, but at the same time they have their niche and a fanbase that totally loves them. Though personally I only like very much Pathologic and The Void, while I can't say much good about Cargo! and Knock-Knock... hence I'm a little worried about Pathologic's remake.
    You cannot buy the game on Steam at this time being.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    Nakit wymin.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Dicksmoker Arcane

Dicksmoker
    Parrots:
    If "not getting it" means you don't want to fail the game because you didn't do something properly at the beginning which you couldn't have known about (i.e. early adventure game bad design), then yeah, I guess you could say you didn't get it. I also "didn't get it."

• butthurt butthurt x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    I also didn't get it. I can only remember that after a confusing intro I was thrown on an ugly, barren 3D scene surrounded by nothing, and had to collect paint.
    Moreover I always had this nagging feeling that this game in fact came about as a chaotic mixture of 3d models and unrelated ideas, and then someone decided to make it into a game and call it art.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Murk Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Murk
    Parrots:
    good game, good review

would brofist again

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Yeah, this also happened. I don't remember what, but I messed up some stuff in the beginning, and hours later I got into a situation where it was game over nomatter what I did.

^ Top  
  11. Kron Arcane

Kron
    Parrots:
    Definitely an interesting game, played it several times just to sink into the depressing mood, probably will replay it in the near future, and I still listen to the soundtrack regularly.

Still it is a mixed bag for me; its strongest point is the visual design of certain areas, like specific chambers of the sisters and some of the gardens; and the soundtrack is also appropriately moody.

What I really can't stomach is the "poetic" writing. It's just total nonsense to me, and comes across as pretentious. Also the overarching theme and plot of the game puts me off, it has this general faggy feeling to it; instead of being some tortuous inner analysis of what consciousness and meaningful life is, it devolves into a cheap "love creates life" thing. And call me paranoid, but the fact that women are portrayed as the sole saviors and men as the evil destructive meanies, to me contributes to this faggy writing feeling. The game really makes no effort to disguise that the girls are the good ones and the brothers the evil ones, and it provides no real closure if you choose to "side" with the brothers. For a game that claims to be thematically and artistically mature, it really is a simplistic dichotomy.

Not trying to sound like a tryhard macho alpha, etc. But these themes are not what I would be interested in exploring in an existential game about life and death.

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Yeah the game should have constant tutorial tips popping up and allow you to fuck up constantly with no punishment or consequences. Nice to see the codex earning its reputation.

I've never finished this game but I love it and one of the reasons I love it is because you can get into unwinnable situations.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Good for you, have fun with the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    I'll have fun with your mom.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    You don't know what you don't know.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Yeah, it all feels like teenager bullshit. Or like the typical ruski game.
    Nothing much interesting in the gameplay either.

overall meh 9/10 would fap again

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Leechmonger Learned

Leechmonger
    Parrots:
    I think I liked it when it came out, but it strikes me as immensely pretentious now. I should replay it one day and see what I think of it now.

^ Top  
  18. Dicksmoker Arcane

Dicksmoker
    Parrots:
    You're an idiot. Punishing you late-game for something you did early on =/= challenge.

:hmmm:

Games are meant to be finished.

And this is why you're a faggot.

• Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    Yeah, you should get consequences of your actions right away and not later, because it's confusing and difficult otherwise. Like Bioware who do it best, they are true geniuses of PC gaming. If you fuck up you just quickload and do it again until you get the best result. Anything else is an obvious turd!

No, your mom is. Some of us actually like their hobbies and enjoy good games - including the challenge on the way - not just completing them like addicted junkies who just want to +1 their prestigious gaming experience. The Void was made to be enjoyed, and I enjoyed it the first three times even though I failed miserably until I actually learned how to play. Learning is part of the fun in this game, just like in many others. Do you also bitch how shit Dwarf Fortress is because you didn't win the game when you tried? Or that you didn't finish Crusader Kings 2 because not only you did not manage to conquer the whole world and convert everyone, but also you were thrown to prison, and died?

If people like their games casual and easy, fine, I can understand not everyone likes challenge. However, when you say something like "Games are meant to be finished" telling others their ways of enjoyment are wrong and games should be done to YOUR liking, because you are the only one who gets it right, then you are an idiot. I played D:OS three times but never actually finished it - even though the first time I reached the end boss. End fight was boring shit, so I just stopped playing. I could finish the game within 15 minutes, but it stopped being fun and I just stopped. Games are not meant to be finished, not for me at least, games are meant to be enjoyed.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    Totally not my impression. First of all, I wouldn't attach any kind of 'love' to it, well, perhaps the nameless sister deserves it but then
    Show Spoiler
    she dies and resurrecting her requires metagaming, which is definitely not possible in the first playthrough
    Hence I wouldn't say the theme of the game is about 'love'.

Women definitely are not portrayed as sole saviors and pure beings, they both create life and destroy it:
    Show Spoiler
    when a girl goes to the world above she actually kills everyone in the void

In addition, some of them lie to the player, this is definitely not something that could pass as a positive trait.

Bros, on the other hand, are quite honest and while they look like monstrosities, their characters certainly are very human - and they are very reasonable! They don't believe in the world above, instead they think sisters are just simply deluded (to simplify it... it actually gets a bit more complex later), which is the reason why they act and they do, and while some of them are certainly abusive towards sisters, others care for them a lot. They are as different from each other as sisters are.

But as I said in my review - the game is not straightforward and might be interpreted in many ways, which is why I think the discussion about who what why can be a long one and never reach a conclusion, because different people will see the same thing in different light.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Grampy_Bone Learned

Grampy_Bone
    Parrots:
    Ha ha, oh jeez, this fucking game. It's certainly unique.

^ Top  
  22. RK47 Dog Armor Patron

RK47
    Parrots:
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Reviewer hasn't beaten Shiraoka so he doesn't know what he's talking about.

^ Top  
  23. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Parrots:
    Mm, by the way,

neither did you. :shittydog:

^ Top  
  24. RK47 Dog Armor Patron

RK47
    Parrots:
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
  25. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    The Void/Tension has been rereleased on Steam. It's on a cheap sale now. You can get it and it has 4 language versions: English, German, Polish and Russian. Obviously, English and German are the dumbed down version of the game. What is not obvious is that the Russian version is also the rereleased version of the game with reduced dialogues etc (the same as English and German ones). Therefore, the only original version is the Polish one. If you're a Pole then that's the end of the story, enjoy the game. However, if you don't speak Polish, then there's a work around. Download the game from Steam and set in the steam game options to use Polish version. Then follow this guide to install either Russian (VO and text) or English (just text) and enjoy the original version of the game.

(take note before infinitard removes my post again)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)